• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    To me it's head ache inducing. crazy

I think it elevates the movie to a frakkin' 11.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018 edited
    For the field archaeologist, there are several advantages to report writing, two of them being getting to sit inside while my colleagues are out in the cold ( biggrin ) and being able to listen to film music while writing!

NP: The Last Valley - John Barry
    Floors me every time! Comparisons with The Lion in Winter are inevitable, and I know many have that score above The Last Valley on a list of Barry's best. However, I actually prefer The Last Valley by a small margin. Wonderful main theme, gorgeous choral writing - and then there's the theme for the valley itself! So achingly beautiful.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I think the exact same style of score in the hands of a competent composer would have elevated it to a 12 or 13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I think the exact same style of score in the hands of a competent composer would have elevated it to a 12 or 13.

competent? Holkenborg is definitely competent. Actually that's what I dislike about most of his music: he sticks to the playbook. Competence is boring.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2018
    The Rendezvous Austin Wintory

Really enjoyable action/adventure score, by far the most "conventional" thing I've heard him do.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2018
    Southall wrote

Really enjoyable action/adventure score, by far the most "conventional" thing I've heard him do.
    '

Even being conventional by his standards, it still sounds incredibly fresh, like nothing else I've heard in the genre. I especially liked hearing his action music.
  2. jb1234 wrote
    Southall wrote

'

Even being conventional by his standards, it still sounds incredibly fresh, like nothing else I've heard in the genre.

Precisely what I thought. Wintory is different in a good way.

NP - SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING - Giacchino

This has one of the most memorable marvel themes yet, and it has several other themes besides that one. Not bad.
  3. Mogens wrote
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry
    Floors me every time!

One of my absolute favourites, always somewhere within the personal Top 100 you're never really sure about.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I'd like to hear it, but somehow it doesn't exist, so I just decide to be very happy with this +1 score, instead of being unhappy about a non-existent +2/+3 score. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2018
    jb1234 wrote
    Southall wrote

'

Even being conventional by his standards, it still sounds incredibly fresh, like nothing else I've heard in the genre. I especially liked hearing his action music.

'Conventional' isn't necessarily a complimentary term.

Personally I've never warmed to Wintory in any shape or form.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2018
    I've been enjoying Howard Shore's Cosmopolis score though I have not seen the movie. I plan to read the book soon, as I like DeLillo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2018 edited
    NP: MAYHEM (Steve Moore)

One of my favourite scores last year (and favourite movies, for that matter), but the album is much too long at 70 minutes. Need to whittle it down.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Cosmopolis is a good score.

I just relistening to Good Time and Blade Runner 2049, both scores made my top 10 of the year and have grown on me. I still don't love either score but I like them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote
    I just relistening to Good Time and Blade Runner 2049, both scores made my top 10 of the year and have grown on me. I still don't love either score but I like them.

Both made my Top 10 too! But I agree -- neither would have made my top 10 in any other year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP:STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Just glorious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2018
    Patrick Doyle's "The Wedding Night" from Frankenstein is some of the finest writing for strings I've ever heard. Sorely underrated!
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    Patrick Doyle's "The Wedding Night" from Frankenstein is some of the finest writing for strings I've ever heard. Sorely underrated!

I absolutely LOVE that piece. Fantastic stuff.

Speaking of good Patrick Doyle cues...

NP: "Justice" from MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
  6. Aidabaida wrote

Now I had to look it up and listen to it. It is a beautiful piece. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, the piece is fine (as well as a couple of other tracks), but I can't even get through that score. I sold it many years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (Ennio Morricone)

I've basically only played new scores in the last few months, but it's good to play one of one's old albums once in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, the piece is fine (as well as a couple of other tracks), but I can't even get through that score. I sold it many years ago.

you sold it? most likely that's why you can't get through it! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2018
    NP: 12 Strong - Lorne Balfe

Oh dear.
  7. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bicentennial Man - James Horner

I understand why people have a problem with this. But wow, it's so beautiful.

Yup. Gorgeous!

True - but I SO always want it to turn into the Braveheart theme, but it never does! Haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2018
    Robin Hood: POT The K-Man

Solid gold.
  8. Notre Dame de Paris - Maurice Jarre

The Tadlow 2 CD compilation. New in my Collection. I already had the "Lawrence" album with accompanying compilation. This is the sister set. Fantastic music, marvellously recorded.

Volker
  9. Mogens wrote
    NP: 12 Strong - Lorne Balfe

Oh dear.

oh dear indeed
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2018 edited
    The Shape of Water is a terrific score, but for me lacks the melancholia and heartbreaking passion of Pan's Labyrinth, substituting instead a sort of Disney sickly-sweetness that I do not find entirely convincing...

I guess it's disappointing: there just hasn't been a truly GREAT score for a while that I've really felt thrilled to listen to. A Ghost Story remains my favorite of the year, but that's mostly because of how much I loved the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2018 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    The Shape of Water is a terrific score, but for me lacks the melancholia and heartbreaking passion of Pan's Labyrinth, substituting instead a sort of Disney sickly-sweetness that I do not find entirely convincing...

Haven't seen the film yet, so I can't comment on its appropriateness in the film, but I concur that it's such a shame Del Toro didn't keep Javier Navarrete as his go-to composer. El Laberinto del Fauno is a musical masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2018
    RP: Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

I just played this in the car on my way to work. This is one of those scores that has absolutely no problem drowning out the engine and road noise!

And I have to say, this is one score that's aged quite well. I always liked it, but lately I've come to appreciate it even more. Maybe it's just because I miss Goldsmith, I don't know.

But damn, this is one exciting score (and, as James writes in his review from back in the day: it's loud!). "The Hijacking" is one of my favourite action cues from the last part of Goldsmith's career. Just as you think it can't get any more exciting, Goldsmith ramps up the tension. My God, that man could write action music!

Great, dynamic start to the day! biggrin

(And yeah, I know the Orange Menace in the White House appropriated the theme for his campaign, but **** that self-serving bastard! Thankfully, it does nothing to my appreciation of the score.)
  10. NP: Robin Hood The Prince of Thieves (1991) - Michael Kamen

The expanded album sounds marvellous. What a great release! Someone over at FSM got totally worked up about the fact that the songs are missing for licensing reasons. What a luxury problem when those song are so easily and cheaply obtainable.

Volker