• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2017
    NP: Luke Cage - Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad

MY! shocked This IS a bunch of funky goodness we've not seen the like of since Shaft!
    The track order -if you're into the series- is weird, with the main title appearing somewhere half way, and some crucial cues from the second half of the series right at the front.
    Yes, there are some more niggly things: too many really short cues (20 seconds to 1 minute).
    And at over an hour, it could do with some 15-20 minute trimming to maintain interest.

But at the end of the day this is a damn fine soundtrack, hitting all the right blaxploitation notes, and basically being entertaining, swinging and funky as a big bad brother!

Ona side note: to my surprise the show is very good as well. Not on par with Daredevil but (very) close, and for sure a lot better than Jessica Jones (who -all good intentions, fair scripting and not-bad acting notwithstanding- really is a rather dour, one-note character) which I mostly watched for its antagonist, played by a deliciously slimy and overacting David Tennant.

I never got into that particular franchise of Power Man really well (although I recognise its cultural importance: first black super hero ever), but actor Mike Colter is an absolute dead ringer for the current comics incarnation.
    The thoughtful pacing and gritty but not dark tone of the series is really balanced as well.
    I'm quite impressed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Easily the best of those Marvel TV scores, which have been sadly generic otherwise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I dislike superhero things for the most part, but I enjoyed LUKE CAGE. Also like DAREDEVIL.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What I said in Oct 2016...

Timmer wrote
    NP : LUKE CAGE - Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad

Whoah! Sweet sugar, this is GOOD!

I've still yet to see the series and, with all due respect to the rest of you, Martijn is my benchmark for whether anything superhero is good or not simply because we're on the same wave-length and have similar background in that culture. I loved Daredevil.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Golden Child John Barry

Very strange at times and quite dull at others, but it has its moments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

not sure what's "strange"? but I pretty much agree. There's a really fine 20 minutes or so in this score, either way I was glad to have a JB score I thought would never see light.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Love the Colombier, think the Barry is mostly bollocks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

not sure what's "strange"? but I pretty much agree. There's a really fine 20 minutes or so in this score, either way I was glad to have a JB score I thought would never see light.

There's some rather odd organ stuff early on. (And in general it's a rather strange score to have been written for that film!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Luke Cage - Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad

Ona side note: to my surprise the show is very good as well. Not on par with Daredevil but (very) close, and for sure a lot better than Jessica Jones (who -all good intentions, fair scripting and not-bad acting notwithstanding- really is a rather dour, one-note character) which I mostly watched for its antagonist, played by a deliciously slimy and overacting David Tennant.

I agree that Jones is a one-note character, which becomes especially annoying in The Defenders. We get it, you're pissed off and emo. But the story and relationship between Killgrave and Jones is what makes this one rise above the rest. The first season of Daredevil was great, since, again, it had an interesting baddie. The Kingpin does seem like Daredevil's Joker. And it was about Daredevil becoming Daredevil. That he didn't have the finished costume throughout most of the season was a huge plus for me. However the second season felt like a bit of a let down, ramping up the comicbook factor a little too much, particularly when they introduced Electra. (The actress who plays her is incredibly dull, especially compared to Charlie Cox who is, frankly, a revelation.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2017
    10 Cloverfield Lane Bear McCreary

I wasn't too keen on this when I first heard it. But returning to it now, I hear a well crafted, interesting and effective score. McCreary knows what he's doing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

There's some rather odd organ stuff early on. (And in general it's a rather strange score to have been written for that film!)

Ah, got you. I doubt I'm describing it accurately as I haven't seen the film ( don't want to see ) in a very long time but it was some kind of weird dream sequence and that part of Barry's score remains in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

I wasn't too keen on this when I first heard it. But returning to it now, I hear a well crafted, interesting and effective score. McCreary knows what he's doing.

you are correct
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Unrest - Bear McCreary

This isn't an easy type of film to score and I give McCreary lots of credit for taking it on. That said, I don't see myself giving this many future listens.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Ah, got you. I doubt I'm describing it accurately as I haven't seen the film ( don't want to see ) in a very long time but it was some kind of weird dream sequence and that part of Barry's score remains in the film.

It's a silly 80s film full of fantasy elements that don't work. I liked it when I was a kid but haven't seen it since and I take it should be even cheesier today.

