• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018
    SW: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

Haven't listened to this in ages. It's very engaging, significantly more so than The Last Jedi.
  1. NP: Ghost in the Shell (2017) - Lorne Balfe

Digital Promo
    Balfe came in late in the production. Clint Mansell is credited as the main composer whereas Balfe is credited for additional music. Anyhow he evidently produced an electronic score for the entire film for the editors to choose from. What I am listening to now is first class electronic music. I like it far better than what I seem to remember from the actual film. But honestly I would have to revisit the film to determine what of the soundtrack is actually Balfe and what isn't.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I've been listening to a 35 minute suite of Goldsmith's Lionheart I found a LOT. It is such excellent, excellent music! I have a movie in my head, and I wonder how it compares to the real one.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ghost in the Shell (2017) - Lorne Balfe

Digital Promo
    Balfe came in late in the production. Clint Mansell is credited as the main composer whereas Balfe is credited for additional music. Anyhow he evidently produced an electronic score for the entire film for the editors to choose from. What I am listening to now is first class electronic music. I like it far better than what I seem to remember from the actual film. But honestly I would have to revisit the film to determine what of the soundtrack is actually Balfe and what isn't.

Volker

Balfe's material is OK, but Mansell's material is far superior (if you've seen the film, you basically just need to substract what you hear in Balfe's promo, and you're more or less left with Mansell's). Crossing my fingers that Mansell's music will also be released some day.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. @ Aidabaida
    I never saw the film but Goldsmith's music is fantastic. (Including the electronic elements IMO.) I own the single CD edition from 1994. I need to revisit that score.

Volker
  3. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ghost in the Shell (2017) - Lorne Balfe

Digital Promo

Volker

Balfe's material is OK, but Mansell's material is far superior (if you've seen the film, you basically just need to substract what you hear in Balfe's promo, and you're more or less left with Mansell's). Crossing my fingers that Mansell's music will also be released some day.

For me it's the other way around. But I too would love to appreciate Mansell's music on its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    @ Aidabaida
    I never saw the film but Goldsmith's music is fantastic. (Including the electronic elements IMO.) I own the single CD edition from 1994. I need to revisit that score.

Volker

I’m desperately awaiting a proper rerelease on this one - it is THE Goldsmith score that is the most deserving of it right now, I think. And I don’t own any version yet, holding out for it, but I’ve heard enough to know it’s brilliant.
  4. Goldsmith's music I meant to say. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018 edited
    Check, edited your quote in my post as well! Now nobody will ever know! (Well, if it weren’t for your own mentioning it-post, that is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AMERICAN BEAUTY - Thomas Newman

Amazing to think this score is almost twenty years old. And yet it still sounds so fresh. It wasn’t the first to demonstrate Newman’s trademarks but it was the one that got him noticed by the masses. It’s just a fantastic collection of everything he excels at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018 edited
    I've been a fan of Goldsmith's Lionheart from the start. I bought Volume 1 on vinyl when it came out (with massive, interesting notes on a single LP cover sized sheet) and listened to it until my ears bled. I got Volume Two on CD directly and never regretted getting Vol 1 on CD as well, later. It's a truly magnificent score with loads of different themes, and although the electronic parts tend to drive away some fans, I don't mind them at all. It's a brilliant score from start to finish. Not a single bad track on it.

Years later, I saw the movie.

Don't make the same mistake.

Just go on imagining the most fantastical, magical medieval journey in your mind, with lush countrysides, epic battles, great villains, and noble heroes while you listen to the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018
    Yeah, fine score. Never had any of that Vol. 1 or 2 shit. Just bought the album that said "Jerry Goldsmith's LIONHEART: The Epic Symphonic Score".

While not every track is equally strong, "Mathilda" is a brilliant setpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018 edited
    I've also been enjoying Morricone's "Untouchables". Some fantastic action music, and heart-rending saxophone. After I watched the movie and looked it up online, I was surprised to see just how controversial it and the score were. I loved both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Controversial?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Alan Silvestri

The 11 minutes suite found on the Varese Screen Themes compilation. Possibly Intrada has a 3 CD set of this score in the pipeline. While this is gorgeous music I just don't seem to be able to warm up to such megalomania 3 CD sets.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought that was your thing?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The score proper on two CDs, yes. There is a limit to everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bicentennial Man - James Horner

I understand why people have a problem with this. But wow, it's so beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Yup. Gorgeous!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018
    Thor wrote
    Controversial?

a great many people calling the score distracting and the movie laughable. I would've thought both would have been viewed as classics, but the opinion was split evenly between terrible and masterpiece in every forum and thread I could find.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Southall wrote

Ooh, do I sense an entry in the Horner Review Odyssey?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote
    Controversial?

a great many people calling the score distracting and the movie laughable. I would've thought both would have been viewed as classics, but the opinion was split evenly between terrible and masterpiece in every forum and thread I could find.

Personally, I've never seen much else than praise for this film and score (deservedly so), in forums, among colleagues or otherwise. But there will always be naysayers for anything, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, fine score. Never had any of that Vol. 1 or 2 shit. Just bought the album that said "Jerry Goldsmith's LIONHEART: The Epic Symphonic Score".

While not every track is equally strong, "Mathilda" is a brilliant setpiece.

I agree with you about "Mathilda". I remember listening to the score for the first time, already in love with it because of all those beautiful themes, then "Mathilda" starts, and I just went mad. "Another one?!" This score has more themes than actors in it. Okay, maybe not. But it certainly feels that way. And then of course it closes with "King Richard", and I thought I was gonna die from being Goldsmithed.

If you got the Epic Score CD, you're just short of four tracks.
    "Gates of Paris" is just beautiful splendor in best Goldsmith tradition.
    "The Plague" is a nice mix of dark and light, but not much that's not already been there.
    "Bring Him Back" is probably the least needed, but still a very nice, quiet lead-up to Vol. 2's final track,
    "The Future", which is a quiet and short, beautiful statement of the main theme in a classical "final moments of the movie" style, before leading into the full blown main theme again (same version as in "King Richard").

So I guess the only thing of some worth to you, Thor (as a non-completist), would be "Gates of Paris" and "The Plague", but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine without them. ^^

BTW, there seems to be some "version" of the movie on youtube, called Lionheart 1987. Just watch the main titles and you'll know all that's wrong about this thing. It seems that the movie has been cut to pieces by the studio after the score had been recorded and attached.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Sorry for being away again guys but I had an enormous number of things to do before the wedding. By the way thank you all for your well wishes in the "Remember me" thread!
    When I travel I always follow the mood of the city I’m visiting. So right now I lean towards the biblical as well as the stories I’ve heard and watched... When in Rome...

NP: Angels and Demons~ Hans Zimmer
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2018
    I've been listening to a very extensive Desplat Spotify playlist I came up with (eight hours). Right now, it's playing selections from The Golden Compass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    jb1234 wrote
    I've been listening to a very extensive Desplat Spotify playlist I came up with (eight hours).

Lord, have mercy on your soul.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm not a big fan of Junkie XL, yet his "Brothers in Arms" from Fury Road is one of the more interesting of the power anthems of late; I especially like how the brass chords when they arrive are the same progression as La La Land's "Another Day of Sun" so I can hum along with a completely unintended, anachronistic melody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Glorious cue from a glorious score! Then again, unlike you I'm a HUGE fan and think he's one of the best composers around at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. To me it's head ache inducing. crazy
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018
    Thor wrote
    jb1234 wrote
    I've been listening to a very extensive Desplat Spotify playlist I came up with (eight hours).

Lord, have mercy on your soul.

I don't have to worry about that. I've been in heaven ever since I started the playlist!