• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wouldn't call The Five Sacred Trees accessible myself, it's all rather dull for my tastes and yes those other concerto's which I've never heard don't interest me, as I expect them to be in the same style.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017 edited
    Well, it's accesible compared to a lot of the other concert works by JW, that's what I meant. It's very programmatic. The most accesible (and similar to his film music), however, probably remains the tuba concerto, which has shades of the Jabba music from STAR WARS. I obviously don't count the shorter fanfares and stuff, which are of course even more accesible and similar to his film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017
    NP: MEN IN BLACK (Danny Elfman)

Love the theme, but some of the action material is simply too overbearing. Endless sturm und drang!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW 2 - Oscar Araujo

My own 2 hour playlist. Epic, big and awesome are the words to describe it. Leave it to a composer for a videogame (and not a very succesful or good one at that) to come up with some great rousing action cues, with some truly impressive choral passages. Sometimes I have a hard time picking either this one or its predecessor as the better one. Maybe the first LOS score is slightly better because of its greater emphasis on melody. But today it's LOS2, for all its unrelenting epic and action-packed splendor. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW 2 - Oscar Araujo

My own 2 hour playlist. Epic, big and awesome are the words to describe it. Leave it to a composer for a videogame (and not a very succesful or good one at that) to come up with some great rousing action cues, with some truly impressive choral passages. Sometimes I have a hard time picking either this one or its predecessor as the better one. Maybe the first LOS score is slightly better because of its greater emphasis on melody. But today it's LOS2, for all its unrelenting epic and action-packed splendor. cheesy

absolutely adore this...where is he btw?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: MARS ATTACKS! (Danny Elfman)

When the bombastic, wildly dissonant and contrapuntal tracks come on, I feel like the Martians do when they hear that country song. But some of the calmer bits are great, as well as the 50s sounds (theremins etc.).

some of worst scores i've ever heard imo. pure noise
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MARS ATTACKS! (Danny Elfman)

When the bombastic, wildly dissonant and contrapuntal tracks come on, I feel like the Martians do when they hear that country song. But some of the calmer bits are great, as well as the 50s sounds (theremins etc.).

some of worst scores i've ever heard imo. pure noise

I think the main theme is fantastic, a classic Elfman.

VICTORIA & ABDUL | thomas newman

A mixed bag of styles and colours. I honestly have no idea what to think about it. Many very short tracks as well. Some typical Newman piano and strings main theme is popping up here and there. No standouts.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, agree with Bregt. Great main title, but like MEN IN BLACK, the rest of the score is very hard to get through.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yeah, calling the main title "pure noise" is simply wrong.
  4. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

With Alfred Newman's Fox Fanfare sneaked in up front. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

Prep work, actually. I'm going to write an article on it for a Polish quarterly I've been writing for for 2 years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - Williams

From a bygone age of infinitely more fulfilling and constantly memorable film scores.

What else can be said than that THIS IS THE SHIT !!!!!!! punk punk punk

Apparently there is a 3 hour cut of the movie coming out soon. 3 hours in the mighty presence of Donner's direction, Reeve's Superman and the maestro ? Yes please !!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Sherlock - David Arnold and Michael Price

Can't think of a better television score except maybe Murray Gold's stuff.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  7. I can think of plenty, was never all that convinced by Arnold's Sherlock material. A shame that's all he's done this decade. Bear McCreary alone has written several TV scores that are far superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I can think of plenty, was never all that convinced by Arnold's Sherlock material. A shame that's all he's done this decade.

Indeed. Shame is an understatement; it's somewhat of a scandal that he's not been hired to do a feature film since PAUL in 2011. Or perhaps it's intended.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    maybe he enjoys writing Sherlock's music. I can't think of a better canvas for scoring; that show has everything, montages, action scenes, heart-rending farewells, raucous climaxes, tense chases...he kills it every-time. I love the infusion of strange and foreign instruments into a contemporary soundscape, a perfect representation of how isolated and alien Sherlock must feel.
  8. Which is why it's disappointing the music does so little for me. I mean it's OK, and I appreciate the soundscape which is indeed well-conceived, but I couldn't point to any outstanding action music or anything that really makes me feel. And it barely sounds like David Arnold at all to me, which makes me wonder just what the division of labor is between him and Price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I have to think the enjoyment of the score will be partially based off the enjoyment of the show, since it so perfectly captures the atmosphere of the show... Personally, its probably my favorite TV show, so I love being transported directly into its world. very subjective and divisive show, so it makes sense that the score would probably be the same.
  9. I quite like the show, so it's not that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    awkward silence
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I feel the same as you, Edmund. Love the show, but the music (beyond the main theme) has never really done anything for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. And that's quite similar to the Zimmer theme written (separately) at about the same time as the first season score.

Also, I see a notable omission of Michael Price (a quite nice guy, too) from the Sherlock discussion.

Unless the Bond producers ask him back, Arnold's not that into film scoring anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    haven't heard a lot of Price's solo work yet, so I don't know which is his and which is Arnold's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote

Masada, Jerry Goldsmith. I win. Good night everyone!
  11. NP: Wüstenblume / Desert Flower (2009) - Martin Todsharow

A lovely, melodic and emotional score that suits this gripping film.

Volker
  12. Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

We should make a poll about adding likes to this message board.
  13. Like!
  14. NP: A World Apart (1987) - Hans Zimmer

The Suite. I love this early Zimmer!
  15. I just reviewed that score a while ago and, really, what I find fascinating is how his later Hollywood stemmed from, like, first 2-3 minutes of the end title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote

Jerry "Fool's Gold" Goldsmith, eh? Mr. Overrated himself?

(sarcasm).