• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    The problem with PRINCE OF EGYPT is that the OST only had a few score tracks. Then there's the score bootleg with fluctuations in the volume; and the promo which -- if memory serves -- was a bit overlong. So it never really got a proper score album, did it?

I only saw the film once, I didn't hold on to the OST because of minimal score, and I thought the bootleg was horrible. So I've never really had the chance to evaluate that score on a properly arranged album.

I don’t know about any bootleg releases, but I know at the time several tracks were released via other channels (Chariot Race, It is only the Beginning, Hyroglyph Nightmare) and if you combine those with the score tracks of the album and include some song essentials that flow well with the score, like opening Deliver Us and the When You Believe film version, it’ll amount to a roughly 40 minute presentation that is just about right. No need for anything more or significant stuff that is missing.
  1. Actually, all songs are significant in film versions, because they were arranged by Hans' team, who might have (Harry Gregson-Williams) or might have not (John Powell) worked on the score proper. Of course even more significant are the two mentioned by Bob as Hans arranged them himself.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, all songs are significant in film versions, because they were arranged by Hans' team, who might have (Harry Gregson-Williams) or might have not (John Powell) worked on the score proper. Of course even more significant are the two mentioned by Bob as Hans arranged them himself.

Oh certainly, it's just that whenever I tried to arrange a "score" like presentation, I always preferred to keep the tone more towards the dramatic, Biblical arc and songs like Through Heavens Eyes or Playing With the Big Boys tend to break that flow and don't integrate their themes with the rest of the score, whereas the When You Believe film version is basically one with the Red Sea track. The Plagues is another one I would keep (also because it flows directly from score-track Rally).
  2. Isn't there a Hans Zimmer thread for this sort of discussion?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yes, but I'm now playing The Prince of Egypt as I type, which makes this on-topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017
    I don't think I've found a decent version of this score anywhere. I found one bootleg with "Chariot Race", among others, but it had sound effects all over it, as did several other tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I don't think I've found a decent version of this score anywhere. I found one bootleg with "Chariot Race", among others, but it had sound effects all over it, as did several other tracks.

I know, a proper release doesn't exist, there's a lot of fake bootlegs (with the audio and the amateur edits and stuff), that's why I'm saying there's a few tracks that came from legit sources (there was a Walmart bonus CD at the time I believe, which came with the DVD) that included the tracks Chariot Race and It is Only Beginning, and Hyroglyph Nightmare came from an official promo from Media Ventures if I remember correctly. Look for specifically those tracks and combine that with the score tracks on the album (8 tracks), and you've got a score selection that contains all the needed stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard Prince of Egypt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Blue Planet George Fenton

Magnificent music. Could listen to this all day.
  3. Southall wrote

So, not just me ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - John Williams

The LP presentation never sounded better than on this LLL release. As always I don't particularly care for the alternative tracks provided on this CD, but I'm sure, others do. The cue "The E.T. Adventure", that Williams wrote fore some theme park attraction, is a very nice addition.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

I know, a proper release doesn't exist, there's a lot of fake bootlegs (with the audio and the amateur edits and stuff), that's why I'm saying there's a few tracks that came from legit sources (there was a Walmart bonus CD at the time I believe, which came with the DVD) that included the tracks Chariot Race and It is Only Beginning, and Hyroglyph Nightmare came from an official promo from Media Ventures if I remember correctly. Look for specifically those tracks and combine that with the score tracks on the album (8 tracks), and you've got a score selection that contains all the needed stuff.

Ah, cheers. I'll look into that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TO THE WONDER (Hanan Townshend)

I wasn't particularly fond of the film, but I love the score, and how organic it is with the classical music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GREEN CARD (Hans Zimmer)

Funny story about this. I remember the film well when I saw it in the cinema, and also remember liking the score reasonably well in the 90s (can't remember where I sampled it; I didn't have the CD). But then some 4-5 years ago, I started digging into Zimmer's 90s scores again -- those I hadn't set aside proper time for -- and sampled this on Spotify. Well, I fell immediately in love. It has since skyrocketed into my Top 10 Zimmer list. Funny how these things work.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. BobdH wrote
    Yes, but I'm now playing The Prince of Egypt as I type, which makes this on-topic.

If you could let the group know when you're done...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHITE FANG (Hans Zimmer)

Poledouris' is good, but Zimmer's is better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2017
    A Ghost Story - Daniel Hart

honestly my score of the year right now. "The Secret in the Wall".... just wow
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    My package from Japan arrived!

NP: Attack on Titan - Hiroyuki Sawano

I love this score! (and the anime)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOVIE MEMORIES (John Williams & His Orchestra)

Ol' 1957 album with various popular movie songs at the time, piano and arrangements by a 25-year-old Williams. Easy-listening, "sweetified" lounge jazz stuff. Quite lovely.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

So, not just me ...

Goodness, the pair of you! It's required listening from Zimmer!

If you're concerned because of the less-than-ideal album situation: if you take what's on the regular commercial release and add "Chariot Race" you've basically heard all you need to hear. No need to bother with SFX-filled bootlegs or anything like that.
  7. Zimmer was at the top of his game during the 90s. So I had to put these on...

BACKDRAFT

Such emotion, such power ! What a fabulous score !

BROKEN ARROW

This is an action-packed favorite of mine ! 60 awesome minutes (IMHO) !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote

BROKEN ARROW

This is an action-packed favorite of mine ! 60 awesome minutes (IMHO) !

this has to be the worst movie I've ever seen, but, yeah, the score is pretty good :P
  8. The worst? Even John Woo himself has worse (Windtalkers for one).
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Zimmer was at the top of his game during the 90s. So I had to put these on...

BACKDRAFT

Such emotion, such power ! What a fabulous score !

The remix they did of the score for album purpose is quite staggering. The final action cues are stripped of almost half the electronics!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The worst? Even John Woo himself has worse (Windtalkers for one).

yep. the worst. (mainly because it had actual talent, as opposed to like an MST3K movie that was never going to be good in the first place)
  10. NP: The Limehouse Golem - Johan Söderqvist

It's a reasonably creepy score - in parts. But the similarities to Howard Shore's Seven are staggering. And very distracting.
  11. NP: The Alchemist - Richard Band

One of my favourite Richard Band scores. Economical in terms of orchestrations but creates a score that's at the same time unsettling and somehow romantic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Caliburn wrote
    My package from Japan arrived!

NP: Attack on Titan - Hiroyuki Sawano

I love this score! (and the anime)

this is fantastic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

yep. the worst. (mainly because it had actual talent, as opposed to like an MST3K movie that was never going to be good in the first place)

With John Woo it's pretty hard to choose a worst, they all kinda are wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

With John Woo it's pretty hard to choose a worst, they all kinda are wink

Not at all. Some of his Hollywood efforts are up and down, but back in Hong Kong he was more consistently good. He's also hugely influential.
    I am extremely serious.