• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I wasn't aware there ever was a release on BluRay. This might have to do with the fact that the film was put on the index in Germany. Selling it is legal, advertising it is not.

smile Volker

Really? Does this have more to do with all the violence, or with the fact that the opening is staged after Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens? wink

A bit of the latter if I remember correctly. They said the film could be perceived as the glorification of a fascist system. The board obviously did not see the irony markers or thought they were to ambivalent.

Haha, wow. That is especially ironic given Paul Verhoeven grew up (very young) during the war, despises fascism, read the book and threw it away disgusted because of its fascist undertones, and basically created Starship Troopers as an angry indictment against it. And then to be banned (sort of) in Germany because of it...

These decisions are always questionable. Adjusted cuts of the film aired on German TV. The same goes for TERMINATOR, SCARFACE ... Doesn't happen often any more though and most of these bans haven been lifted since.

I do understand the difficult and sensitive nature of this, especially in Germany. Even though we live right next to you, we do not always realise the impact WWII had on Germany as a country and its people, and the nature of that impact, of which I was reminded a while ago thanks to a lecture on television and also because of Er Ist Wieder Da, a film which says a lot about the current roots of this troubled history. So I do recognise it's difficult for me to judge something like this.
  1. BobdH wrote

I do understand the difficult and sensitive nature of this, especially in Germany. Even though we live right next to you, we do not always realise the impact WWII had on Germany as a country and its people, and the nature of that impact, of which I was reminded a while ago thanks to a lecture on television and also because of Er Ist Wieder Da, a film which says a lot about the current roots of this troubled history. So I do recognise it's difficult for me to judge something like this.

In case of SCARFACE (the "amputation") and TERMINATOR (the "Eye surgery") it was indeed the depiction of violence, which has nothing to so with the Nazis.

However, what I do understand is that Nazi propaganda films like JUD SÜSS are not to be distributed in any way under penalty of law.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - John Williams

The terrific album presentation. Improving upon this is impossible.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - John Williams

The terrific album presentation. Improving upon this is impossible.

Volker

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - John Williams

The 2002 20th anniversary score album.
    Doubtless this presentation too has its merits. If the track list floating around the net is correct, the LLL CD adds about 3 minutes of music to this. Of course there will be the Matessino mastering and the new liner notes. Which prompted me to order that release. Still those two CDs basically provide you with everything you need.
  4. NP: Murder on the Orient Express (1974) - Richard Rodney Bennett

I love this score and I eagerly await Patrick Doyle's take on the material.
  5. NP: Caprica (2009) - Bear McCreary

The score of the pilot film. Lovely, melancholic music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited
    Browsing through Trevor Jones' oeuvre, as I tend to do once in a while, starting with Dark City's You Have the Power, to From Hell's haunting Pennies for the Ferryman, and now extending my sampling of his work with tracks from the actually wonderful Aegis. Now why didn't any of you tell me how great this is?
    Why have I never heard this yet? Sounds like I need to remedy this, as I somehow continue to stick to the familiars of his (Dark City, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell), deliciously dark as they are.

I should also revisit Thirteen Days again, which is criminally underrated but also rarely gets a spin from me. But whenever I do, I go, oh this is brilliant.
  6. Thirteen Days is probably my favorite Trevor Jones score. That and Merlin.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. hans zimmer - lorne balfe - genius vol1 and 2

has some good breaks in it, but overall and for the most part it's instantly forgettable stuff once you hit 'off' or 'stop' swoosh it completely and instantly vanishes from your mind smile it's like they don't even try sometimes , just collect the paychecks wink in a score about Einstein , called 'genius' you'd at least expect to hear some effort, some minimal stuff to do something with the music, a little innovation, freshness, character, a concept, something..instead it's wholly generic, cliched, all tricks expected and small-scale. The opposite of genius smile

Listened to this once. Terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. hans zimmer - lorne balfe - genius vol1 and 2

has some good breaks in it, but overall and for the most part it's instantly forgettable stuff once you hit 'off' or 'stop' swoosh it completely and instantly vanishes from your mind smile it's like they don't even try sometimes , just collect the paychecks wink in a score about Einstein , called 'genius' you'd at least expect to hear some effort, some minimal stuff to do something with the music, a little innovation, freshness, character, a concept, something..instead it's wholly generic, cliched, all tricks expected and small-scale. The opposite of genius smile

