• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Could you share your playlist then? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017
    The Monk - Alberto Iglesias

Dark and dour, with - predictably - an occasional liturgical feel. It's admirably restrained for the most part though. I reckon it might grow on me, this one, even if it's nowhere near his masterpiece The Dancer Upstairs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    BobdH wrote
    IT: Highlights- Benjamin Wallfisch

My own playlist of about 47 minutes, which is much better. By deleting most of the terror-repetitions, there's a much better balance in its horror/dramatic arch ratio, creating both a stronger thematic presence and making the outbursts of horror a lot more effective. All of a sudden a pretty creative horror score emerged.

Could you share your playlist then? smile

Ah, yeah sure:

1. Every 27 Years (2:36)
    2. Paper Boat (1:55)
    3. Georgie, Meet Pennywise (3:38)
    4. Derry (2:24)
    5. Egg Boy (2:44)
    6. Beverly (1:20)
    7. Shape Shifter (1:42)
    8. Haircut (4:14)
    9. Georgie's Theme (1:42)
    10. 29 Neibolt Street (4:17)
    11. Pennywise's Tower (1:48)
    12. Saving Beverly (3:36)
    13. Georgie Found (1:53)
    14. Feed On Your Fear (2:34)
    15. Welcome To the Losers Club (3:05)
    16. Yellow Raincoat (1:43)
    17. Blood Oath (3:11)
    18. Every 27 Years (Reprise) (2:07)
  2. POLTERGEIST - Jerry G.

My god ! I've heard this countless times already but it never fails to shock the level of creativity and genius going on in this score. What happens in the first 3 minutes of 'Twisted Abduction' is something I cannot explain in clear terms, other than it gives me shivers, goosebumps. Just one amazing cue in a whole set of amazing cues. But that one is my favorite of the entire score, which is the ultimate horror masterpiece (IMO).

I've never heard (or seen) the remake and I expect I never will.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017
    One of the greatest scores ever written. Rebirth is my favourite cue - one of the most epic and powerful pieces of music written for film - but then all of them are great. It's a masterclass of film scoring, and a perfect companion to ET from the same year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017 edited
    When I bought the lp I played that Rebirth cue over and over and it's still just as awesome listening today as it was 35 years ago ( 35 fooking years ago!?? shocked )

As a whole it isn't a favourite JG score of mine but there's no doubt it's great.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Along with Star Trek: TMP it's in my top 5 and I put Poltergeist at top spot because there's not a single dull moment in the music. And it has heart, frights, wonder, frights, beauty and ... yes, frights. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. THE ROCKETEER - James H.

This is one of the thematically strongest scores Horner has ever done. It has a couple of themes and they're all great and memorable. Action music packs a punch. I'm very happy with the Hollywood Records release, perfect in every way, the 2 Cole Porter songs are never skipped by me as they are superb complements. By the way I hear there's a audio quality problem with this album presentation on the expanded release, so I won't bother with that. In any case The Rocketeer is a huge amount of fun. I really miss those days (when scores were fun).
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2017
    The Two Faces of January - Alberto Iglesias

A very classy little thriller score. Minimal Herrmann-esque touches with deceptively complex orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Poltergeist... it has heart, frights, wonder, frights, beauty and ... yes, frights. smile

A very accurate description.
  5. NP: STAR WARS (1977) - John Williams

I was 6 years old then and at least another two years went by until I first took notice of science fiction in general and Star Wars in particular. Incidentally a number of albums that are especially dear to me, were released in 1977:

Gone to Earth / Barclay James Harvest
    I Robot / The Alan Parsons Project
    From Here to Eternity / Giorgio Moroder
    Animals / Pink Floyd
    Mirage / Klaus Schulze
    Oxygene / Jean Michel Jarre
    ABBA / The Album

Close Encounters / John Williams
    Saturday Night Fever / Bee Gees; David Shire

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017
    That was a pretty damn good year.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. NP: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

yes
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Indeed so. It was the year of my birth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And mine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017 edited
    David OC wrote
    The Monk - Alberto Iglesias

Dark and dour, with - predictably - an occasional liturgical feel. It's admirably restrained for the most part though. I reckon it might grow on me, this one, even if it's nowhere near his masterpiece The Dancer Upstairs.

Absolutely love it. The choral parts are ethereal and beautiful. Completely different scores and films, this and dancer upstairs. apples and oranges smile

n.p. alberto iglesias - Tambien Le Lluvia
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Indeed so. It was the year of my birth.

Thor wrote
    And mine.

Young whippersnappers. The lot of you.
    Now get off my goddamn lawn.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Now playing, guess, what? That's right:

Return of the (last) Jedi (1983) - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p.

after having seen the awesome, (loved it!) film last night, i replayed the score to wonder woman - rupert gregson williams and reminded of how much i liked it during the first listens. Although generic in general, the sound is wholly organic and orchestral and the themes addictive. Love it. Same as his brilliant Hacksaw ridge last yeat.

previously played: max richter - taboo

oh you were right guys, this is hypnotizing but sooo good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    oh you were right guys

We know.
  8. Demetris wrote
    n.p.

after having seen the awesome, (loved it!) film last night, i replayed the score to wonder woman - rupert gregson williams and reminded of how much i liked it during the first listens. Although generic in general, the sound is wholly organic and orchestral and the themes addictive. Love it. Same as his brilliant Hacksaw ridge last yeat.

It is generic, but it's a nice kind of generic IMO. I don't love it, but I do like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p.

It is generic, but it's a nice kind of generic IMO. I don't love it, but I do like it.

the main theme (the dramatic one) and all its renditions play out very nicely in the film and are addictive smile but hacksaw ridge is better indeed, on a wholly higher level. Did you like the film? wonder woman?
  9. NP: Orca - Ennio Morricone

I remember seeing this movie on TV and being captivated by Morricone's main theme back then, and I had one of 'those moments' when I came across the Legend CD. I snapped it up immediately!

One of my favourite Morricone themes whose beauty is even more highlighted by being contained within this score (with it's bleak passages).

I've re-ordered the tracks to fit in with the Music Box 'release'.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2017 edited
    Aglaja - Zbigniew Priesner

This is absolutely gorgeous - even by Preisner's standards. Hadn't heard of it until now.
  10. NP: Life Force (1985) - Henry Mancini

A symphonic gem of the Silver Age, which essentially was Golden Renaissance of symphonic film scoring.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Life Force (1985) - Henry Mancini

A symphonic gem of the Silver Age, which essentially was Golden Renaissance of symphonic film scoring.

Volker

Not a Silver Age score. Silver Age ended in 1977 with Star Wars.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2017 edited
    n.p. Alex Heffes - emperor

What a gem. Granted you programme all the underscore out...talking about long and boring releases the other day at the topic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2017
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Life Force (1985) - Henry Mancini

Volker

Not a Silver Age score. Silver Age ended in 1977 with Star Wars.

-Erik-

Yup, that's true. The re-popularization of the classical symphonic score with STAR WARS is not usually referred to as "Silver Age", but rather the end of it. Then again, I'm hesitant to use populist terms like "Golden" and "Silver" ages in the first place, preferring instead the more specific, analytical terms.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Avatar (2009) - James Horner

Enchantingly beautiful.

Volker