• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Evelyn - Stephen Endelman

A sweet, relaxing score with an Irish-flare, beautiful guitar, violin and flute solos. I don't have a lot by Stephen Endelman, but happy to have this one.
  2. NP: Damnation Alley (1977) - Jerry Goldsmith

I was largely unfamiliar with the music and never did I see the movie. So this was sort of a blind buy. But then it's science fiction and it's Goldsmith, so there you go. It's one of these dense, complex, incredible scores, that Goldsmith did during the 70s. As "Outland" or "Planet of the Apes", this score doesn't shine with melodic beauty but with sheer intellectual brilliance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Currently listening to score from a video game called "The Darkness", composed by Gustaf Grefberg. I've never heard it before. I don't like the electric guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZsQfVMe28
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2018
    NP: SILICON COWBOYS (Ian Hultquist)

One of my favourite scores from 2016. Superb electronic stuff. Hultquist has never been able to top it since.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2018
    Mogens wrote
    RP: Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

(And yeah, I know the Orange Menace in the White House appropriated the theme for his campaign, but **** that self-serving bastard! Thankfully, it does nothing to my appreciation of the score.)

Actually, for that reason I haven’t been able to bring myself to listen to it since that election. But I’m listening to it now and it’s great.
  4. NP: The Postman (1997) - James Newton Howard

One of my favourite scores by this composer.

Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Postman (1997) - James Newton Howard

One of my favourite scores by this composer.

Volker

and a score that makes the movie ten times better. It soars in Costner's film. Therefore I like the film a lot too. smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2018
    Southall wrote
    Mogens wrote
    RP: Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

(And yeah, I know the Orange Menace in the White House appropriated the theme for his campaign, but **** that self-serving bastard! Thankfully, it does nothing to my appreciation of the score.)

Actually, for that reason I haven’t been able to bring myself to listen to it since that election. But I’m listening to it now and it’s great.

It is, isn't it? I miss Jerry Goldsmith.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    For all my reservations about The Shape of Water score, the mammoth action track, "The Escape" is a juggernaut. Nice work, Desplat.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  6. That’s my least favorite track on the album. I like all the twinkly stuff. smile i would have rated the album quite a bit better if that track weren’t on it.
  7. I think it adds a whole dimension to the score that it would otherwise lack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    christopher wrote
    That’s my least favorite track on the album. I like all the twinkly stuff. smile i would have rated the album quite a bit better if that track weren’t on it.

biggrin

of course
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Empire Strikes Back Johnny Williams

The Charles Gerhardt album. Maybe the most perfect film music album ever released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2018
    Difficult to argue with that. When you’re in the right mood and ready for it, that album is just an absolute joy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Empire Strikes Back Johnny Williams

The Charles Gerhardt album. Maybe the most perfect film music album ever released.

I can’t agree. While is does have one of the three commercially available performances of the Han and the Princess concert suite the rest leaves a lot to be desired.

I’m not a fan of some of the edits to the music and the brass were pitchy and made a lot of mistakes. Jedi, IMO, is Gerhardt’s best Star Wars album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Empire of the Sun John Williams

Not a favourite at all, even though it contains one of his most beautiful themes. A bit like Hook, it suffers from having those fantastic concert suites on the Williams/Spielberg albums - I much prefer those three tracks to the actual score album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    Southall wrote
    Empire of the Sun John Williams

Not a favourite at all, even though it contains one of his most beautiful themes. A bit like Hook, it suffers from having those fantastic concert suites on the Williams/Spielberg albums - I much prefer those three tracks to the actual score album.

One of JW's alltime best scores. Probably Top 10.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    Shuffling my library and "Safe Passage" from The Last Samurai comes on... I MISS THE OLD ZIMMER. If only that type of soaring music was over the end of Dunkirk instead of weird drugged-out Elgar slosh.
  8. "The Ivories of Beasts" from TOOTH AND TAIL by Austin Wintory

This particular piece is composed by Salome Scheidegger after being given a basic melody by Wintory. It is an incredible piano piece. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcg52Qzhy8
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018
    NP: MAP TO THE STARS (Howard Shore)

One of my favourite Shore scores, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    The Cloverfield Paradox - Bear McCreary

Strong beginning and ending, somewhat saggy middle (which was also an issue with 10 Cloverfield Lane). Still, some of the best action music I've heard from the composer is in this score.

(The movie is to be dodged at all costs.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    jb1234 wrote
    The Cloverfield Paradox - Bear McCreary

Strong beginning and ending, somewhat saggy middle (which was also an issue with 10 Cloverfield Lane). Still, some of the best action music I've heard from the composer is in this score.

(The movie is to be dodged at all costs.)

even if I'm a huge fan of the Cloververse, loved the first two movies.... still not worth it? I'm still interested...
  9. Given that the "Cloververse" seems to be nothing more than "let's put a bunch of random, otherwise unrelated movies under an arbitrary umbrella", I see no reason why the quality shouldn't vary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Given that the "Cloververse" seems to be nothing more than "let's put a bunch of random, otherwise unrelated movies under an arbitrary umbrella", I see no reason why the quality shouldn't vary.

that's not entirely true... if you look up the alternate-reality websites that Abrams and team have put up, and the string of internet scavenger hunt clues, and how other secret stories are worked into easter eggs inside the movies, and so on (there's a lot of fun videos on YouTube), it's pretty clear that they might start by taking an unrelated script, but they do a lot to connect them and to work in the secret story of Tagruato company etc. Fun stuff, and it's incredible the amount of work they've done for the "Real life" side of the cloververse.

I'm pretty interested, but like I said, I've heard bad things about this new movie. Still the marketing idea is absolutely incredible. Announce then drop a movie on the same day?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018 edited
    Victoria & Abdul - Thomas Newman

Nothing new for Newman this, but it is still a solid score that made my top 20 of the year. I prefer this over the other Indian flavored score of 2017 - A.R Rahman's Viceroy's House which isn't as classy as Newman's superior score. I will only keep the End Title from this for my Newman playlist though.

The Post - John Williams

Not a big fan of this even if it made my top 20 of 2017. I like moments here and there of it, particularly the highlight track The Presses Roll, but otherwise it is fairly dull and insubstantial.

Jurassic Park - John Williams

This may be Williams's strongest score of the 1990s. I certainly prefer it over the fine but overrated Schindler's List.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018 edited
    Washu wrote
    Victoria & Abdul - Thomas Newman

Nothing new for Newman this, but it is still a solid score that made my top 20 of the year. I prefer this over the other Indian flavored score of 2017 - A.R Rahman's Viceroy's House which isn't as classy as Newman's superior score. I will only keep the End Title from this for my Newman playlist though.

It was decent, but I vastly preferred VICEROY'S HOUSE, which was my Top 5.

The Post - John Williams

Not a big fan of this even if it made my top 20 of 2017. I like moments here and there of it, particularly the highlight track The Presses Roll, but otherwise it is fairly dull and insubstantial.

His best score since WAR HORSE. Fantastic score. My Top 3.

Jurassic Park - John Williams

This may be Williams's strongest score of the 1990s. I certainly prefer it over the fine but overrated Schindler's List.

Not only is it his strongest score of the 90s. It's his strongest score ever, and -- as it happens -- also the greatest score ever written.

So basically, I disagree with everything you said. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018 edited
    I don't find The Post particularly compelling as a standalone listen but I very much want to see the movie so I can judge it in context (which I'm sure it's fabulous in, as Williams almost always is).

even if I'm a huge fan of the Cloververse, loved the first two movies.... still not worth it? I'm still interested...

It's a lousy movie, ripped to shreds by both fans and critics. The script is almost entirely to blame. It doesn't care enough about developing the characters and weird stuff happens just for the sake of it (without explanation). I actually ended up quite bored about halfway through. That said, the rest of the production is actually quite good. They got a good cast, the direction is fine and the visual effects are cool at times. And of course, Bear's score. If you're committed to the franchise, you might as well give it a shot. Just go in with low expectations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    I think it's great as a standalone listen, but utterly brilliant in the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    NP: The Cloverfield Paradox - Bear McCreary

This is really quite good! Haven't seen the film, but even though it's been lambasted by critics (and above), I'll probably end up watching it anyway.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  10. NP: A Passage to India (1984) - Maurice Jarre

I'm sort of re-discovering Jarre. I never had that much love for the composer but that seems to be changing right now.

Volker