• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017
    NP: BLADE RUNNER 2049 (Benjamin Wallfisch feat. Hans Zimmer)

My own playlist. Geezes, I must be a promising record producer, because this playlist is smokin'. Makes the score a hundred times better than what it actually is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017
    The Abyss Alan Silvestri

The scene where the alien ship is first revealed underwater near the end of the movie is a superb piece of image and music. Silvestri's religious sound in this score is perfect for the film. He will never top this.
  1. I watched the film for the first time in HD last week on Netflix and it looked so stunning I was immersed in the film like never before. The mixture of music and imagery during the climax is indeed stunning. Perhaps he'll never quite reach those heady heights again but I'm eagerly awaiting his scores for 'Ready Player One' and the next 'Avengers' next year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I recently watched it on Netflix too. I think The Terminator is technically Cameron's best film, but The Abyss might just be my favourite. The visual and special effects are incredible. Cameron's dedication to realistic underwater scenes shines through.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote

My own playlist. Geezes, I must be a promising record producer, because this playlist is smokin'. Makes the score a hundred times better than what it actually is.

Please do share.
  2. Steven wrote
    The visual and special effects are incredible. Cameron's dedication to realistic underwater scenes shines through.

Indeed, if the film was released today it would look great. But considering it was shot nearly 30 years ago on film with no blue screen set extension etc what Cameron was able to achieve on the film practically is nothing short of mind blowing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote

Please do share.

Here you go.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Le colonne sonore originali dei film di Sergio Leone - Ennio Morricone

Sometimes Morricone is a thing of necessity.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: Alexander Nevsky - Sergei Prokofiev

The score version played by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra & Leonard Slatkin. Magnificent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Alexander Nevsky - Sergei Prokofiev

The score version played by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra & Leonard Slatkin. Magnificent!

I've heard it's a little bit influential wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - Patrick Doyle

On Spotify. This isn't bad but nowhere as good as I hoped it would be. I'll have to give it another spin of course.

Volker
  6. NP: Captain Blood (1935) - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

The 20 minutes suite as played by the Brandenburg Philharmonic Orchestra & Richard Kaufman.
    While The Sea Hawk has seen recordings in abundance over the years there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive recording of this exiting score.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - Patrick Doyle

On Spotify. This isn't bad but nowhere as good as I hoped it would be. I'll have to give it another spin of course.

Volker

I totally agree. Was hoping there would be a lot more big, bold dramatic music. But it's still a classy score.

Don't Look Now - Pino Donaggio

May be short but it's a minor masterpiece nonetheless. Probably only rate Carrie as highly or would have played it as often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017
    I listened to Goldsmith's "The Edge" score yesterday. It's one of the only scores I can think of that captures the terrifying grandeur of the wilderness, the danger as well as the beauty. That it's attached to such a great movie doesn't hurt either.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017
    The weakest film music year of the millenium continues...

Justice League - Danny Elfman

Utterly mediocre. Elfman is now officially one of the most overrated film composers, though not as overrated as Giacchino and most of Remote Control, but after them it is Elfman.

Paddington 2 - Dario Marianelli

It is decent, but nothing I would want to listen to again. Hoping the other Marianelli score will be better.
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    I listened to Goldsmith's "The Edge" score yesterday. It's one of the only scores I can think of that captures the terrifying grandeur of the wilderness, the danger as well as the beauty. That it's attached to such a great movie doesn't hurt either.

You're certainly on to something here. At least it's up with the best.

Some weird choices I would add are Zimmer's K2 (which is, of course, a completely different animal, but I think he got it right) and, though not a wilderness movie, Williams' theme for Seven Years in Tibet.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017 edited

This sounds like someone installed Zimmer 2.0 over Elfman's operating software. At times, you can hear the latter's voice peaking through but most of the time, it's deeply generic, blockbuster bombast. And ungodly long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote

Utterly mediocre. Elfman is now officially one of the most overrated film composers,

I agree that what I've heard of this sounds mediocre, but let's not judge Elfman on the big blockbuster scores alone. He's never been more creative and vibrant than he is now, in terms of the indie and drama scores that he does. I know he does these big blockbuster things now and then to add some versatility to his work, but I really wish he toned those kinds of projects and just continued nurturing the indie sound instead.

For example, I have FAR higher expectations for his new Van Sant score than I ever had for JUSTICE LEAGUE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    My heart skipped a beat when I heard the Superman-theme snippet in "Friends and Foes".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Washu wrote

at least Hollywood is fine aside from that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My two cents on the Justice League while I listen to my custom 66 minute playlist!

Elfman orchestrated the shit out of this score but it's still rooted in the big, low brass, dark, menacing tones of MOS and BvS. However, the new heroic theme is far more upbeat and triumphant.

Let's talk briefly about that theme. It gets a pretty good work out in the score proper but I'm flabbergasted at how close the progression of it is to Silvestri's Avengers Theme. Why in the hell would you write ANYTHING that has ANY resemblance to a Marvel theme? Also, why does the Hero's Theme sound like it belongs to The Shadow?

