• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. TOMBSTONE - Bruce Broughton

It has been a long time since I listened to this and I prefer Tombstone over Silverado any day of the week. Much more memorable and with a highly infectious theme.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. ^ Love the film and the score.

NP: Game of Thrones Season 7 (2017) - Ramin Djawadi

I still know nothing from the series but buying theses fine scores has become a habit. I delved into the first Volume of books now for the 4th time an I hope to get through it this time. There still isn't much enthusiasm though.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    TOMBSTONE - Bruce Broughton

It has been a long time since I listened to this and I prefer Tombstone over Silverado any day of the week. Much more memorable and with a highly infectious theme.

I'm with you, for some reason I've never really connected with 'Silverado' outside of the amazing main theme. 'Tombstone' I love from beginning to end, probably my favourite Broughton score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017
    I'm the opposite. I've never really connected to TOMBSTONE, but I think SILVERADO is an operatic masterpiece. Perhaps not as thematic (although the main theme is damn "thematic"), but the way Broughton and Kasdan charge dramatic moments as if it were a largescale mythological drama, not "merely" a western. A masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017
    Memoirs of a Geisha suite for cello and orchestra John Williams

Exceptional.
  4. NP: The Nightcomers - Jerry Fielding

Fielding's lovely writing highlights more effectively when the score turns darker, descending into a psychological horror score that focuses on unsettling the listener rather than going for wall-to-wall scares.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Tutti i Colori del Buio - Bruno Nicolai

A heady mix of jazz, strong bass lines, sitar and the voice of Edda Dell’Orso combine to disorientate in this score for a film of a woman being pursued by a coven of devil worshipers. Certainly not focusing on in-your-face scaring, the score is an interesting listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Halloween II - John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

I've always found it interesting to hear how the introduction of synths to the iconic score works and - in the main - it works quite well. This is the album version and not the more recent set of 'suites' version.
  7. NP: Imago Mortis - Zacarías M. de la Riva

This is an excellent score, balancing lovely orchestral writing with the required descent into horror scoring. But the composer always keeps it very listenable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017 edited
    Lost - Giacchino

I wonder how the TV show I have in mind when I listen to this score compares to the real one. I'm imagining this quiet urban drama about a paranoid young woman who feels 'lost' even in the big city.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ Love the film and the score.

I still know nothing from the series but buying theses fine scores has become a habit. I delved into the first Volume of books now for the 4th time an I hope to get through it this time. There still isn't much enthusiasm though.

Volker

Ramin's score works much better in the series. My favorite scoring moments are about Danaerys and her dragons.
  8. lp wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ Love the film and the score.

Volker

Ramin's score works much better in the series. My favorite scoring moments are about Danaerys and her dragons.

As opposed to the books or as a listening experience on CD? What I find interesting is so observe, how Djawadi developed as a composer in the course in the series. I read the music also gained significance in the overall concept of the show. Again, I only saw a few minutes here and there so far. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. My understanding is (as I only saw 3 episodes of the first season) that when it comes to the score, at least half of the first season album is the unused music for the pilot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. HOOK - John T. Williams

Magical perfection ! love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    HOOK - John T. Williams

Magical perfection ! love

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017
    Jackman's winter soldier theme is the best villain theme of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You're absolutely right. As soon as I heard it I deleted The Imperial March off my iPod. Who needs that shit?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol

Aida, if you'd have said 'favourite' rather than 'best'....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Aidabaida wrote

This bothers me more than anything you said over in the gun thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited
    in all seriousness, it may not be the greatest villain theme of all time, but its up there, capturing the character of the winter soldier just as well as williams captured darth vader (like I mentioned about civil war, Jackman has the musical intelligence of Williams without his raw talent).

pure menace distilled into a kazoo and machinery. experimentation. this is the stuff getting people into film music nowadays. energy turned into music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote

Zimmer and Newton Howard want their Joker motif back!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

-Erik-

the joker motif is unlistenable garbage
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

-Erik-

Winter Solider Theme is unlistenable garbage

Fixed!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    the winter soldier theme and joker motif are about as similar as star trek and star wars, i.e. similar genre, but one of them is objectively bad and one is objectively good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    the winter soldier theme and joker motif are about as similar as star trek and star wars, i.e. similar genre, but one of them is objectively bad and one is objectively good.

Yes... agreed. The theme that was written first is genius. The theme that was copied and pasted into overrated Marvel film is awful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    the joker theme - one note played with a razor blade

winter soldier theme - complex amalgmation of mechanical sounds built and distinctive kazoo scream

YEP SEEMS LIKE COPY AND PASTE TO ME CAP'N
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You might want to go back to the Joker theme and listen to it again.

As for Winter Soldier, glad you like it, but it's obviously heavily influenced by the Joker theme, yet Jackman made his utterly unlistenable.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    You might want to go back to the Joker theme and listen to it again.

As for Winter Soldier, glad you like it, but it's obviously heavily influenced by the Joker theme, yet Jackman made his utterly unlistenable.

-Erik-

both sides, folks! many sides!
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    There was music in Winter Soldier?
  12. In the real world this sort of discussion is how conflicts start and when guns are available end up with bloodshed.

But not at MT folks. We are all pretty civilised here.