• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017
    Absolver Austin Wintory

Different territory for him, but it's really good.
  1. Demetris wrote
    alan silvestri - contact

they don't make them like this anymore

Always been somewhat of an underrated gem this one. The film is one of my personal top 10 films. I love it more than life itself.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thor wrote
    I adore the "album compilation" of that, myself.

About Crimson Tide, me too. Amazing action music and fantastic recording. The long tracks never bothered me... the progressive rock fan in me says so. cheesy

The 90s was most definitely Zimmer's best decade. An excellent Zimmer score almost every year.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Taboo - Max Richter

I've been waiting for this to appear since I watched the series earlier in the year. I just love the whole atmosphere that Richter conjures up based around string ostinato patterns and very low-end strings. One of my favourites of the year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

About Crimson Tide, me too. Amazing action music and fantastic recording. The long tracks never bothered me... the progressive rock fan in me says so. cheesy

The 90s was most definitely Zimmer's best decade. An excellent Zimmer score almost every year.

The sound quality on that one is fascinating as I do genuinely think that the last two tracks sound better than the first two tracks.

About the album programming. I definitely miss the main title cue as it's one I really memorized as a twelve year old (I saw the film AFTER The Rock, when I got interested in Hans' music already... and it made me a Tony Scott fan too) and perhaps not having it on the album was a disappointment. I still love it.

There is however a great piece in the film which is when Denzel takes the sub over for the first time and Hackman is sent to his quarters. It's a great honorable and slightly sad cue, which gives the French horns quite a bit of prominence. I probably would replace the beginning of Alabama (the weird ambience of the "boat sinks and yet not" thing that every submarine film has copied since Das Boot) with that especially that they wouldn't have to actually make a big cut out of it as it's the same piece as the suspense-action stuff that comes after.

There is stuff I wouldn't like to see on an album at all, really. There's the Fire in the Galley cue which is some of the most awkward action writing Hans ever wrote. There is the "torpedo in the water" motif which works fantastic in the film, but outside it's just kinda there. There are two one-minute long somber cues which would make just a decent filler but aren't necessary. But if they got the Command cue intact and perhaps the Main Title somewhere, I'd definitely be a happy camper. And they just could replace the other material that is in the suites already smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2017
    While I've seen the movie a couple of times and love it, I don't really have the intimate score-in-context knowledge that you have, Pawel. So what's missing/not missing, what is there/should be there etc. is not something I've thought a lot about. To me, it's just a singular concept album as is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Taboo - Max Richter

I've been waiting for this to appear since I watched the series earlier in the year. I just love the whole atmosphere that Richter conjures up based around string ostinato patterns and very low-end strings. One of my favourites of the year.

Is it out on Spotify? I've been waiting for this the whole year too.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yes, it's on Spotify here in the UK and is released on digital platforms today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I always feel like it's weird when people praise Crimson Tide for having "amazing action music". It barely has any action music at all! Sure, there's an incredible main theme with an action-ish feel to it, but actual proper action music is almost nonexistent. The bulk of the score is suspense or drama, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TABOO (Max Richter)

Hmmm....it was a little more grim and downbeat than I had remembered, but there's no question about the quality of the string writing. Just not sure if it's something I'll keep coming back to (unlike, say, THE LEFTOVERS).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote

Hmmm....it was a little more grim and downbeat than I had remembered, but there's no question about the quality of the string writing. Just not sure if it's something I'll keep coming back to (unlike, say, THE LEFTOVERS).

It is quite grim, yes. Perhaps you retain more of of the 'lighter' material in your mind. I love it!
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I always feel like it's weird when people praise Crimson Tide for having "amazing action music". It barely has any action music at all! Sure, there's an incredible main theme with an action-ish feel to it, but actual proper action music is almost nonexistent. The bulk of the score is suspense or drama, I'd say.

As is, actually, the film. The only bona fide action cue on the album and in the film is 1SQ as it's the only moment, where people are seriously physically running around the subs and that with guns. A lot of the material that people register as action music is from scenes in which people are looking at some screen scared, because most of it is about sinking a sub or being sunk. The music reflects that fairly well and the more "action-y" bits from these sequences ("torpedo in the water!") are missing from the Hollywood Records, an omission that does has it merits.

