• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2018
    Battle of the Sexes - Nicholas Britell

Definitely one of the past year's finest for me. Great main theme and some wonderfully crafted longer cues with a real sense of cinematic flow to them. It's all very effective in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FROZEN (Christophe Beck/various)

I never got this soundtrack untill my interview with Beck a couple of weeks ago. It's really very good -- I like both the orchestral music and the non-Beck-penned songs. Yes, even "Let it Go".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm sure your daughter is all over this movie, James, or is she still too young?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No, she watches it most weeks! And Let it Go is the most-played track on my iPod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RUSH (Hans Zimmer)

One of my Zimmer favourites in the 2010s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2018
    NP: ASKELADDEN: I DOVREGUBBENS HALL (Ginge)

This is a promo just for me. Ginge does not want to release soundtracks or be considered for awards, which is a shame, because he writes this kind of fan-friendly, orchestral adventure music that would be immediately appreciated.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: ASKELADDEN: I DOVREGUBBENS HALL (Ginge)

This is a promo just for me. Ginge does not want to release soundtracks or be considered for awards, which is a shame, because he writes this kind of fan-friendly, orchestral adventure music that would be immediately appreciated.

If this is by Anvik - it's labelled as being the end credits from a film called DEN BRYSOMME MANNEN - then he sounds like an interesting composer to hear. Shame he's against releasing his music.

https://youtu.be/QEJHkMwBBm4
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2018 edited
    Yes, Jan Inge Anvik is his full name. Ginge is his nickname/artist name. He's a brilliant composer -- not only when it comes to big orchestral stuff, but also more electronic or alternative affairs. He's frequently been my top Norwegian composer of the year, and I YEARN to share his works with the IFMCA or others, as I'm 100% certain he would be a fan favourite. Especially stuff like ASKELADDEN -- our big folk tale adventure film last year. But alas...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2018
    He DID, however, release his music for JULEKONGEN [THE CHRISTMAS KING] on an album 3 years ago, which is very rare:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/julekongen/1072322410
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I hate it when composers have that attitude. rolleyes Like, if you're so ashamed of the music that you don't want anyone to listen to it, why bother writing it in the first place?
  3. But people do hear it - in the project it was written for. But it is frustrating not be able to have easy access. Some composers just don't see the reasoning for having their music away from the films, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it has more to do with a certain comfort in "operating out of the shadows", not necessarily that they're ashamed of their own work.

Ginge has background as an electronica artist (the band SubGud) and released several albums back in the 90s. I think he has a somewhat disenfranchised relationship to albums in general. From the same period, he has a somewhat nervous relationship to awards and nominations.

But regardless of his reasoning, I'm nonetheless frustrated because his music is too good to be experienced in the film alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    But people do hear it - in the project it was written for. But it is frustrating not be able to have easy access. Some composers just don't see the reasoning for having their music away from the films, etc.

Eh, I guess, I seem to recall Jerry Goldsmith said similar things, but not to the point of actively blocking score releases. There's a difference. Especially in this day and age of easy digital distribution.
  5. I've heard John Powell say similar things. In one interview he said he couldn't imagine why anyone would want to listen to his music on its own, since it wasn't created for that purpose. But he has been really generous with his fans on facebook lately, posting frequently about Ferdinand and other scores he's written. He may not understand us, but at least he humors us. smile

NP - SO LET US MELT - Jessica Curry

One of the more interesting and captivating scores from 2017.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But people do hear it - in the project it was written for. But it is frustrating not be able to have easy access. Some composers just don't see the reasoning for having their music away from the films, etc.

Eh, I guess, I seem to recall Jerry Goldsmith said similar things, but not to the point of actively blocking score releases. There's a difference. Especially in this day and age of easy digital distribution.

Agreed. It does seem unusual for a composer - who depends upon a wide distribution of their talent in order to get more work - doesn't want as wide a group of people to hear their work as possible. In this particular case, he must be happy with the level of composing work he's getting.
  7. NP: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Benjamin Wallfisch; Hans Zimmer

Science Fiction constitutes the backbone of my score CD collection. So - as a pure collector's item - I wanted this CD to be there. I have listened to the music online two times before. Revisiting it now, I am more impressed by it than I was initially. This might not be the Wallfisch/Zimmer meets Vangelis masterpiece that one might have wished for but it comes close in several cues. Individual moments are outright gorgeous. I'm looking forward to experience the music in context which I will do when the film gets released on BluRay.
    EDIT: As I now think about it, this kind of ambient music has a rich legacy in Science Fiction film, if you consider FORBIDDEN PLANET (Barron), SOLARIS (both Artemjev and Martinez), PLANET OF THE APES, OUTLAND (both Goldsmith), FANTASTIC VOYAGE (Rosenman) or GRAVITY (Price), among others.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Benjamin Wallfisch; Hans Zimmer

Science Fiction constitutes the backbone of my score CD collection. So - as a pure collector's item - I wanted this CD to be there. I have listened to the music online two times before. Revisiting it now, I am more impressed by it than I was initially. This might not be the Wallfisch/Zimmer meets Vangelis masterpiece that one might have wished for but it comes close in several cues. Individual moments are outright gorgeous. I'm looking forward to experience the music in context which I will do when the film gets released on BluRay.
    EDIT: As I now think about it, this kind of ambient music has a rich legacy in Science Fiction film, if you consider FORBIDDEN PLANET (Barron), SOLARIS (both Artemjev and Martinez), PLANET OF THE APES, OUTLAND (both Goldsmith), FANTASTIC VOYAGE (Rosenman) or GRAVITY (Price), among others.

Volker

The score works great in my playlist version (and rather dreadfully in its original presentation). In fact, that was what bumped it from runner-up to my 10th place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2018
    NP: ISHAVSBLOD: DE SISTE SELFANGERNE [SEALERS: ONE LAST HUNT] (Jakop Jannssønn & Ville Langfeldt)

One of my favourite Norwegian scores last year, for a wonderful documentary. Soundtrack unreleased at this point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Brooklyn

Listening to this score after finishing the novel. Its so lovely! Recommended.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LAST VEGAS (Mark Mothersbaugh)

Never seen the movie, but this is one of my favourite Mothersbaugh scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

Never seen the movie, but this is one of my favourite Mothersbaugh scores.

be careful bro, comments like that could get you tarred-and-feathered at ol' Film Score Monthly
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2018 edited
    Really? Why?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Really? Why?

listening to a score without seeing the movie seems to be a cardinal offense there. especially if you disliked the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, gotcha. I think the discontent there is -- rightfully, I would say -- more about those who dismiss a score before they've had a chance to see OR hear it. Just by going on the assignment alone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GREATEST MIRACLE (Mark McKenzie)

A bit too "on-the-nose", religion-wise (I know Mark is a devout Christian), but there's no denying it's beautiful music in and of itself. Similar to the Muslim propaganda movie MUHAMMAD: THE MESSENGER OF GOD by A.R. Rahman. The film seems like pants, but the music is wonderful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PHANTOM THREAD - Jonny Greenwood

This might be his most accomplished score to date. But on a personal level of favoritness, it does not exceed There Will Be Blood (yet?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    PHANTOM THREAD - Jonny Greenwood

This might be his most accomplished score to date. But on a personal level of favoritness, it does not exceed There Will Be Blood (yet?).

It's OK, but for me, THE MASTER is his best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Open Range Michael Kamen

Expansive, emotional western music, the last film score he completed I think. Quite a way to go out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

The best. Nothing but the full score. The Last Jedi is fun, one of the year's best, but it's no substitute for the greatest Star Wars score there will ever be.