• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    I find it very bizarre that nobody that has posted has 'The Prince of Egypt' in their ten. confused

Which is why I'm happy to be the odd one out:

1. The Prince of Egypt
    2. The Lion King
    3. Gladiator
    4. Broken Arrow
    5. Backdraft
    6. Interstellar
    7. Crimson Tide
    8. The Peacemaker
    9. The Thin Red Line
    10. The Rock

Would be on mine, in fact, instead of Gladiator. This score is terribly overlooked today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. NP: Full Circle - Colin Towns

Towns creates an eerie feel for this score with an emphasis on a variety of keyboards. Unlike Jarre's Dreamscape from yesterday, Towns' choice of synths are much more approachable and the composer's use of piano moves from a positive, homely feel through to threatening and jarring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Jessabelle - Anton Sanko

Another eerie score but very different from Towns' effort. It sounds like Sanko's using the human voice and manipulating it in order to create a very chilling effect. The whole atmosphere of the score is dripping with foreboding.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Contamination - Goblin

This plays quite well as a 80s synth album but I can't really see how this works in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (deluxe edition) - Edward Shearmur

Hands down one of the best scores of the 21st century (for me anyway)!
    And being almost twice as long as the original release this complete version is a revelation.
    Such complexity and richness of orchestration. Shearmur at his best.
    Wish such projects could be given to him again. Sadly, I doubt it'll ever happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't tell me you've succumbed to the American Halloween tradition, Alan, and have a month of just playing horror scores? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Don't tell me you've succumbed to the American Halloween tradition, Alan, and have a month of just playing horror scores? wink

If you look at it that way then, yes, I have caved in. But, I like the idea of suggested listening subjects. It focuses me and gers me listening to titles that just sit there unlistened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A NIGHTINGALE FALLING (Graeme Stewart)

Again, about 20-30 minutes too long, but lushness galore!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017 edited
    NP: MUSIC FOR FILM (Terence Blanchard)

Brand new recording with the Brussels Philharmonic, for the upcoming WSA/Ghent appearance. I don't have any Blanchard in my collection (except maybe the occasional track on a compilation), so this is a nice overview. A lot of it is in 'classic symphonics-meet-jazz' idiom, like JNH's THE FUGITIVE.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa
    Tadlow/2017

I'm not as thrilled by this release as I was with Quo Vadis a few years back, because the original recording of Ben-Hur still survives and has seen stellar releases. Still this is a marvellous recording and overall product.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    I find it very bizarre that nobody that has posted has 'The Prince of Egypt' in their ten. confused

Indeed! It's #2 for me:

1. Gladiator
    2. Prince of Egypt
    3. Lion King
    4. Kung Fu Panda 2
    5. Pirates 3: AWE
    6. Da Vinci Code
    7. Pearl Harbor
    8. Thin Red Line
    9. As Good as it Gets
    10. Last Samurai
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PRINCE OF EGYPT is excellent, but would not feature in my Top 10. I've noticed, however, that it features high on many people's lists, usually those that are a bit younger than me.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Well I am not younger than you but I'm a kid at heart. So POE and TLK speak to me in a big way. And the songs are perfect for both.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Prince of Egypt is one of Zimmer's very best! Top 5 for me.
  10. To me his best orchestral writing alongside Spanglish, Da Vinci Code and Pirates 3 which is a close fourth. And yeah, really, I prefer the orchestrations of these three to the fourth Pirates, because in terms of Spanglish and DVC it's somewhat more subtle and Prince of Egypt boasts perhaps a better mix in terms of both the recording quality and the combination of the epic orchestral writing and some subtle electronics (The Burning Bush) is very mature.
  11. Jessica Curry - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Beautiful, heartfelt, mournful. Fantastic score.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017
    Revolt - Bear McCreary

One has to respect McCreary's dedication to tackling each project in unique ways. All four of his film scores this year sound completely different from each other. That said, I lasted about a minute into this one before giving up (and merely skimmed the rest of the similarly-sounding cues). If you like screaming electric guitar and heavy electronic processing reminiscent of some of the more obnoxious action cues from The Sarah Connor Chronicles, this is the score for you. I'd rather put Rebel in the Rye back on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa
    Tadlow/2017

I'm not as thrilled by this release as I was with Quo Vadis a few years back, because the original recording of Ben-Hur still survives and has seen stellar releases. Still this is a marvellous recording and overall product.

