• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's probably one of the worst I can think of in the history of expanded releases, because it takes such a spectacular score and robs it of basically everything that makes it so great.

But...everything that makes the original album so good is still there, plus there's a whole lot more which makes it even better. confused

That's not how that works, and you know it! smile
    A true five star album is not just about the quality of the material, but about the presentation, flow, accessibility and overall experience while still retaining a cohesive musical narrative. It's DAMN hard creating such an album.

So it is not about mere quantity, even of high quality material.
    Case in point: all the many two to three hours presentations of Rozsa's Ben Hur have not a patch on them as far as quality is concerned....but they are overall a very poor listening experience due to their extreme length and repetition of non-specific material.
    The absolute gold star presentation is the 44 minute Decca release which may easily be the very best soundtrack release ever. Even though it obviously misses at least an hour and a half of material.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Interesting, I can't really think of a Golden Age score without a full C&C presentation, because I want to experience the leitmotivic structure.

I NEVER heard a 44-minute Ben Hur program.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    The absolute gold star presentation is the 44 minute Decca release which may easily be the very best soundtrack release ever. Even though it obviously misses at least an hour and a half of material.

Does it have a CD (or digital) release? I'd love a shorter Ben-Hur release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017 edited
    I have linked to it maaaaaaaaaany times. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. C&C releases let me re-experience a film on the abstract level of its music. If I want concept albums I turn to rock music. Anyway:

NP: Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Harry Gregson-Williams

A documentary I saw earlier tonight on TV used bits of the score which let me to revisiting it later. I love this score. A 5 star achievement IMO, hands down.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Ah, thanks. Perhaps you could have signalled it more clearly before so I wouldn't have had to bother you again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    C&C releases let me re-experience a film on the abstract level of its music. If I want concept albums I turn to rock music.

What a puzzling statement. confused
    Isn't film music by its very definition and function a "concept album"?
    I like film music for that very reason: that it (usually and for me preferably) has a clear narrative and a set of clear emotional buttons to push.
    So an album for me is a re-experience rather than a literal retelling ( as a C&C usually does). I only find that interesting in those fairly rare cases where the music is such an integral part of the experience that to cut or change anything would be to damage that very experience, OR when either film or music hold a very dear and special place in my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ah, thanks. Perhaps you could have signalled it more clearly before so I wouldn't have had to bother you again.

HELLO! HELLO!
    ATTENTION SOUTHALL!
    A DIGITAL COPY OF THE DECCA RELEASE OF ROZSA'S BEN HUR CAN BE PURCHASED FROM DUTTON-VOCALION THROUGH THIS LINK: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4332
    THAT'S THIS LINK AGAIN: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4332 for BEN HUR.
    BY MIKLOS ROZSA.
    CD FORMAT.
    44 MINUTES.

THIS MESSAGE WILL BE REPEATED EVERY 44 MINUTES.
    WHICH GIVES YOU -BY THE WILDEST COINCIDENCE- TIME TO LISTEN TO EXACTLY ONE INNING OF THE OLD DECCA RELEASE OF BEN HUR, BY MIKLOS ROZSA.
    WHICH CAN BE PURCHASED HERE: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4332 .

Hmm.
    I wonder if i should put this in a PM as well, just to be sure?
  3. But it is the musical narrative that often gets harmed by album presentations. Cues get re-assembled, renamed in a way that suggest a place in the film, where they do not belong. Also, as Pawel pointed out, the leitmotivic structural development isn't intact any longer, thus diminishing the symphonic quality of the work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    But it is the musical narrative that often gets harmed by album presentations. Cues get re-assembled, renamed in a way that suggest a place in the film, where they do not belong.

But as they are -and I admit this is a gap in latter-day presentations, where it's a mechanical assembly rather than the old 'symphonic suite rewrite' concert hall presentation- worked into a more presentable and accessible form, these cues actually get more and better focus! Themes and leitmotifs become much clearer!

Now of course if your interest is in finding and studying how these motifs are working as part of the film, the "concert album" won't do much for you.
    But that is not my interest at all. I just enjoy the music, and prefer the most presentable and accessible format.
  4. Often though, if I seek a more condensed version of the music without closely reflecting the narrative structure of the film, I gladly turn to album presentations. For example Ben-Hur is quite lengthy a score, so fine thing that Rozsa did a 40 minute version of it. I can't just remember what label released it on CD right now. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wasn't that the FilmScore Monthly release?
    Oh wait, no, sorry. That was 400 minutes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Another release of what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just checked.
    Sorry.
    There is only one release of what?.
  5. applause
  6. Lorne Balfe - Geostorm

The epitome of a guilty pleasure, a score which harkens at some of the best RCP anthems that ever were. Let's not lie about it, this one has Transformers written all over the place. But after Power Rangers and xXx disappointed in the fun department, this is as fun as this kind of romp can get. It does degenerate into pure noise once in a while, but it has a nice theme and is not afraid to use it. I expected a total piece of crap especially as I was really rooting for Pinar Toprak on this one, but I was surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017
    Kristofer Maddigan - Cuphead

A great soundtrack to mellow out on. :-)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2017
    Loving Vincent - Clint Mansell

Georgeous score and continues his rich vein of form in recent years. High Rise was my absolute favorite score of 2016. This isn't in that league but it has a beautiful melodic flow to it.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Back to the Future II (1989) - Alan Silvestri

A classic score from one of the strongest years in film scoring.

Volker

Oh come on, it's hardly bad but this isn't remotely in the same league as the same year's The Abyss (or Back to the Future Part III).
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017
    Blue Planet II - Hans Zimmer et al

Meh, it has its moments but it is pretty boring and uninteresting. Another miss from Zimmer overall.
  8. Doubt Zimmer had much to do with it....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017 edited
    Indeed. His theme is great though.
  9. He actually wrote a lot more than you'd think, he didn't just write the theme as on 'Planet Earth II'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017
    I was also underwhelmed by this, just as I was PLANET EARTH II.

It's been a couple of years since I was blown away by a Zimmer score on album, although plenty in recent years have worked wonderfully in the film. Last time was probably 2014/2015 with INTERSTELLAR and CHAPPIE.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. 'Interstellar' and 'Chappie' are probably my favourite recent Zimmer albums too. I just landed in Oslo Thor and on the clear day it looked stunning from the air. Shame I'm in transit and can't come and meet you for a beer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    'Interstellar' and 'Chappie' are probably my favourite recent Zimmer albums too. I just landed in Oslo Thor and on the clear day it looked stunning from the air. Shame I'm in transit and can't come and meet you for a beer!

Damn! Enjoy the airport with the world's most expensive beer and food. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    I just landed in Oslo...

Did you see the suspiciously phallic sculpture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

I adores the elegy for celli at the end of The Ascent. It's simply the most emotional string writing Hans' ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017
    lp wrote
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

I adores the elegy for celli at the end of The Ascent. It's simply the most emotional string writing Hans' ever done.

One of my alltime top 10 Zimmers.
    I am extremely serious.