• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: Lots of 2017 scores....

Having a late rush on Spotify and elsewhere to listen to as many 2017 scores as I can, that I haven't heard so far. It's one of the most disappointing years in a while, and although I can certainly pick a Top 10 for my webcast, the top 10 is not as good as previous years. And there are no clear winners. slant (especially electronic scores have been underwhelming or absent this year).

I agree that this year has been pretty underwhelming. There have been some fine drama scores coming from outside of Hollywood, though. If you haven't heard A.R. Rahman's VICEROY'S HOUSE, or Patrick Doyle's A UNITED KINGDOM (though I don't think the IFMCA is counting that as a 2017 score), or Nigel Westlake's ALI'S WEDDING, or Alejandro Vivas's EL JUGADOR DE AJEDREZ, or Ilan Eshkeri's THE EXCEPTION, those are all thoroughly lovely. And if you haven't heard Jessica Curry's SO LET US MELT, I'm sure you would enjoy that one.

I just finished listening to EL JUGADOR DE AJEDREZ just now and was really impressed by it again.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote
    I’m kind of surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for this score around here. Yes, it relies heavily on previous themes, but it is the 8th film in a franchise that absolutely exemplifies musical continuity and long-lined themes. How many of us have complained that the MCU lacks these things? Now here we have a score that does exactly what we wish other franchises would do and we’re complaining about how much rehash there is. I totally get the disappointment that there aren’t more big new themes. He has spoiled us with those so many times in the past that we’ve come to expect that. But even so, this is easily the most fun I’ve had with film music this year. The reappearance of some of those original trilogy themes was so exciting to me! The continuation of the themes from TFA was really good. Any new score from John Williams is a treasure in my book, a STAR WARS score even more so. You’re perfectly entitled to lament what may have been, of course. I’m just happy to get more.

Well, there's a balance to be struck, obviously. Too much rehash comes across as lazy and uninspired, not enough and you end up with the MCU situation of nothing sticking. But just because someone says a score is too much on one side doesn't mean they want the extreme opposite. Nobody is clamoring for Williams to start entirely over and toss out the old themes entirely. After all, Williams has written several Star Wars scores that balance the two perfectly, including The Force Awakens not so long ago. (Full disclosure, haven't heard Last Jedi yet, so this is all theory)

Fair points, all. It's easily top ten for the year for me, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017
    Thor wrote
    As I mentioned earlier, ROGUE ONE is one of the very few times in my life I've actually been outright ANNOYED by a score.

Wow, you're very easily annoyed I take it?
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    LSH wrote
    Thor wrote
    As I mentioned earlier, ROGUE ONE is one of the very few times in my life I've actually been outright ANNOYED by a score.

Wow, you're very easily annoyed I take it?

He just really, really, really, really, really, really hates Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah I get that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017 edited
    Yeah, that. Nothing against the man -- who seems very sweet -- but I hate his music and I hate the esteem he's held in by fans. This 'double whammy' can easily lead to annoyance when it is one of your favourite musical franchises being raped. Same thing happened with JURASSIC WORLD too, but to a slightly lesser extent (probably because of the presence of the Williams themes).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: TV themes playlist - various

My own personal list of favourite TV theme tunes gathered over the years. A running total so far of 620 title themes and memorable/'iconic' tracks from TV shows.

Sometimes I just need to revel in the tracks that sowed the seeds to where my music preferences are today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    620 TV themes....that's a lot. What's the timeframe?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The Little Mermaid: Legacy Collection. Just as Beauty And The Beast has an Amazon pre-order page up for its edition. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    620 TV themes....that's a lot. What's the timeframe?

There's lots of themes that have multiple entries - for example, there are 5 or 6 different versions of the theme to The Waltons - so the number of distinct themes is a lot smaller.

The time range is from about the mid/late 1950s right through to 2017. I have included a number of tracks from the 1930s but these are from old Laurel and Hardy shorts that were on the TV when I was growing up.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just been sat on my balcony on a beautiful night under swaying palms listening to Basil Poledouris Farewell To The King...bliss
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....yeah, aren't we all?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gotta rub it in a little Thunderer while I can, ‘‘tis but a matter of time before I’m on the receiving end
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Just been sat on my balcony on a beautiful night under swaying palms listening to Basil Poledouris Farewell To The King...bliss

That sounds like the right environment for the right score.
    Well played!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well played!

If we are looking for appropriate scores for the current situation, perhaps I need to listen to some 'kitchen sink drama' scores such as Roberto Gerhard's This Sporting Life or John Cameron's Kes? wink
  6. NP: The Prince and the Pauper (Compilation) - Various Composers

A number of cues Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra recorded for Readers Digest. George Korngold later licensed these recordings for Varese Sarabande. Among many other great tracks the album features a recording of George Delerue's theme for Anne of the Thousand Days.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well played!
    yup! Super close as i’m on the South China Sea coast
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well played!

If we are looking for appropriate scores for the current situation, perhaps I need to listen to some 'kitchen sink drama' scores such as Roberto Gerhard's This Sporting Life or John Cameron's Kes? wink
    How Green was My Valley? ( sorry for any mistakes It’s difficult writing on a phone
  7. Thor wrote
    one of your favourite musical franchises being raped.

OK. Cool it. Now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    'tis the truth.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. RED DE LIBERTAD - Oscar Martin Leanizbarrutia

Wow. This deserves to be heard. It's a wartime historical epic (by the sounds of it) and has some really impressive music. I've never heard of this guy before this, but I'm impressed. Give a listen to "Esperanza y Libertad" or "La Guerra ha Terminado." Those are both very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    one of your favourite musical franchises being raped.

OK. Cool it. Now.

Thor wrote
    'tis the truth.

Now we just need a Giacchino Indiana Jones score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well played!
    yup! Super close as i’m on the South China Sea coast

Where you at Tim?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm guessing he's moved on from Nepal and is now in Cambodia or Thailand?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017 edited
    NP: WAR HORSE - John Williams

First listen(!) despite finding this CD in my collection earlier today - no idea how that happened. Nevertheless, I'm liking it very much so far. Very strong echoes of Far And Away... which is no bad thing in my book.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017
    LSH wrote
    NP: WAR HORSE - John Williams

First listen(!) despite finding this CD in my collection earlier today - no idea how that happened. Nevertheless, I'm liking it very much so far. Very strong echoes of Far And Away... which is no bad thing in my book.

cool

It's the best score JW has written since 2005 -- really the only one that is any good in that period.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Your statements sound more and more apodicitic these days, tunderer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Your statements sound more and more apodicitic these days, tunderer. wink

I had to look that word up.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thunderer. No spell check on my current PC. (at school) spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017 edited
    NP: TITANIC - James Horner [La La Land Complete]

Right, where to start? This release is not only interesting in itself but reveals rather a lot about the film and the scoring process as a whole.

Apparently this release lays out the score "as Horner intended". So, that means a lot of the original album is actually pretty accurate since some of the cues in this 'new' sequence are indeed the same. And yet there's still a great deal of material here that never made the final cut. A good example is the 2½ Miles Down cue which stretches 10m30s. Makes you wonder what the original cut for that sequence was.

The best addition is over 16mins of extra music for the sinking sequences. It's this material that I enjoyed the most from the first album but the two new cues A Building Panic (NOT the same as the track from the Back To Titanic album) and Trapped On D Deck include all the action and suspense stuff which I always missed.

Finally, it's great to have some of the revised cues, such as the Southampton piece as heard in the film. It's clearly not the version Horner originally wanted and it highlights how serious re-writes were required to accommodate the extensive cutting process the film endured because of how very differently its structured.

Overall, a very very interesting release.