• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - James Horner

Isn't it amazing, that Jerry Goldsmith wrote one of the greatest scores in the history of cinema and how James Horner actually managed to live up to it? I once read a background story according to which Amazing Grance was forced upon Horner by Roddenberry. Apparently Horner hated the bagpipe source bit (squeaking grouses? really? Horner of all people?). Well, I for one, am glad, it's all here in the expansion.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: STAR TREK III: The Search for Spock (1984) - James Horner

Impossible to rank these two sublime scores. I love the ethnic/mystical Vulcan music.
  3. I've just been listening to Austin Wintory's TOOTH AND TAIL. Most of it is not very enjoyable to me. There's a lot of weird male choir chanting and a lot of oompa tuba and it's just not really my thing. And then there's this track called "The Ivories of Beasts." It's completely different from the rest of the score. It's this awesome jazzy piano piece that requires quite a bit from the pianist, who just kills it.

Check it out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited
    NP: NOAH (Clint Mansell)

The album is about 20 minutes too long, but some damn good tracks here. I also belong to the few who actually liked the film. Better than the mess that was mother!.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III - Horner

Not simply a retread of TWOK, this one adds more beauty, more excitement, more brilliance to this musical universe. It's actually my second favorite Trek score after Jerry's TMP.

Same here. Star Trek II is an extremely close 3rd though.

It will forever escape me why people prefer the third over the second. But the first is of course the best.

Why? Is ST III that much lower in your estimation than ST II? I'll go out on a limb and say it's because it's more action orientated, I vaguely remember that you didn't care for the 'mystical' type scoring which I love, the Katra ritual etc, correct me if I'm wrong.

Fair nuff though because there's plenty of film score fans who also agree with you.

It's not that it's so much lower for me, just that I don't understand why people reliably choose it over Khan. It is great, and my appreciation has certainly grown over the years. But if you told me I could never listen to it again, I'd be more than content with Khan. The opposite is not true.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well thank the gods no one can tell us we can't listen to one and not the other. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. BBTS is the first movement of his sci-fi symphony, TWOK is his second movement and TSFS the grand finale.

IMHO.

Sorry for the acronym overload. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. I was listening to EDDIE THE EAGLE earlier. Great fun !

Now I'm spinning DAYS OF THUNDER to stay in the same sound, and it's even more fun !!! That victory theme on electric guitar... it's heavenly. I love this score. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Well thank the gods no one can tell us we can't listen to one and not the other. wink

Well, yes. True. But gun to the head sort of thing; your true feelings and all. That's what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    BBTS is the first movement of his sci-fi symphony, TWOK is his second movement and TSFS the grand finale.

IMHO.

I have no idea what you just said. But I'm sure you're right.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    I was listening to EDDIE THE EAGLE earlier. Great fun!

You actually listened to a score so contemporary. Be careful not to compromise your profile, pal!

wink cheesy
  7. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BBTS is the first movement of his sci-fi symphony, TWOK is his second movement and TSFS the grand finale.

IMHO.

I have no idea what you just said. But I'm sure you're right.

I guess, KRULL then is movement no 4. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't that more of a fantasy? I've never seen it, mind you.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I was listening to EDDIE THE EAGLE earlier. Great fun!

You actually listened to a score so contemporary. Be careful not to compromise your profile, pal!

wink cheesy

Haha ! It's true, this was recommended by my bro who at the time still was giving a shit about new scores. Not so much these days. He's turning into me. cheesy

And truth be told, that's not a good thing. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    Man of Steel

Majestic, Memorable, Thematic, Intelligent, Complex.

How did Hans go from this to BvS and Dunkirk?

Well, Junkie Xl took over and influenced him with one of the most horrible scores ever by Z (amazing Spider-Man 2) and then it was downhill from there except for interstellar which is his best score to date, imo and not surprisingly at all as it was his first and last (so far) solo score for years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't recommend dating Interstellar unless you're into long distance relationships.

Okay, that's enough Internet for me today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LAMB (Daniel Belardinelli)

One of my favourite scores last year.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Hunting Humans (2002) - Evan Evans

A lot of suspense scoring here with the occasional 'stinger' shock. Borrows very much from Bernard Herrmann's musical toolbox: repeating descending string chords, blaring muted brass hits, etc. It's actually surprisingly good considering the minuscule budget this film/music had.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: The Deadly Spawn - Michael Perilstein

Some horror scores don't really have a horror feel once they are taken out of the movie, and The Deadly Spawn is one of those scores. Some great synth tracks that would be great on any non-film score synth album. But it's just not that scary. And there's a track halfway through - "Spawn In The Wind" - that's straight out of a Charlie Brown animation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: Tarantula - Herman Stein & Henry Mancini

Typical 50s scifi/horror with it's blaring brass fanfares whenever 'the creature' appears. Another great re-recording from Monstrous Movie Music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Isn't that more of a fantasy? I've never seen it, mind you.

Nostalgically I love KRULL. You might be best just enjoying the magnificent score wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, yes. True. But gun to the head sort of thing; your true feelings and all. That's what I mean.

I've got a gun against your head. You've got a gun against my head.

FUCK!!! dizzy wink
  12. NP: Sharknado 5 - Chris Ridenhour & Chris Cano

They've made 5 of these?! Really enjoying the score though. Predominantly frenetic action scoring to go with the over-the-top effects of the set-pieces.
  13. NP: Der Golem - Karl-Ernst Sasse

"In 16th-century Prague, a rabbi creates the Golem - a giant creature made of clay. Using sorcery, he brings the creature to life in order to protect the Jews of Prague from persecution."

Sasse's score from the 70s for this German silent film from 1920 is an unsettling affair, rooted in a more classical sounding style. A good re-recording from the Capriccio label.
  14. Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Man of Steel

Majestic, Memorable, Thematic, Intelligent, Complex.

How did Hans go from this to BvS and Dunkirk?

Well, Junkie Xl took over and influenced him with one of the most horrible scores ever by Z (amazing Spider-Man 2) and then it was downhill from there except for interstellar which is his best score to date, imo and not surprisingly at all as it was his first and last (so far) solo score for years.

Three things:

1. Junkie XL contributed heavily to Man of Steel. (Co-)Wrote Zod's theme if I'm not mistaken. All those sodding drums are his influence.
    2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is not a horrible score, and in fact a quite good one with some genuinely creative ideas
    3. Interstellar is a good score too, but far from Zimmer's best

That's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    3. Interstellar is a good score too, but far from Zimmer's best

really? aside from maybe Pirates 3, what even begins to match it for creativity and beauty?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    INTERSTELLAR is a superb score, but I doubt it's even going to crack my Top 10 Zimmer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    INTERSTELLAR is a superb score, but I doubt it's even going to crack my Top 10 Zimmer.

what are your top 10 zimmer then?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  15. 1. Rain Man