• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Can I ask you why the horror series? smile

James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

I do like the film... but after purchasing it on a bargain price a few years ago (still wrapped!) it became one of the most personal albums in my collection, The only other album which rose to personal favorites after buying the original CD is Beyond Rangoon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    Can I ask you why the horror series? smile

Really? It's October leading up to Halloween. And any excuse to pick out albums with a horror theme to them...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The Gift - Christopher Young

Probably best known for the lovely main theme, Young's adeptness at horror writing adds another dimension to the score. There are numerous passages that are very unsettling - and gives more of a horror feel to this score than other composers have given to 'proper' horror movies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Really? It's October leading up to Halloween. And any excuse to pick out albums with a horror theme to them...

Ah right, that. It's not a natively Polish tradition and while we do have the trick or treaters here (once ending up with them throwing an egg at the house), it wasn't part of my upbringing, so I tend to forget.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Ah right, that. It's not a natively Polish tradition and while we do have the trick or treaters here (once ending up with them throwing an egg at the house), it wasn't part of my upbringing, so I tend to forget.

We have the dreaded 'trick or treaters' here too - an evening when we won't answer the door to anyone. Which probably explains why we also had eggs thrown at our windows one year.

NP: Cat's Eye - Alan Silvestri

Not sure that I am going to warm to this style of score. This type of synth scoring isn't really what I enjoy - though Slivestri's motif/theme for the troll of the 3rd segment of the movie is very distinctive.
  6. NP: 28 Weeks Later - John Murphy

Murphy's talent here is to give a sense of desolation and futility with his choices in composition and orchestration. And the gift of his '28 Theme' should be praised: it's an excellent piece of music.
  7. The Untouchables (LLL version).

Can I be blasphemous and say I've always preferred this to The Mission?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2017
    NP: AN UNFINISHED LIFE - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

Christ knows why this way rejected. Both Young's and Deborah Lurie's replacement scores are lovely; both tread very similar territory. Young's is just more far more original.

Anyway, very very pleasant stuff.
  8. Cindylover1969 wrote
    The Untouchables (LLL version).

Can I be blasphemous and say I've always preferred this to The Mission?

I haven't seen The Mission but damn if The Untouchables isn't scored to perfection by Ennio. I watched the film on Blu-ray a couple of months ago (it was a long time that I hadn't seen it). How can anyone watch that film and not be amazed by what goes on musically? It isn't easy to get through away from the film (never been a big fan of Morricone to be honest, apart from a theme here, a melody there and a couple of scores), but married to the film it's an astonishing composition...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Reminds me to rewatch The Mission very soon. In fact, before December.
  10. I urge every one to see The Mission. It's a brilliantly shot and acted film. I'm not a religious fellow but there are images that, in combination with Morricones incredible music, will burn themselves in your memory.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

I'm looking forward to what Mark Mothersbaugh comes up with for Thor Ragnarok.

A pre-screening has had rave reviews for the film but very significantly a lot of positive comments on Mothersbaugh's score, one calling it the best score for a Marvel movie.

We'll soon see if it's hyperbole or not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. It wouldn't be difficult to achieve though.

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Sicario

I might be the only person in the world who really likes it (OK, I know for a fact I'm not), but I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OUT OF THE DARK ROOM (Max Richter)

Although I own several of the scores on this 2CD compilation individually, I keep going back to this.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. STAR TREK III - Horner

Not simply a retread of TWOK, this one adds more beauty, more excitement, more brilliance to this musical universe. It's actually my second favorite Trek score after Jerry's TMP.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

Not simply a retread of TWOK, this one adds more beauty, more excitement, more brilliance to this musical universe. It's actually my second favorite Trek score after Jerry's TMP.

Same here. Star Trek II is an extremely close 3rd though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

Still wonderful.
  13. Nick Glennie-Smith - We Were Soldiers

It's a nice score that a Facebook post reminded me of. As popular as the Mansions of the Lord theme became, including of all things a presidential funeral, I think the score in general is quite overlooked and its dark, pensive nature (a sort of popified Thin Red Line at times) is quite nice. While the action music is as juvenile as Glennie-Smith can get (a final assault on a VietCong base? Attila the Hun? The Three Musketeers? Whatever, I'm still doing The Rock), it's a very heartfelt score for a very heartfelt if heavy-handed film. Look Around You is a particularly great piece also in the beautifully shot scene (the way they just show people appearing on that airfield is beautiful, if saccharine as hell).

