• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2017
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just been sat on my balcony on a beautiful night under swaying palms listening to Basil Poledouris Farewell To The King...bliss

That sounds like the right environment for the right score.
    Well played!
    yup! Super close as i’m on the South China Sea coast

Where you at Tim?
    Thor. It far off with his geography i’m In vietnam
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Not that far off, or isn't he? Will you stay there for Christmas and the Turn of the Year? All the Best!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Played earlier:

Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Maurice Jarre

This classic score is part of my private Christmas soundtrack every year.

NP: The Last Jedi (2017) - John Williams

Whatever you think about the film or how the music was conceived and applied in context, I now think that as an album this is pure fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017 edited
    The Rock Zimmer and Co.

It may not have the greatest orchestrations, but the themes, the melodies, shine through. People may hate this score for good reasons, but I love it for equally good ones. A personal rating of 5 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017
    Steven wrote
    The Rock Zimmer and Co.

It may not have the greatest orchestrations, but the themes, the melodies, shine through. People may hate this score for good reasons, but I love it for equally good ones. A personal rating of 5 stars.

speaking of zimmer, old clemmensenn just trashed DUNKIRK on Filmtracks, and already, there's comments equating Zimmer to Trump.

I think it's fair to say FilmScoreMonthly is the Reddit of the film scoring world, and Filmtracks is the 4chan.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    The Rock Zimmer and Co.

Absolutely agree. Admittedly, it is certainly a product of its time. However there's a genuinely palpable sense of "fuck it, let's have fun with this" with this score; a quality that the majority of subsequent RC/MV scores never quite achieved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just been sat on my balcony on a beautiful night under swaying palms listening to Basil Poledouris Farewell To The King...bliss

That sounds like the right environment for the right score.
    Well played!
    yup! Super close as i’m on the South China Sea coast

Where you at Tim?
    Thor. It far off with his geography i’m In vietnam

Ah fantastic. Hope you're having a great time.

If you'd have been in that general area just a few months ago, I'd have been more than willing to come join you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    THE POST - John Williams

Another week, another John Williams score.
  3. I see there are five cues on Spotify (Germany). Is that a sample? As far as I know the CD will be released in January.

Volker
  4. It's the full score. The CD itself is coming out closer to the film premiere. Make sure the CD premiere hasn't moved up to February as the film was postponed to mid-February here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    If there’s really only five cues up then it’s not the full score, as the album comprises of 10 tracks.
  5. Oh yes. We have the full score in Poland.
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Rock Zimmer and Co.

speaking of zimmer, old clemmensenn just trashed DUNKIRK on Filmtracks, and already, there's comments equating Zimmer to Trump.

I think it's fair to say FilmScoreMonthly is the Reddit of the film scoring world, and Filmtracks is the 4chan.

The comments sections of the reviews at Filmtracks tend to be a haven for trolls. The actual board is not 4chan-like at all.
  7. Listening through some of my favourite ever cues and it's highlighting how my 'Golden Age' is from the eighties and nineties. There's so much quality divided up amongst so many scores at that time compared with more recently, IMO. Today there's a level of averageness being punctuated with occasional greatness that's quite disheartening.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. There's a lot to be said for the change in cinematic aesthetics, the faster pace of films and editing and so on. It's a very complex issue.
  9. Yes, there's pros and cons. I feel a bit of an 'old timer' harking on about the good old times: my kids see nothing amiss about how today's movies are put together. But, the majority of today's film output seems not to lend itself to particularly memorable film music. IMO.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2017
    Good Time - Oneohtrix Point Never

Another electronic artist breaking out in film music. Some of the best electronic film music of the year can be found here, but that doesn't say much and I still find it very overrated. I am completely satisfied with keeping just one track from it. There is annoying dialogue from the film on the soundtrack too.

The Post - John Williams

Yet another weak Williams score, it has to be one of his weakest of this century, certainly bottom 5. Of course it is still better than 99% of all other film music, but that doesn't say that much seeing most film music is pretty bad, especially this year. It has its moments though.
  10. Really? It's my favorite Spielberg/Williams score since War Horse (and I do like Lincoln).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2017
    Washu wrote
    The Post - John Williams

Yet another weak Williams score, it has to be one of his weakest of this century, certainly bottom 5. Of course it is still better than 99% of all other film music, but that doesn't say that much seeing most film music is pretty bad, especially this year. It has its moments though.

It's easily one of the best scores of the year. And I actually prefer it over The Last Jedi!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. So do I, I think. And it is one of this year's very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2017 edited
    Me three. I'm even tempted to say it's Williams' second best score (after WAR HORSE) since the golden year of 2005.

Washu, GOOD TIME also features on my Top 10 list of the year, in a year that was rather meager on good electronic scores (I think I have three on my Top 10).
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Justice League. The more I play this, the more tempted I am to beat up anyone I find insisting Zimmer's superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2017
    The Post - John Williams

I honestly don't understand what people hear in this.
    Dark burblings in the Nixon/JFK form (which were both better, and even then in my book some of the least enjoyable Williams scores) with an artificial sense of urgency that goes nowhere. Wiliams on auto-pilot, unfortunately.
    It's rather representative of his slump in enjoyable, melodic works in this century; the Star Wars reboot being a VERY marked departure and exceptional return to form.

Everything sounds like unimaginative retreads of old ideas, which wouldn't be so bad if it also didn't all sound just so painfully laborious, with not an ounce of the energy and creativity that made Last Jedi -this year's tour de force by a wide margin- spark. You know you're in trouble when even the jazz tracks are nothing but tired elevator music clichés.
    A tired, throwaway mess. Ugh!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, it's incredibly boring. But I wasn't expecting miracles given the subject.
  13. I don't find this boring at all. I'm not as jubilant as Thor but this certainly works for me. But then I always had a taste for subdued Williams scores like this. Actually the before mentioned JFK is one of my favourite scores by the maestro. Spotify plays the complete album btw but for whatever reason only displays the first 5 cues. (On my PC anyway.)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I don't find this boring at all. I'm not as jubilant as Thor but this certainly works for me. But then I always had a taste for subdued Williams scores like this. Actually the before mentioned JFK is one of my favourite scores by the maestro. Spotify plays the complete album btw but for whatever reason only displays the first 5 cues. (On my PC anyway.)

Volker

Yup. In later years, I've veered further away from the big adventure histrionics, and more into Williams' calmer or more textural scores. I absolutely ADORE scores like NIXON and JFK -- and THE POST -- and will take them every single time over whimsical mess like THE LAST JEDI.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. There's that description as 'whimsical'. I need to check my definition of the word is what the word actually means as I don't hear much whimsy in THE LAST JEDI.
  15. Here on the other hand I find myself in agreement with Alan.
  16. Yeah, the last thing I'd call The Last Jedi is whimsical and I also have to check it in the dictionary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Perhaps the word means something different in English than in Norwegian ('vimsete'), but it connotes a form of 'scatterbrain' that is all over the place, rarely settling into something coherent or something that is rigidly structural. Very few setpieces/mini compositions, which was something Williams excelled at for so many years, but which he has seemingly left behind after the 2005 break.
    I am extremely serious.