• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I need to give JL another listen. I kind of like its classic approach, but I'm having the same problems I've always had with Elfman's action style in general. His themes have been his greatest strength for me, and so far I like what I heard, especially the already mentioned WW references, which must be his best action scoring, like, ever, but usually, his action is too chaotic for me.

Also, I'm a continuity freak, so of course I would have preferred the MoS and BvS style, but if it's true that the movie is different in tone to its predecessors, I might be okay with the old theme's reappearance. Not that I don't love them, I just think I'll find it odd, especially in regards to Superman. I'll probably be okay with Affleck's Batman getting the Elfman treatment, but Elfman's ego here is a bit over the top. It's okay he wants to use his theme again, but claiming it's the original theme kind of ignores a tiny detail from long ago, doesn't it? Not that I would want to hear THAT, of course.
  2. christopher wrote
    I love that score! It’s totally gorgeous.

Finished my first listen to JUSTICE LEAGUE. I like it....The new theme is fine, though oddly similar to the avengers theme. The action music is some of the best I’ve heard this year.

Can't argue with these sentiments.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017
    Is the Wonder Woman theme only in Wonder Woman Rescue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017
    Anthony wrote
    Is the Wonder Woman theme only in Wonder Woman Rescue?

No, it pops up again in The Final Battle!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: The Last Horizon - Dimitri Tiomkin

The RCA remaster of the Gerhardt album plus "The Thing (From Another World)" suite taken from Play it Again: The Classic Sound of Hollywood.

Volker

EDIT: Well, Lost Horizon actually. Got something mixed up here. dizzy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2017
    DARKEST HOUR - Dario Marianelli

Haven’t heard much yet, but from what I’ve heard this seems to be Marianelli once again on top form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017
    NP: TOKYO GHOUL (Don Davis)

This is great. I had expected the action stuff to be too demanding for my tinnitus-afflicted ears, but it works reasonably well. It's far more tonal than something like WARRIORS OF VIRTUE, JURASSIC PARK III or even THE MATRIX. Once in a while, a new score of this type slips through my "anti-action" filter.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The West Wing- still going through CD 1, and I can't imagine the Whiny Entitled Manbaby section of fandom will be happy that a lot of it is fairly subdued and sans a real orchestra, but's all pretty effective. Like it.
  5. Cindylover1969 wrote
    the Whiny Entitled Manbaby section of fandom

Er...is there something you need to get off your chest?
  6. Edward Scissorhands Elfman

Sat under the Northern Lights listening to this, sublime...
  7. Wow, that sounds amazing!

shocked Volker
  8. John Chambers wrote
    Edward Scissorhands Elfman

If ever there was a post to argue for a "like" button, this is it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017
    Going on a Newman binge.

Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

It is pretty good, but nothing special.

Finding Dory - Thomas Newman

Meh, the first one is better.

The Salton Sea - Thomas Newman

I can't say I like this, but there are one or two bright spots in this thing I guess.

Passengers - Thomas Newman

I like it, but again, nothing special. It is probably the best of the bunch though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You don't seem to be enjoying your binge that much...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A whinge binge!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017
    NP: EX MACHINA (Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow)

My favourite film of 2015. The score is intriguing, although works better in context than on album.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote

My favourite film of 2015. The score is intriguing, although works better in context than on album.

Was there anything in particular that elevated this to the top of your list? I watched this for the first time at the weekend and almost thought that it was a waste of my time. It was just so slow and I found it not very interesting. The score was certainly a benefit to helping establish the mood and feel for the movie, and certainly works better in the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017 edited
    Oh yes, many things. I loved how the various philosophical and meaningful layers were communicated discretely (but beautifully) through photography, production design, dialogue throughout. It's very much MY kind of movie -- sort of an artfilm, but told pretty straightforward. Slow, yes (I love slow!), but always extremely engrossing. Here's a Norwegian article I wrote about it; not sure how much sense it will make through Google Translate:

http://montages.no/2015/04/hyperelegant … x-machina/

It's one of my favourite A.I.-themed movies ever made (not too far after BLADE RUNNER, 2001 and A.I.).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Have you seen AUTOMATA from a few years back? I fancy seeing that. What do you think of that one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have you seen AUTOMATA from a few years back? I fancy seeing that. What do you think of that one?

It was fairly OK, but it's been a while. I remember having some issues (I think Melanie Griffith was one of them), and it's a far more straightforward film without the ambition of EX MACHINA. The score is very good, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Thor wrote

A good one. I was listening to this score too three days ago. Looking forward hearing their next score for the next Garland movie.
    Steven wrote
    You don't seem to be enjoying your binge that much...

True, but I wanted to give some Newman scores I wasn't much into another go. It didn't go too well, my opinion more or less remained the same as some years ago.

NP:

The Revenant - Ryuichi Sakamoto and more

I like this more now than I did back in 2015, but it isn't really good. Kind of a bit dull. Too much ambient droning that goes nowhere. Aside from a few cues I find the rest not more than OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017
    Whereas most marvel films have interesting melodies and boring textures, THOR: RAGNAROK has interesting textures and boring melodies.

John Chambers wrote
    Edward Scissorhands Elfman

not..... fair.....
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2017
    GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL | alexandre desplat

Among my favourites of his, but it's better not to listen to it too often, because it is so quirky. Lots of standout tracks, and today I choose Canto at Gabelmeister's Park. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited
    Nobody is playing anything, so I'll join you all and I'm having a look at Desplat's the Shape of Water. There's only one track, so there's not much to say. Whistle like, with some glass sounding instrument which he used in several other scores too (Girl with a Pear Earring?) and accordion.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017
    NP: NOT FORGOTTEN (Jürgen Beck)

Has a bit of a SCHINDLER'S LIST vibe going on, but I think it's gorgeous in all its Eastern-European melancholy.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - John Williams

By comparison there seems to be but little difference between CD1 of the new La-La-Land 2CD release and the special edition release. I'm sure Mike Matessino did an awesome job mastering the new album. But because I am not interested in the additional material on the second CD I change my resolve on this release and will most likely not obtain it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017
    NP: CRASH (Mark Isham)

One of the 10 best electronically driven scores ever written.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - John Williams

By comparison there seems to be but little difference between CD1 of the new La-La-Land 2CD release and the special edition release. I'm sure Mike Matessino did an awesome job mastering the new album. But because I am not interested in the additional material on the second CD I change my resolve on this release and will most likely not obtain it.

Volker

I’m the opposite. I’d love to have these new presentations of the score, but I’m no fan of Mike Matessino’s masterings and this is no exception. The Arista album sounded so much better. Now, it sounds more dated than ever before. Why must this man do everything?
  12. Looks like Matessino has earned the Maestro's trust.
  13. NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Howard Shore

Just when everybody thought John Williams' STAR WARS TRILOGY would never be equalled, along came Howard Shore with the Ring of Power. smile