• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Lost In Space Bruce Broughton & Don Davis

This deserves classic status, a genuine 5 star score. The newly expanded version just confirms that even more. It's just a shame it was written for such a bad film (a bad film I enjoy -sort of- but bad nonetheless). It's so good. One of my top 10.

Totally agree except for the film which I will never watch again.

The sad thing is that the film starts out rather promising. The final act though leaves the film in shambles.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017 edited
    It does have some genuinely good sci-fi moments, like the launch and subsequent disaster, the Proteus, the time bubbles and some nice effects (among some terrible CGI). But ultimately it's just... bad. If there's one film I'd like to see Hollywood remake, it's this. Artistically, it makes sense to remake a bad film / good concept, but of course financially it doesn't. Plus there's no way in hell it would receive a score as good as Broughton's.

War... Planet... Apes Michael Giacchino

Brutal.
  2. Lost in Space is a true guilty pleasure of mine. In the same way as Cutthroat Island and Independence Day. Being viewed as bad films in general I really wonder why that is because they are just so damned entertaining and they all have tremendous scores.

Design wise Lost in Space is amazing. The sets and production design are stunning. I even love the quirky acting. Gary Oldman had fun being the villain and the kids play well off of each other.

I can watch all three films and be thoroughly entertained every time. I don't get the overall hate.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    I don't hate Lost in Space, but I do hate Independence Day. Lost in Space fails on too many things, most notably its script. It's full of corn and clichés. And bad-CGI spider Smith is just, well... bad. A nice concept, but the execution is terrible

Independence Day is offensively bad. It's just dumb. I can understand why people enjoy it, I suppose, but the mind-numbingly stupid script plus American patriotism is too much for me.

However, both of these bad sci-fi films received two of the greatest sci-fi scores of all time. So I have to give them some credit.
  3. ID4 falls into the "Mystery Science Theatre" category for me. Best watch it with like minded buddies and a sufficient amount of beer.

beer Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    I have no intention of watching those three movies again. Bruce Broughton's score is fantastic and easily my favourite of the three. I've never been a fan of ID4's score though there are a few bits I like and Cutthroat Island is okay but I've never been blown away by it like some here. Different strokes and all that wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017
    Steven wrote
    I don't hate Lost in Space, but I do hate Independence Day. Lost in Space fails on too many things, most notably its script. It's full of corn and clichés. And bad-CGI spider Smith is just, well... bad. A nice concept, but the execution is terrible

Independence Day is offensively bad. It's just dumb. I can understand why people enjoy it, I suppose, but the mind-numbingly stupid script plus American patriotism is too much for me.

However, both of these bad sci-fi films received two of the greatest sci-fi scores of all time. So I have to give them some credit.

great video about why Independence Day's script is so brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gu8GQOJhdA
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sleep

Yes, the first 20 minutes or so of ID4 had me hooked, after that... vomit

If you enjoy it good on you. That video didn't re-evaluate my opinion or make me want to suffer another viewing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Timmer wrote
    sleep

Yes, the first 20 minutes or so of ID4 had me hooked, after that... vomit

If you enjoy it good on you. That video didn't re-evaluate my opinion or make me want to suffer another viewing.

well that's just like your opinion man
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is. And everyone is welcome to theirs.
  4. Apropos great space opera score, weak film:

Jupiter Rising

Well, wrong thread. Saw it the other night. Seemingly regular Earth fellow gets tangled up in galactic conflict. Looks fine, but the convoluted script is badly executed. Boring. Ignore the story and relish in the superb score by Giacchino accompanied by pretty pictures.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  5. Indeed. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lincoln John Williams

I can only imagine the eventual film about Trump will receive a score like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

I can only imagine the eventual film about Trump will receive a score like this.

Lena Dunham says she wants to adapt "What Happened" to screen (oh the horror), and I'm imagining the Trump scenes will probably be scored with "Dream is Collapsing" whereas the Hillary scenes will have lilting strings ala Bravheart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I have no intention of watching those three movies again. Bruce Broughton's score is fantastic and easily my favourite of the three. I've never been a fan of ID4's score though there are a few bits I like and Cutthroat Island is okay but I've never been blown away by it like some here. Different strokes and all that wink

The older I get, the more I can understand where you're coming from. Though I still, and probably always will, enjoy them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017 edited
    LOST IN SPACE is hokey as hell, but has a few redeeming qualities -- like Gary Oldman hamming it up! I love it when he does that (he's among my top 5 favourite actors). CUTTHROAT ISLAND is overblown pap, but has this very 90s "joy of life" that I can appreciate. And a stupendous score, of course. ID4 is a spectacular film in every way.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - Christopher Young

Starting a month-long listen to 'horror' scores, and Young's early score's the first one up.

Interesting to hear Young early on in his career, with only slight indications of his style to come. Not particularly thematic, this one's more to do with unsettling the listener with a variety of techniques, including unusual sounds - whale song anyone? Always interesting, it's a good start to October.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Ringu 2 - Kenji Kawai

Freddy doesn't sound so creepy and unsettling now that I am listening to this. Kawai does an excellent job of creating a disconcerting soundscape that I probably wouldn't want to listen to with the lights off. The score is interspersed with some 'lighter' piano passages but it doesn't take long for that to be consumed by the darkness.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: The Devil Rides Out - James Bernard

Only the few tracks on a compilation album but even this shows how good Bernard's music is for this film. I need to track down the full score...
  9. NP: Worry Dolls - Holly Amber Church

A 'slow burner' that uses a lot of orchestral suspense ideas to achieve its effect. A lot of it doesn't really excite but the reliance on low strings makes it - for me at least - worth hearing. So far, nothing too memorable though.
  10. NP: The Slumber Party Massacre - Ralph Jones

An enjoyable synth score for this 80s slasher movie. Catchy church organ-styled synth dominates and adds a gothic feel to the more 'traditional' atmospheric synths - with the latter adding a substantial amount of tension.

Very enjoyable in a cheesy, 80s synth sort of a way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017
    LSH wrote
    NP: REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

This score is angry as fuck. Always good when you feel angry as fuck.

Ah, love it. Shearmur not getting hired for big projects anymore is one of the serious issues if you ask me. Same as Goldenthal.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. Alexandre Desplat - light between oceans

So good. Ol' style romantic, lyrical good Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017 edited
    HENRY MAY LONG - Max Richter

Recently released score for a film Max did in 2008. No idea why it took him so long to release (though probably because it's with 34 minutes too short for CD), this is lovely. Small ensemble drama with violin, piano and glass harmonica.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes, love this too.

n.p. alexandre desplat - lust, caution

one of his best scores to date. beautiful
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. alexandre desplat - the painted veil

with this and lust, caution, revisiting the desplat 'golden era' wink this is fantastic .
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

This score is angry as fuck. Always good when you feel angry as fuck.

Ah, love it. Shearmur not getting hired for big projects anymore is one of the serious issues if you ask me. Same as Goldenthal.

Well, in the case of Goldenthal, it's his own decision. I don't know if that's the case for Shearmur.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Also, imagine Goldenthal, if he were still scoring for film, having to compromise to have his sound more in the vein of today's background wallpaper compositions... The guy writes the total opposite of what current producers want.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Also, imagine Goldenthal, if he were still scoring for film, having to compromise to have his sound more in the vein of today's background wallpaper compositions... The guy writes the total opposite of what current producers want.

True, but he can approximate it pretty well while still keeping his voice. Like S.W.A.T., which was his last score for a big blockbuster action movie.
    I am extremely serious.