I don't miss the established DCEU themes because I honestly don't care for them, with the exception of WW's theme. Elfman obviously thought the same and tossed Zimmer and Junkie's Superman and Batman melodies from the first two film. I love the integration of Elfman's Batman Theme and Wiliams' Superman Theme, HOWEVER, and this is a pet peeve of mine, and to be fair, the lack of thematic continuity in any film franchise always bothers me. But that's not enough for me to outright HATE a score.

Elfman's (or Toprak's) arrangement of the Wonder Woman material is SENSATIONAL! That was a BIG goosebumps moment for me and I wish there was more of it in the score. And Elfman breaking out the Batman March in “The Final Battle” had me shedding tears.

What about the ridiculous amount of sustained energy and creativity in the complete “The Tunnel Fight” and the complete “The Final Battle.” Holy mother of God!!!! If you haven’t heard those two cues back to back then prepare to have your face melted! Intense, glorious stuff!

The first minute of 'Aquaman in Atlantis' is dense. Absolutely mindblowing! Enormous doesn't even begin to describe the scale of that cue!

But it’s not all big, brassy Elfman superhero goodness. The more intimate, reflective cues - “Home” and “Bruce and Diane” - are emotional clinchers for me. And what’s this? Woodwinds? A flute solo? In a DCEU movie? Naaaaaaaaaah, can’t be. wink

Oh, before I forget, one other aspect that might turn some people off is the running time of the album. 1 hour and 40 minutes is a lot to take in. I think a 60-65 minute presentation would make it easier for listeners to identify themes and ideas and give it a bit more cohesion.

Anyway, I really enjoyed what I heard. Actually, it got me very excited to actually see the movie. I wasn’t a fan of MOS and I outright hated BvS but after hearing Elfman’s score I might ACTUALLY be interested in seeing the film…. mainly to hear Elfman’s score in context.

-Erik-

PS - Here is my playlist

01 The Justice League Theme - Logos
    03 Hero’s Theme
    04 Wonder Woman Rescue
    05 Hippolyta’s Arrow
    06 The Story of Steppenwolf
    07 The Amazon Mother Box
    08 Aquaman in Atlantis
    09 Then There Were Three
    10 The Tunnel Fight (Full Length Bonus Track)
    11 Spark of The Flash
    12 Friends and Foes
    13 Justice League United
    14 Home
    15 Bruce and Diana
    16 The Final Battle (Full Length Bonus Track)
    17 A New Hope
    18 Hero’s Theme
    19 Anti-Hero’s Theme
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Washu wrote

Far, FAR from it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the playlist suggestion, Erik! I'd probably include a few more of the calmer moments over the big action stuff. But it's a good point-of-departure.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote

Elfman's (or Toprak's) arrangement of the Wonder Woman material is SENSATIONAL! That was a BIG goosebumps moment for me and I wish there was more of it in the score.

maybe it is also geoff zanelli's arrangement. he wrote additional music for this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh, before I forget, one other aspect that might turn some people off is the running time of the album. 1 hour and 40 minutes is a lot to take in. I think a 60-65 minute presentation would make it easier for listeners to identify themes and ideas and give it a bit more cohesion.

But... the main score program IS 64 minutes. Why is everybody commenting or complaining about the length? Just toss the songs and cues marked as BONUS, and you get the main presentation. If you love the action cues, then replace the regular album versions with the 10+ minute extensions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

You're certainly on to something here. At least it's up with the best.

Some weird choices I would add are Zimmer's K2 (which is, of course, a completely different animal, but I think he got it right) and, though not a wilderness movie, Williams' theme for Seven Years in Tibet.

per your recommendation I listened to K2's soundtrack, but I have to say I wasn't a fan of the wailing guitar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Live in Prague Hans Zimmer

The only way I know there are actual human beings playing actual instruments in this is because I've seen pictures. It really does sound like, other than the electric guitars and drums, very nearly everything else is sampled. It sounds very good at times (particularly Inception), not so good at others, and the film music comedy highlight of the year comes in the form of the "fishy pasta" bit.
  8. Aidabaida wrote
    per your recommendation I listened to K2's soundtrack, but I have to say I wasn't a fan of the wailing guitar.

I understand.

Personally, I always took that as a fitting representation of that adrenaline-driven macho lead character's world view. ^^

I'm not a big fan of this kind of stuff in movie scores, but I thought it gave this (both the score and movie) an extra edge.
  9. James Newton Howard - Restoration

Damn, why didn't I know this beauty earlier?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. I love that score! It’s totally gorgeous.

Finished my first listen to JUSTICE LEAGUE. I like it. I think Erik’s post is spot on. It doesn’t sound Zimmerish to me at all. The Wonder Woman theme has never sounded better. I wished there was more of it. And how can you not love hearing the Batman theme again? And all the little Batmanisms peppered throughout the score. The new theme is fine, though oddly similar to the avengers theme. The action music is some of the best I’ve heard this year.