Small scale can be genius. I didn't listen to the full album, but it's not vol. 1 and 2 but rather an EP vs. an LP.

no man, this is silly music for idiots, not for geniuses wink

I'm not talking about this particular score, where I only heard the short album and don't remember a thing. I'm talking about saying that small scame can't be genius. It very well can and often it ends up that it's the smaller scores that end up being more interesting than the epics in recent times.

believe me, my problem is not that it's small-scale. it's the least of its problems smile and I am talking about the specific score and its problems.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Rebel in the Rye - Bear McCreary

The main theme might be the best thing he's ever composed. It's utterly brilliant and the opening track is one to replay again and again.
    The jazzy cues do little for me but the wonderful orchestral stuff accounts for what feels like his most mature dramatic score to date.

Bernstein meets Horner. It's really is gorgeous. One of McCreary's strongest dramatic efforts and one of my favourite scores of the year! McCreary is having another stand out year!

-Erik-

Really good indeed. Although somewhat unoriginal, but enjoyable indeed. What other standout scores he has out this year?

Colossal is worth hearing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thirteen Days is probably my favorite Trevor Jones score. That and Merlin.

Great composer. The Dark Crystal is still my favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: This Island Earth - Herman Stein / Hans J. Salter / Henry Mancini

A movie that has stuck with me since I was a kid. And the score is a great reminder of the movie, particularly late on in the score. A typical 1950s mix of sci-fi/horror ominous colours, blaring brass and more romantic passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Warning Sign - Craig Safan

I am finding this surprisingly good. Safan's choice of synths is quite appealing and so far the synth soundscapes tend to wash over rather than assaulting the listener. So far...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Untold - Jim Dooley

Another one of his orchestral compilations for Position Music. And it's great, too, full of large-scale, melodic bliss. Highly entertaining.
  9. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

It is, after all, the man's birthday smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Trevor Jones [...] extending my sampling of his work with tracks from the actually wonderful Aegis. Now why didn't any of you tell me how great this is?
    Why have I never heard this yet?

It's lovely, but not my favourite by a long shot.
    I think I got my copy from Japan (of all places) as at the time it was quite impossible to get, which may be the prime reason why it went under the radar like that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Trevor Jones [...] extending my sampling of his work with tracks from the actually wonderful Aegis. Now why didn't any of you tell me how great this is?
    Why have I never heard this yet?

It's lovely, but not my favourite by a long shot.
    I think I got my copy from Japan (of all places) as at the time it was quite impossible to get, which may be the prime reason why it went under the radar like that.

Ah right, that may also be why it all of a sudden popped up on iTunes with such a simple cover. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it all, but so far, it sounds typically Jones promising. But for me to become a favourite it needs to be brilliant to better Dark City and From Hell. Still, it feels like all of a sudden a new Trevor Jones score came out to me, so, yay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Aah, nothing better to get into the festivities than with a brooding, moody score to an existential rumination on existence during wartime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Aah, nothing better to get into the festivities than with a brooding, moody score to an existential rumination on existence during wartime.

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  10. BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

You know Pawel so well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Beautiful score, in his top three to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    BobdH wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

You know Pawel so well!

Pawel style indeed smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017 edited
    NP: ODDITIES & ENDS (Danny Elfman)

An iTunes album of 121 songs, 3 hours 48 minutes of rare Danny Elfman tracks (or singular score tracks). Right now music for the Tim Burton MoMA exhibition.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: The Avengers

and other scores by Laurie Johnson. (Varese) Nice album.

Volker
  12. NP: The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues - Ronald Stein

The random shuffle brings up another 1950s sci-fi/horror score. As with This Island Earth there's the romantic pieces but the similarities end there. This score is a lot less brash and a lot more atmospheric (in terms of proportion of style of music rather than compared with This Island Earth) and this lack of action reflects the poor quality of the movie as told by imdb.com user reviews.
  13. NP: Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

Too late in the evening to listen to the Deluxe Edition so choosing to go with the concise Varese release. They don't really make them like this very often nowadays.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

Too late in the evening to listen to the Deluxe Edition so choosing to go with the concise Varese release. They don't really make them like this very often nowadays.

I recollect that Basil had time on this and it shows. What a fantastic score.
  14. Don't like the original album, I like the Deluxe a lot. Go figure.