I like the Barry score, more than 20 minutes of it, but yes completely inappropriate for that film. Barry gave it a serious tone when that film is anything but serious.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FREEWAY (Danny Elfman)

This 1996 score remains unreleased, so this is a bootleg. Pretty wild stuff. Heavy rock and fuss guitar meets odd percussion effects and whatnot. Somewhat similar to TO DIE FOR in places.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MARS ATTACKS! (Danny Elfman)

When the bombastic, wildly dissonant and contrapuntal tracks come on, I feel like the Martians do when they hear that country song. But some of the calmer bits are great, as well as the 50s sounds (theremins etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (Danny Elfman)

I hated this when I got it in '96 (I think I got it, sold it, reacquired it, sold it and then required it one last time), and still have problems getting into it (as I do most mid to late 90s Elfman). So much noise and counterpoint, I go nuts!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

I'm loving this. Wonderfully tense music, with an incredibly satisfying pay-off at the end (that's a blaster beam, right?). This is very reminiscent of his work on The Walking Dead. I love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

I'm loving this. Wonderfully tense music, with an incredibly satisfying pay-off at the end (that's a blaster beam, right?). This is very reminiscent of his work on The Walking Dead. I love this.

you are correct
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is McCreary still working on TWD? I remember the first season having some pretty good music, but I can't recall when I last heard something memorable. Also, did anyone work out where our beloved kazoos feature?
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Anthony wrote
    Is McCreary still working on TWD? I remember the first season having some pretty good music, but I can't recall when I last heard something memorable. Also, did anyone work out where our beloved kazoos feature?

In theory. He has several assistants who help him in composing music for all of his shows. I think that he primarily is focusing on film projects and probably also handles the critical cues in the shows.

(I think he's also writing most of Outlander still but don't quote me on that. I know that the quality of music in Agents of SHIELD has tanked since the first season.)
  3. THE MUSIC OF AMERICA: JOHN WILLIAMS

Disc 1. Two excellently performed suites, one for American Journey and one for Memoirs of a Geisha. American Journey is uplifting and hopeful, some clear as day nods to Far and Away, but I don't mind that with music as great as this. The take on Memoirs of a Geisha, I didn't like it at first, because it's sufficiently different from the original recording but as a separate arrangement it really is wonderful. I'm a little divided on the album for Geisha, a score which is blessed with gorgeous themes but not always the most interesting underscore (the second half). Also on this disc, two tracks showing vintage glorious Williams (Air and Simple Gifts and Song for World Peace). I so love this first disc, more good stuff on disc 2 which I'll listen to later.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2017
    That's a great set. I never picked it up, since I own all of the music on other discs, but for anyone starting out with Williams, it's a great introductory overview.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2017 edited
    Colossal Bear McCreary

This is another perfectly pitched score from McCreary. I hope he does a Giacchino and transitions fully from TV to film. (Although I rather hope he continues to write for games, a shame that Giacchino doesn't.)
  4. Thor wrote
    That's a great set. I never picked it up, since I own all of the music on other discs, but for anyone starting out with Williams, it's a great introductory overview.

Yeah im not starting with Williams but in general I just adore compilations that give us some alternate performances or just put a whole lot of great stuff together no matter how many times I've heard them before. It beats listening to current scores (personal view).
  5. This board is all about exchanging personal views. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah im not starting with Williams but in general I just adore compilations that give us some alternate performances or just put a whole lot of great stuff together no matter how many times I've heard them before. It beats listening to current scores (personal view).

I have been thinking more and more recently why should I invest so much time listening to today's film scores when I could be revisiting classics. The vast majority of today's music offers only a short-lived satisfaction or is not worth investing any time in them at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. THE MUSIC OF AMERICA: JOHN WILLIAMS

Disc 2. This is a mixed bag, and I don't know if I'm in the minority on this one but I really don't like The Five Sacred Trees, because its sound is definitely more classical, more abstract classical, something which I'll never be able to get, unlike my dad who's very much into that kind of stuff. It really goes way over my head, as there is no theme or hook to latch on to. I'm sure its complex in its composition and must have appeal to some people, but not me. The rest of disc 2 is more my kind of the maestro's writing, more in tune with his film work, so no complaints there: Summon the Heroes, Hymn to New England, Sound the Bells!, Elegy for Cello and Orchestra, The Mission Theme, March from 1941 and The Olympic Spirit. So half is bloody fantastic, the other half is not my thing.
  8. NP: JAWS - John Williams

The stunning McNeely/Royal Scottish Symphony Orchestra re-recording.

The reason I revisited this album was the custom cover art that Chris Rimmer kindly provided over at FSM and which I applied to my digital copy.
    The DUNE/Toto cover by Lewis&Clark I also find quite appealing.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE MUSIC OF AMERICA: JOHN WILLIAMS

Disc 2. This is a mixed bag, and I don't know if I'm in the minority on this one but I really don't like The Five Sacred Trees, because its sound is definitely more classical, more abstract classical, something which I'll never be able to get, unlike my dad who's very much into that kind of stuff.

That's actually my favourite of Williams' concert works. It's pretty straightforward and accesible compared to a lot of his other concert works. So if you didn't like that, I'd advice you to steer as far away as possible from, say, his flute concerto or scherzo for piano and orchestra.
    I am extremely serious.