The film is more of a psychological thriller. The reason why I, personally, consider the score to be one of Hans' masterpieces (a rare rating I agree on with Clemmensen, especially in context on what happened later in the mid-90s) is that he plays that aspect with rare focus and mastery.
  9. Thor wrote
    While I've seen the movie a couple of times and love it, I don't really have the intimate score-in-context knowledge that you have, Pawel. So what's missing/not missing, what is there/should be there etc. is not something I've thought a lot about. To me, it's just a singular concept album as is.

I did find and get the complete score at some point as there was the main title cue which I've been looking for since I've almost been a film score fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Absolver Austin Wintory

Different territory for him, but it's really good.

struggling to find one Wintory score to help me understand what's the fuss with this guy, since day 1 seriously smile still struggling
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

It is quite grim, yes. Perhaps you retain more of of the 'lighter' material in your mind. I love it!

Grim? any melodies whatsoever or bassy drone instead? is the show any good? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

As is, actually, the film. The only bona fide action cue on the album and in the film is 1SQ as it's the only moment, where people are seriously physically running around the subs and that with guns. A lot of the material that people register as action music is from scenes in which people are looking at some screen scared, because most of it is about sinking a sub or being sunk. The music reflects that fairly well and the more "action-y" bits from these sequences ("torpedo in the water!") are missing from the Hollywood Records, an omission that does has it merits.

The film is more of a psychological thriller. The reason why I, personally, consider the score to be one of Hans' masterpieces (a rare rating I agree on with Clemmensen, especially in context on what happened later in the mid-90s) is that he plays that aspect with rare focus and mastery.

crimson tide is a fun, primitive LE version of his batman for nolan material smile
  10. Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Grim? any melodies whatsoever or bassy drone instead? is the show any good? thanks

I found the show to be one of the best of the year - I enjoyed the whole feel of it and the music fitted like a glove. I'd certainly recommend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thank you Alan! What's the show about?

n.p. alberto iglesias - the kite runner

even if you don't like iglesias, you cannot NOT like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhN1R3-IiVM
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Well Hans sure did make the drama and suspense sound absolutely badass !! You could say that the general tone of the score is a powerful combination of lots of sustained tension and occasional bombastic outbursts. It's those outbursts that make it an action score through and through for me. Loved it from day 1, when I saw the film on the big screen.
  12. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

crimson tide is a fun, primitive LE version of his batman for nolan material smile

It's not primitive at all. In a way, it's one of his most sophisticated scores, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well in sound, a bit. Great score though, love it.
  13. I'd argue that, too. I mean, I'd be the first to agree that there is quite a bit of primitive quality to The Rock and Broken Arrow (the latter somewhat by design). But when it comes to that period of Hans Zimmer action music, Crimson Tide is actually quite neat. Just the way they handle the trumpet solos in that score. I would agree, however, that this features one of two most primitive bits of the score (the Alabama bit I mentioned) with the other one thankfully left out (the fire scene).
  14. Demetris wrote
    thank you Alan! What's the show about?

n.p. alberto iglesias - the kite runner

even if you don't like iglesias, you cannot NOT like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhN1R3-IiVM

Here's a short review that covers things.

https://youtu.be/wM08a-3z4YE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dances With Wolves John Barry

A classic. Probably my favourite film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh no, there's not a drone to be found. Well, maybe at one point in the background with thematic celeste and harp at the fore, but this is piano solo, lament for strings, female vocals, drums and even an interlude for fiddle and a short piece for violin and choir. I know it's not straight up horror, but it's certainly among the more interesting dark scores of the year.

And the album presentation is great, the tracks flow over into each other creating a unifying whole that really allows for a mood to build. Finally a composer again who cares for listening experience!

For me, this remedies my experience with the actual series - I saw a teaser that looked very stylish and beautiful so all excited started with the first episode, only to be bored and disappointed, visually a huge step back from what I expected after the stylish teaser. I didn't even make it till the end of episode one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was extremely bored by the show. Can't remember if I watched one episode or two. Didn't notice the music in it but I like Richter so I'll get the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Out of Africa John Barry

Not as good as Dances, but seriously good.
  15. I prefer Out of Africa. It's less repetitive.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dances for me, it's brilliant but it isn't my favourite JB score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    IT: Highlights- Benjamin Wallfisch

My own playlist of about 47 minutes, which is much better. By deleting most of the terror-repetitions, there's a much better balance in its horror/dramatic arch ratio, creating both a stronger thematic presence and making the outbursts of horror a lot more effective. All of a sudden a pretty creative horror score emerged.