• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018
    The Giver - Marco Beltrami

This score has been one of my very favorites from the 2010s since its release. And the movie! So sorely underrated. People thought it was cashing in on the YA dystopia trend when in fact it was based on the story that started it all in the first place. The finale of the movie is one of those goosebump moments like the Ride of the Rohirrim that gives me the chills just thinking about it. Underrated on both counts (film and score).
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018
    Phantom Thread Jonny Greenwood

Really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018
    I've been feeling a lot less enthusiastic or interested in film music lately. I haven't listened to as much of it and have mainly just been touching up on old favorites and finding them not as good as I thought they used to be.

Anyone have any recommendations to revivify things?
  1. That depends. What kind of film music is your favorite kind to listen to?
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    I've just been listening to a lot of Jerry Goldsmith. He always impresses.
  2. Whenever that happens to me I pick a composer where I like what I've heard by them but haven't yet heard enough and do a deep-dive into their back catalogue to get to know them better. I'll give you a jumping off point: Joel McNeely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's natural.

My recommendation when that happens is to leave film music altogether and listen to other types of music. Eventually, the interest will re-surge.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. My experience exactly.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    jb1234 wrote

I'll try some of his stuff! I've always hear how good Goldsmith is, but have only listened to a few of his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VALKYRIEN (Marius Christensen)

This borders on the sound of Gavin Greenaway's B.U.G.S., but is nowhere near that brilliance. Pretty good, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

Good stuff.
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    jb1234 wrote

I'll try some of his stuff! I've always hear how good Goldsmith is, but have only listened to a few of his scores.

On second thoughts screw McNeely, Goldsmith is a much better idea for a deep dive! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Searching for Bobby Fischer James Horner

I love this score, but listening to the expanded album as I write a review I suspect that those who discover it for the first time in that form are less likely to be as impressed. The musical architecture of the original album - completely out of film order - is so much stronger.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Aidabaida wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

Good stuff.

Excellent choice.
  5. Southall wrote

I love this score, but listening to the expanded album as I write a review I suspect that those who discover it for the first time in that form are less likely to be as impressed. The musical architecture of the original album - completely out of film order - is so much stronger.

Interesting. I passed on the expanded release, though I love the score. I do think the original album presentation is strong.

NP - CELLO - Randy Kerber

This is really really nice. I was totally unaware of it until it started popping up on some best of 2017 lists over at Filmtracks. It's a dark horse contender for my top ten, now. It's very fine. If the first track doesn't hook you, I don't know what will. It's just lovely.
  6. Southall wrote

Now playing. It's a nice score but not one of my favourites. I only have the expanded album and I never saw the film. I tried to extract the original album sequencing from the expansion this time.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2018
    Jerry Goldsmith - Lionheart

More good stuff!
  7. Aidabaida wrote

More good stuff!

one of his everbest
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2018
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

More good stuff!

one of his everbest

yeah that was good stuff. Right now I'm trying out Timeline
  8. Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

Now playing. It's a nice score but not one of my favourites. I only have the expanded album and I never saw the film. I tried to extract the original album sequencing from the expansion this time.

Volker

Spotify has the original programming.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Aidabaida wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

More good stuff!

one of his everbest

yeah that was good stuff. Right now I'm trying out Timeline

Timeline of Goldsmith shows it should never have been rejected. That massive action cue is just amazing. Then again I kinda digged Tyler's replacement score. Ah the movie wasn't worth the 2 anyway
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. NP: How to Train Your Padawan ... er... Dragon (2010) - John Powell

I'm so stoked for Powell collaborating with Williams on Solo.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: How to Train Your Padawan ... er... Dragon (2010) - John Powell

I'm so stoked for Powell collaborating with Williams on Solo.

smile Volker

The Dragon scores are absolutely unbelievable. I remember the first time I listened to "Forbidden Friendship." I was in the car with the score playing on the stereo, having a conversation. That song came on and a few minutes in I suddenly stopped talking and turned up the music and said, "Wait, I want to hear this." It was and is just so unbelievably crystalline and finely textured. What a great score.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018
    Bulworth - Ennio Morricone

Listening through Suite 1, it's hard not to smile at how deliberately it's trying not to sound like "Deborah's Theme" from Once Upon A Time in America. Not that it's a bad thing of course, just some temp trackitis.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  11. Raffaello, il principe della arti - Matteo Curallo

Somebody mentioned this over at Filmtracks and so I checked it out. I'd never heard of Curallo, but man! This score is totally gorgeous. The film is a 3d documentary about the life and works of Rafael. However good the film is it inspired some really beautiful music. Here's my favorite track from the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eci2oUAYLl0
  12. KevinSmith wrote
    Bulworth - Ennio Morricone

Listening through Suite 1, it's hard not to smile at how deliberately it's trying not to sound like "Deborah's Theme" from Once Upon A Time in America. Not that it's a bad thing of course, just some temp trackitis.

It's likely a case of him simply re-using re-done material, which he's done.

'cause Morricone stated in an interview he refuses to listen to temp tracks.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Temp tracks would contradict everything I have ever learned about Morricone's work process.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018
    Bulworth was one of those scores he recorded before the film was shot, I think. One set of variations on the Once Upon a Time in America-style theme (he's used other variations in lots of other scores), one set of variations on an action/suspense theme, then hand those over to the director to do with as he pleases. I've always enjoyed the film and I've always enjoyed the album.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018
    NP: Monte Walsh - John Barry

Listening to this one in preparation for a review. Really some very good stuff here, even if the humorous cowboy music is pretty clichéd (but it's so damn catchy!)

The main theme is really nice (I like the song version, too - it's infectious) and both the expansive western music and the Bond-esque action track towards the end are seriously good.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018
    Atlas Shrugged - Elia Cmrial

one of the most underrated scores ever, imo. I've never once seen it talked about. the john galt theme is so beautiful and melancholy.

I remember when I first saw the movie. I knew nothing about Rand and her work and going into it thought Galt was the villain, which made a very interesting and morally complex movie to me, because the government regulators didn't seem to be any good either. I thought the characters were trapped between evil capitalists and evil bureaucrats alike. Only later when I did research did I realized Rand intended the maniacal Galt to be admirable! Haha!