Volker

That is exactly what I was afraid of, hence me not buying this release straightaway (although I certainly was tempted...Rozsa rerecordings...hmmmmmm lick ).
    But there are just WAY too many excellent recordings in the market already. I honestly couldn't see what this one would contribute.
    I absolutely admire the zeal and drive of James Fitzpatrick in getting this done (and I gather it' was a bit of a dream project for him), but I'm a bit saddened that he chose this score as his swan song.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

I'd have preferred King of Kings
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jessica Curry - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Beautiful, heartfelt, mournful. Fantastic score.

Agreed. Fans of this should check out her new score to SO LET US MELT. I don't like it as much as RAPTURE, but fans of that one will like this. It's very nice, and nearly every track features some really impressive choral writing.
  13. NP - HIDDEN - Ashton Gleckman

This is very nice. The solo violin is just like I love it - achingly sad with loads of reverb. There's also a lot of nice piano in this score, which i'm a sucker for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Lorne Balfe's Penguins of Madagascar has one of the most underrated main themes ever. Its a real earworm so tread with caution.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB2FEC5el0
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  14. Timmer wrote
    yeah

I'd have preferred King of Kings

Me to. It is a complete recording of course. Yet that at the same time is kind of a problem. At two and a half hours even the greatest score becomes a challenge to get through. The maestro's own LP recording will remain my go to version for pure listening pleasure.

Volker
  15. I assume correctly, that outside the FSM Treasury box set the MGM LP recording of King of Kings has never been released on CD?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    Lorne Balfe's Penguins of Madagascar has one of the most underrated main themes ever. Its a real earworm so tread with caution.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB2FEC5el0

FIXED!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  16. Very fun music, indeed.
  17. DreamTheater wrote

Which is why I'm happy to be the odd one out:

1. The Prince of Egypt
    2. The Lion King
    3. Gladiator
    4. Broken Arrow
    5. Backdraft
    6. Interstellar
    7. Crimson Tide
    8. The Peacemaker
    9. The Thin Red Line
    10. The Rock

Damn straight that The Prince of Egypt should be in any top 10 list. Especially once you hear the full score (with the initial the ten commandments track (probably one of his biggest cues ever written and it wasn't even in the picture).

1. The Prince of Egypt
    2. A League of Their Own (talk about creativity and passion)
    3. Backdraft
    4. Crimson Tide
    5. The Da Vinci Code
    6. Gladiator
    7. The Thin Red Line
    8. The Lion King
    9. The Last Samurai
    10. Muppet Treasure Island
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017 edited
    The problem with PRINCE OF EGYPT is that the OST only had a few score tracks. Then there's the score bootleg with fluctuations in the volume and sound effects; and the promo which -- if memory serves -- was a bit overlong. So it never really got a proper score album, did it?

I only saw the film once, I didn't hold on to the OST because of minimal score, and I thought the bootleg was horrible. So I've never really had the chance to evaluate that score on a properly arranged album.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Because some wiseass decided to release some pop songs rather than doing the masterful score tracks that were missing (Chariot Race, It Is Only the Beginning).

But Burning Bush and Red Sea are obligatory listenings. Goodbye Brother is also fantastic, though featuring some more run-in-the-mill Media Ventures moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    I assume correctly, that outside the FSM Treasury box set the MGM LP recording of King of Kings has never been released on CD?

The mono 16 track recording?
    No, the FSM box is the only legal way to get a hold of a digital recording of that LP.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn