• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    On your way to Halloween, are you?

I asked him the same thing a few posts back.

I've never been able to understand how one is able to just play horror scores for one day, much less a whole month. I go nuts after one, maximum two horror soundtracks, almost regardless of style and the amount of melody.

Yes, meandering along to Halloween.

Listening to a few scores for horror movies of the 60s and 70s I am struck how unlike today's horror scores tend to be. Surprisingly listenable, some of the horror scores from this era are very listenable: melodic and innovative in terms of technique and orchestration. Listening to Blood On Satan's Claw at the moment and I am intrigued by the composer's ideas - though the descending scale motif he uses features very prominently and is becoming a bit annoying!

For example, you probably wouldn't hear such music as this for a horror music today: "Kathy's Rape and Death" (3:40)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. NP: La Terrificante Notte del Demonio (The Devil's Nightmare) - Alessandro Alessandroni

Most memorable thing about this score is the hypnotic main theme, especially when it appears via the wordless vocals of Giulia De Mutiis.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Flesh For Frankenstein - Claudio Gizzi

Another early 70s score that's worth hearing. The takeaway feeling from this score is sadness more than anything else. The quality of the sound on the album is very good too.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: THE NATIVITY STORY (Mychael Danna)

There is very little 'religious sound' in this score (the way I define it), but it's a fine score nonetheless.

It certainly has the most beautiful version of "Silent Night" I've ever heard. It's certainly part of my X-Mas Playlist titles I only add to my usual mix during those months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017
    Yes, love the "Silent Night" -- and even more the rendition of "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" at the very end, which also happens to be one of my alltime favourite psalms.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THOR: RAGNAROK - Mark Mothersbaugh

So far.... This is GOOD. REALLY GOOD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mark Mothersbaugh and superhero scores sounds like an unlikely combination, but as a non-fan of superhero thingies, that may be just what I need to check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RELIGIOUS SOUND (various)

I think Martijn sent these cues to me. They do not qualify as "religious sound" the way I think about them, but they're damn good tracks nonetheless. 1 hour and 47 minutes worth. So I made them into a separate compilation of sorts.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THOR: RAGNAROK - Mark Mothersbaugh

So far.... This is GOOD. REALLY GOOD.

I'm listening again. I think this is the years winner for me. Thor, it has some very retro 80's style moments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I will check it out. I like Doyle's first score (not all of it, but most of it), don't care for the Tylers at all. But maybe this one is different. 80s sounds good!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I feel like this new Mothersbaugh score is a better fit for Guardians of the Galaxy than Thor (a misgiving I have about the film as well based on its trailers). In fact it's a better fit than the actual Guardians of the Galaxy scores themselves which are weirdly straight-laced in comparison. It's a lot of fun, although I miss a really memorable theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GUEST (Steve Moore/various)

The songs are brilliant, but so is the score. One of my favourites of 2014, this (both film and score).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Thor: Ragnarok - Mark Mothersbough

When Mothersbough is allowed to play with his synths, this soundtrack can be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, a good chunk of the time, he's indulging in a pretty generic orchestral sound that we've heard in over a dozen of these films already. And per usual with the MCU, there aren't really any good themes to make up for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE RELIGIOUS SOUND (various)

I think Martijn sent these cues to me. They do not qualify as "religious sound" the way I think about them, but they're damn good tracks nonetheless. 1 hour and 47 minutes worth. So I made them into a separate compilation of sorts.

Yeah, I think we found out fairly quickly that your definition of a religious sound is far more akin to a pastoral one, while mine is glory and awe and pillars of salt.
    NOT really a match made in hea...um...well...anyway.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I'm a more pastoral guy myself. Give me The Robe/The Greatest Story over The Lord's Prayer anyway. I'm quite sensitive to mystical thought anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm a more pastoral guy myself. Give me The Robe/The Greatest Story over The Lord's Prayer anyway. I'm quite sensitive to mystical thought anyway.

Actually, both of those contain elements of MY "religious sound". It contains elements of both pastoral writing and "psalm" chords.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Tobe Hooper & Wayne Bell

Country music mixed with musique concrète creates a soundtrack that's more constructed than composed. Maybe seeing the movie helps to appreciate what this is all about.
  7. NP: The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue - Giuliano Sorgini

Ambient sounds and wailing voices add a creepy atmospheric feel to this score. There's some gothic church organ, dark synths and lush strings to balance the wailing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2017
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm a more pastoral guy myself. Give me The Robe/The Greatest Story over The Lord's Prayer anyway. I'm quite sensitive to mystical thought anyway.

Actually, both of those contain elements of MY "religious sound". It contains elements of both pastoral writing and "psalm" chords.

yeah
  8. NP: The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

Some of the greatest "set pieces" in film music history (IMO).
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Country music mixed with musique concrète.

This sounds like my version of Hell.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

yeah

You guys should be great fans of the national anthem of the Netherlands. I am. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    jb1234 wrote

When Mothersbough is allowed to play with his synths, this soundtrack can be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, a good chunk of the time, he's indulging in a pretty generic orchestral sound that we've heard in over a dozen of these films already. And per usual with the MCU, there aren't really any good themes to make up for this.

These Marvel Cinematic Universe scores have fantastic themes: Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 1, The Avengers 1 and 2, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy. The problem is that Marvel don't like reusing these themes so much. (Although I think they may be improving on that front a little.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

Some of the greatest "set pieces" in film music history (IMO).

My kinda religious sound.
  11. THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith

A fitting finale for The Omen trilogy, with equally strong themes but more entertaining underscore.
    For the longest time I gave this 4 stars but now it gets bumped to 4 and a half.
    Goosebumps galore from an almost sublime score. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. Steven wrote
    jb1234 wrote

These Marvel Cinematic Universe scores have fantastic themes: Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 1, The Avengers 1 and 2, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy. The problem is that Marvel don't like reusing these themes so much. (Although I think they may be improving on that front a little.)

I assume you meant to type Thor 1 rather than the piece of stock trailer music that is Thor 2's main theme. Otherwise I agree.
  13. Star Wars: The Force Awakens Williams

Absolutely brilliant, if 'The Last Jedi' is anywhere near as good we're in for a treat!
  14. Thor wrote
    Yes, love the "Silent Night" -- and even more the rendition of "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" at the very end, which also happens to be one of my alltime favourite psalms.

Yeah, someone that one has a nice "Tudor" feel to it. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JÄGARNA 2 (Johan Söderqvist)

Moody, as always with Johan, but in a good way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2017 edited
    NP: THOR: RAGNAROK (Mark Mothersbaugh)

Sorry, but this is just....meh. I'm not quite sure what people see or hear in it. Lots of loudness, percussive hits, blaring brass and some choir thrown in. Very little dynamic range. Some of the more electronic elements are cool, though -- wish he'd explored that more, in a more purified way. It reminds me of the hooplah surrounding Beltrami's GODS OF EGYPT a couple of years ago, another score that did nothing for me.
    I am extremely serious.