• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Zimmer was at the top of his game during the 90s. So I had to put these on...

BACKDRAFT

Such emotion, such power ! What a fabulous score !

The remix they did of the score for album purpose is quite staggering. The final action cues are stripped of almost half the electronics!

I love the fact that with the leak from a few years ago (the unmentionable unofficial expansion of the score as heard in the film), we have now two different mixes of the same Zimmer composition. The 30 minute album (minus the songs) still packs a powerful punch, and I love it a bit more than the leaked expansion, but that's only because the expansion has more filler material. But the 'alternate' takes are just as good IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The worst? Even John Woo himself has worse (Windtalkers for one).

yep. the worst. (mainly because it had actual talent, as opposed to like an MST3K movie that was never going to be good in the first place)

With John Woo it's pretty hard to choose a worst, they all kinda are wink

Not at all. Some of his Hollywood efforts are up and down, but back in Hong Kong he was more consistently good. He's also hugely influential.

I just love his visual flair. He essentially invented slow motion action and twin gun stand-offs. Give Hard Boiled a watch.

And for something a bit more set in ancient Chinese times with swords and stuff: Red Cliff.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2017
    Indeed. You can no longer watch slo mo/standoff action scenes (especially with white doves) without immediately thinking of Woo.

Personally, I really like HARD TARGET, FACE/OFF and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II of his Hollywood efforts. For the Hong Kong stuff, there's obviously HARD BOILED. But also A BETTER TOMORROW and THE KILLER.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The Killer and Hard-Boiled are utterly brilliant. I still have to watch A Bullet in the Head.

Mission: Impossible 2 is one where I would want to watch a director's cut of, because forced to cut down, he actually was forced to make the plot completely nonsensical... even if it was actually built around action scenes Woo wanted to feature.

Face/Off is hands down his best Hollywood film and the only one where he was given relative freedom with the material including getting rid of an idea where Schwarzenegger would go against Stallone.

I also wish Hard Target had a director's cut. I believe in that case we might have a critical reversal, considering what was cut. At least a cut BEFORE Van Damme had the film recut.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Southall wrote
    The Blue Planet George Fenton

Magnificent music. Could listen to this all day.

Yes, it certainly is! I enjoy 'Deep Blue' even more, a beautiful refinement of the original played brilliantly by the Berlin Philharmonic.
  5. NP: Deep Blue (2005) - George Fenton

Indeed.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. NP: Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

One of my Top 10 favourite scores to listen to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Kwaidan - Toru Takemitsu

Traditional Japanese instruments (sometimes played in unusual ways), the human voice, shrieking metal and wood being torn apart mix with silent pauses to create a very unsettling atmosphere.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Terrore nello Spazio (Planet of the Vampires) - Gino Marinuzzi, Jr.

Interesting orchestral score that focuses on creating a creepy and unsettling feel rather than going for frights. There's tracks with synths/sound effects (difficult to decide which it is) that remind me of very early Doctor Who.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017
    Murray Gold's music for Season 9 has yet to be released, a shame, especially given the incredible music for the penultimate episode Heaven Sent.

However, someone managed to use a digital orchestra to recreate Heaven Sent's otherworldly final track. Check it out, "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgG5V7LWaGs"
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017 edited
    NP: THE ARTIST (Ludovic Bource)

The popularity of this film annoyed me, as I didn't care for it at all. Much ado about nothing. But the score is good for the pastiche that it is. The album is -- again -- a bit too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    The popularity of X annoyed me.

We know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The popularity of Steven annoyed me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not that popular, but I appreciate your vote of confidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    The popularity of Steven annoyed me.

Ooo, then he must be quite good. I should check him out!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does he do good stuff? I'm excited.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. NP: Witchfinder General - Paul Ferris

Things start off so serene and pastoral, but it doesn't take long for things to take a darker turn. Very evocative score.
  10. NP: Rosemary's Baby - Krzystof Komeda

Such a creepy score, and it sets the listener on edge (this listener anyway). And the lullaby has the property of sounding like it can become evil at the slightest provocation.
  11. NP: The Dunwich Horror - Les Baxter

Very atmospheric score this that's greatly enhanced by the catchy main theme - though it does get played a tad too much over the course of the album.
  12. NP: Le Frisson des Vampires - Acanthus

Very little hint of a horror score, more of a prog rock album with some great electric guitar riffs. A bit too much dialogue (tracks can be skipped) and sound effects (integral with the music).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017
    On your way to Halloween, are you?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    On your way to Halloween, are you?

I asked him the same thing a few posts back.

I've never been able to understand how one is able to just play horror scores for one day, much less a whole month. I go nuts after one, maximum two horror soundtracks, almost regardless of style and the amount of melody.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    The Stephen King concert at Fimucite was quite awesome :-) Lot of horror was played there. I did not expect me to enjoy it so much as I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017 edited
    NP: THE NATIVITY STORY (Mychael Danna)

There is very little 'religious sound' in this score (the way I define it), but it's a fine score nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Horror is probably my least favorite film score genre, I rarely listen to it anyways and even then never to an entire album after the first spin, only selected tracks/highlights. I mean, they're written to be unpleasant and not enjoyable and to scare you...

...and yet NP: The Ring (Hans Zimmer) - a ten-minute suite from this suffices for sure, because it repeats its core material quite a bit, but I like the sound. It has the same sort of elegance as Hannibal or The Da Vinci Code, but darker and more twisted. The reliance on cellos also foreshadows Frost/Nixon.
  14. And that reliance on cellos is also a remnant of Hannibal smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Horror is probably my least favorite film score genre, I rarely listen to it anyways and even then never to an entire album after the first spin, only selected tracks/highlights. I mean, they're written to be unpleasant and not enjoyable and to scare you...

to be honest, i really enjoy them when listening to them with lights out. thats why i always listen to horror filmscores only to fall asleep. with lights out you can experience the atmosphere much better. for me these scores are not scary without the pictures. The Ring, TCM: The Beginning, Sinister or also The Last House On The Left are perfect for that.
  15. There are few horror scores I really like, but these I love: Dracula (Williams); Dracula (Kilar); The Ninth Gate (Kilar). I'm not really a fan of the genre in general.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thank You For Your Service Thomas Newman

Unlikely to become a favourite.
  16. NP: Blood On Satan's Claw - Marc Wilkinson

This is playful but at the same time menacing. I've seen the phrase 'folk horror' being used when discussing this score (and others like Witchfinder General and The Wicker Man) but I am not sure that this one falls into this category (based upon my limited understanding of the term).

Some of the score is very melodic and it does feel a bit pastoral, but the almost demented playfulness, the menace and the use of the ondes martenot singles this one as a very good listen.