• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited
    The Last Jedi - John Williams

It's fine. I'm not the biggest fan of Williams' contemporary action writing and there's plenty of that here. Weirdly, it sounds even choppier than the norm. Could be the way the film is edited or maybe the music itself is heavily edited. Some of the returning themes have nice statements here but it's a shame that the only new theme (Rose's) isn't a standout. I'm sure I'll appreciate the score more after seeing the film but for now, I think I could make an engaging forty minute playlist out of this.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Last Jedi comes across like Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets where existing material was just rearranged.

Even the Main Title segue into the first cue is just a rehash.

William Ross is credited as a conductor...just saying...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017
    Where is this "Rose Theme" that everyone talks about? There is no such track on the album.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's the first melody you hear in "Fun With Finn And Rose". Or there's the big "heroic" version of it in The Fathiers at 1:28. Sounds more Harry Potter-ish than Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do I hear Battle of the Heroes at the beginning of the album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    It's the first melody you hear in "Fun With Finn And Rose". Or there's the big "heroic" version of it in The Fathiers at 1:28. Sounds more Harry Potter-ish than Star Wars.

Ok, thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Washu wrote
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi - John Williams

...The Last Jedi strikes me as less dull and more energetic extension of The Force Awakens overall, but I do miss TFA's new thematic additions and its more economical quality. I also sorely miss LSO (again) and was shocked to find out that there were no concert arrangements on the album. A messy End Credit suite doesn't help either.

Pretty much agree in full, Washu.
    What struck me is that the very entrance of the main title is quite unexpectedly (and shockingly) lackluster in its lack of power.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I’m kind of surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for this score around here. Yes, it relies heavily on previous themes, but it is the 8th film in a franchise that absolutely exemplifies musical continuity and long-lined themes. How many of us have complained that the MCU lacks these things? Now here we have a score that does exactly what we wish other franchises would do and we’re complaining about how much rehash there is. I totally get the disappointment that there aren’t more big new themes. He has spoiled us with those so many times in the past that we’ve come to expect that. But even so, this is easily the most fun I’ve had with film music this year. The reappearance of some of those original trilogy themes was so exciting to me! The continuation of the themes from TFA was really good. Any new score from John Williams is a treasure in my book, a STAR WARS score even more so. You’re perfectly entitled to lament what may have been, of course. I’m just happy to get more.
  2. I said, it's an expertly crafted score, so there is not much to complain about. The apparent lack of concert cues and the serenade style end titles suite don't bother me as much as others. As for the lack of more new themes I have to see the film tonight. If there are no more major new characters or new places then the score has no use for new leitmotifs.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017 edited
    NP: SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

Music which actually makes you want to sit out in the sun, preferably in wine country, sippin'...
  3. christopher wrote
    I’m kind of surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for this score around here. Yes, it relies heavily on previous themes, but it is the 8th film in a franchise that absolutely exemplifies musical continuity and long-lined themes. How many of us have complained that the MCU lacks these things? Now here we have a score that does exactly what we wish other franchises would do and we’re complaining about how much rehash there is. I totally get the disappointment that there aren’t more big new themes. He has spoiled us with those so many times in the past that we’ve come to expect that. But even so, this is easily the most fun I’ve had with film music this year. The reappearance of some of those original trilogy themes was so exciting to me! The continuation of the themes from TFA was really good. Any new score from John Williams is a treasure in my book, a STAR WARS score even more so. You’re perfectly entitled to lament what may have been, of course. I’m just happy to get more.

Well, there's a balance to be struck, obviously. Too much rehash comes across as lazy and uninspired, not enough and you end up with the MCU situation of nothing sticking. But just because someone says a score is too much on one side doesn't mean they want the extreme opposite. Nobody is clamoring for Williams to start entirely over and toss out the old themes entirely. After all, Williams has written several Star Wars scores that balance the two perfectly, including The Force Awakens not so long ago. (Full disclosure, haven't heard Last Jedi yet, so this is all theory)
  4. NP: Rouge One (2016) - Michael Giacchino

This hods up. IMO it really does.
    That said, when Disney will eventually dive into that "Old Republic" trilogy, there will probably be a lot of brooding Sith stuff happening. I'd actually like Elliot Goldenthal to tackle that.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Rouge One (2016) - Michael Giacchino

That said, when Disney will eventually dive into that "Old Republic" trilogy, there will probably be a lot of brooding Sith stuff happening. I'd actually like Elliot Goldenthal to tackle that.

Volker

And I'd like to win the lottery.

But yes, Rogue One is a superb score.
  5. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

And I'd like to win the lottery.

Me too. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ROGUE ONE is one of the worst scores of the 2010s. Absolutely dreadful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

ROGUE ONE is one of my favorite scores of the recent years; Confrontation on Eadu and Your Father Would Be Proud are possibly the greatest cues of the 2010s.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017
    Currently at school , on a half-hour break pushing the days forward to Friday! Thank God I have my iPod with me!

NP:The Game of Thrones Season 7~ Ramin Djawadi

Season 6 remains my favorite in terms of a soundtrack but I cannot help but recognize a sense of power throughout the score.I love, love, love Truth!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. Thor wrote

Aidabaida wrote
    ROGUE ONE is one of my favorite scores of the recent years; Confrontation on Eadu and Your Father Would Be Proud are possibly the greatest cues of the 2010s.

Jeez, you're both wrong.

(Well, Aida, not about it being your favorite...I guess that would be your call. wink You know what I mean...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As I mentioned earlier, ROGUE ONE is one of the very few times in my life I've actually been outright ANNOYED by a score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017 edited
    NP: Lots of 2017 scores....

Having a late rush on Spotify and elsewhere to listen to as many 2017 scores as I can, that I haven't heard so far. It's one of the most disappointing years in a while, and although I can certainly pick a Top 10 for my webcast, the top 10 is not as good as previous years. And there are no clear winners. slant (especially electronic scores have been underwhelming or absent this year).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Currently at school , on a half-hour break pushing the days forward to Friday! Thank God I have my iPod with me!

iPod! There's a blast from the past. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017 edited
    So happy I got my 120 GB iPod back when they were in fashion. No phone or tablet since has been able to replicate the storage and useability of that.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I wouldn't part with my dedicated music player either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Neither would I.
    Biggest dick move Apple pulled, retiring the proper-size iPod.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Did they? My 160GB iPod is a collector's item now? I am nowadays using my phone more and more with a 128 GB card. But when I am on holiday or something I love the iPod, because of its battery live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They did, and it is.
    The panic may now have subsided somewhat, but right around the time of the retirement Classics on eBay went for positively silly money!

I purchased a spare (I use it with ridiculous intensity, so chances of it falling, breaking, getting stolen or developing a defect are quite huge) just before they went out of production, just in case. And I'm glad I did!
  8. I use a Walkman (ah, the nostalgia involved here) NWZ A10 with a 64 GB card. It's lighter and faster than the Ipod and it's enough capacity for me. Jet I still have my Ipod stored away just in case.

Volker
  9. I just started using a Walkman (NW-A35) with a 128GB card inserted. Sony's Media Go software is very easy and useful to use to manage playlists, adding/removing tracks, etc.

I still have the Classic iPod somewhere but I don't use it much now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Indeed. The Media Go suite is a big pro.