The film's real saving grace is that it acknowledges both sides. It's a traumatic moment for both sides and it doesn't shy away from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It wouldn't be difficult to achieve though.

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Sicario

I might be the only person in the world who really likes it (OK, I know for a fact I'm not), but I do.

I think a lot of people like this one, or at least appreciate it. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

It will forever escape me why people prefer the third over the second. But the first is of course the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with those who prefer the third over the second. STAR TREK II is OK, but was never really a favourite of mine. It doesn't even feature on my Top 10 Horner list.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. NP: Dagon, La Secta del Mar - Carles Cases

A powerful gothic score with lots of brooding male and female choir.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

It will forever escape me why people prefer the third over the second. But the first is of course the best.

Why? Is ST III that much lower in your estimation than ST II? I'll go out on a limb and say it's because it's more action orientated, I vaguely remember that you didn't care for the 'mystical' type scoring which I love, the Katra ritual etc, correct me if I'm wrong.

Fair nuff though because there's plenty of film score fans who also agree with you.
  15. NP: Gorgo - Angelo Francesco Lavagnino

Enjoyable monster movie score with a bit of a seafaring slant to it. Excellent re-recording from the people at Monstrous Movie Music.
  16. NP: Gritos En El Pasillo - Andrés de la Torre & Javier López

An animated movie from 2006:

"A prestigious fairytale illustrator is hired by the psychiatric hospital director. His job there will be to decorate the hospital walls with his drawings to improve the place's atmosphere. It seems like an easy task but things get complicated when the sketcher discovers a dark corridor from where chilling screams come out"

An average orchestral score that has a particularly fantastical sound rather than horror. Reminds me a lot of Danny Elfman's fantasy scoring.
  17. NP: Saw III - Charlie Clouser

For the most part it's ear-shattering with only occasional forays into something less aggressive. The 'Saw theme''s appearance is a highlight but it doesn't happen very ofen.
  18. DreamTheater wrote
    (never been a big fan of Morricone to be honest, apart from a theme here, a melody there and a couple of scores), but married to the film it's an astonishing composition...

I concur with every word in the above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

Why? Is ST III that much lower in your estimation than ST II? I'll go out on a limb and say it's because it's more action orientated, I vaguely remember that you didn't care for the 'mystical' type scoring which I love, the Katra ritual etc, correct me if I'm wrong.

Three words... Stealing the Enterprise !!! Best Horner cue ever ! punk

But in fairness while TWOK laid the foundations in themes and everything and it's a superb score in every way, I think Horner made TSFS a more mature sounding continuation with just the right amount of brassy fanfares and emotional setpieces that made me a Horner fan for life. My number 1 previously unreleased cue is the one when Kirk auto-destructs his ship. It's genius and no one of the big names working in Hollywood today could come up with such a cue for such a pivotal moment in the film (except maybe Williams of course). It makes that scene much more harrowing and emotional. And yes the mystical element speaks to me a lot as well.
  19. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm looking forward to what Mark Mothersbaugh comes up with for Thor Ragnarok.

A pre-screening has had rave reviews for the film but very significantly a lot of positive comments on Mothersbaugh's score, one calling it the best score for a Marvel movie.

We'll soon see if it's hyperbole or not.

I'm glad to hear the gig didn't go to the Jackman's or Giacchino's for a change. Hope Mothersbaugh delivers, but glad at least he got a chance to show his worth.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

My number 1 previously unreleased cue is the one when Kirk auto-destructs his ship. It's genius and no one of the big names working in Hollywood today could come up with such a cue for such a pivotal moment in the film (except maybe Williams of course). It makes that scene much more harrowing and emotional.

Mine too, it's an incredible cue even though it is cribbed nearly note-for-note from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet.