• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    The Cloverfield Paradox - Bear McCreary

The album is far too long, but there’s a fine score in here. Highly recommend trimming it down to:

Overture
    Ava And Michael
    Converging Overload
    Airlock 6
    A Message For Ava
    Magno-Putty
    Spacewalk
    A Stable Beam
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Total length 40:05
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2018
    Anthony wrote

The album is far too long, but there’s a fine score in here. Highly recommend trimming it down to:

Overture
    Ava And Michael
    Converging Overload
    Airlock 6
    A Message For Ava
    Magno-Putty
    Spacewalk
    A Stable Beam
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Total length 40:05

I'd also throw in Cassiopeia and especially the big action finale, Launch Sequence. But yeah, the rest of the suspense cues can be safely jettisoned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VIDEOMAN (Robert Parker & Waveshaper)

I dig this retro 2018 score! Volker, you should check it out on Spotify. I think you'll like it, given your taste in electronic music.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Yeah! Very retro. Faltermayer, Italian synth pop ... Wouldn't want to listen to this kind of stuff all too often but once in a while it's fun.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991) - Michael Kamen

The original album already gives a very good representation of the score. But even as the the playlist I made from the expansion (adding the songs) runs for two hours I don't tire to listen to it. The recording is somewhat dry and subdued as if recorded with a rather small ensemble. But this actually befits the more source-like medieval material.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (Lesley Barber/various)

One of my favourite scores from 2016.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: The Three Musketeers (1993) - Michael Kamen

Sort of a follow up assignment for Kamen. By direct comparison I like the sound of this recording better.
  4. NP: Cyrano der Bergerac (1990) - Jean-Claude Petit

A gorgeous lavish score with Elfman's theme from Batman a little awkwardly crammed in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: VIDEOMAN (Robert Parker & Waveshaper)

I dig this retro 2018 score!

That one was OK I thought, but on the generic side of things. But given the slow start of the year, it is probably the best electronic film score of the year so far.

Meh, not a big fan of either McCreary or the Cloverfield scores. This one was pretty grating in parts with excessive string ostinati and annoying suspense writing.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

A pretty good score this, but not one of Williams's best. Seven Years in Tibet was Williams's best score of 1997, not this or Amistad imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote
    That one was OK I thought, but on the generic side of things. But given the slow start of the year, it is probably the best electronic film score of the year so far.

It's definitely a 'pastiche' (deliberately so), but it's not generic. It's actually quite rare that contemporary artists nail this particular sound so well, so it's very sophisticated. As I've said before, I would be very surprised if this doesn't end up on my Top 3 when the year is over.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2018
    Washu wrote

A pretty good score this, but not one of Williams's best.

My hunch is you're in the minority on that one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote I would be very surprised if this doesn't end up on my Top 3 when the year is over

Wow. I liked it a bit but no way near that much.
    Steven wrote
    Washu wrote

A pretty good score this, but not one of Williams's best.

My hunch is you're in the minority on that one...

Is it supposed to be one of his best you say? :O I wouldn't put it in his top 20 that's for sure. The first Jurassic Park score would have easily made my top 20.

Now listening:

The Mercy - Jóhann Jóhannsson

Meh, not a fan of this, a signficant part of the album are taken from old film cues too which is kind of annoying. This may be Jóhannsson's weakest score to date in fact. Not a big fan of this more "traditional" side of Jóhannsson either to be honest, while The Theory of Everything was OK, it is really projects like Sicario and Arrival where Jóhannsson true talents lie even if I didn't love either of those scores, especially not Arrival.

Sicario - Jóhann Jóhannsson

Much better, this is Jóhannsson's best Hollywood score. It is not great, but it is good. Some of the tracks drone on for a bit too much for me though so the album could use some trimming.

Edit: Not sure what I did with my post, what a mess, but I am going to let it go this time, can't be bothered to correct it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Three Musketeers (1993) - Michael Kamen

Sort of a follow up assignment for Kamen. By direct comparison I like the sound of this recording better.

Robin Hood was recorded by Robert Fernandez. The Three Musketeers was recorded by the brilliant Stephen McLaughlin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Washu wrote

A pretty good score this, but not one of Williams's best. Seven Years in Tibet was Williams's best score of 1997, not this or Amistad imo.

IMO, it's one of the finest pure action scores ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lost World is far superior to Jurassic Park, discounting the main theme.
  5. NP: DUNE (1984) - Toto

Certainly my favourite rock-symphonic film score.

Volker
  6. Hmm, Zimmer has done several that are better I'd say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Luke The Rock for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I prefer KULL THE CONQUEROR when it comes down to rock-symphonic scores!

-Erik-
  7. Ooh yeah that's a good one too. And Debney's Scorpion King.
  8. But non of these take me to Arrakis. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2018 edited
    Selection of Daniel Pemberton scores

He has written so many good scores, many of which have a very distinct sound. King Arthur mus be one of his better, unfortunately the cd is too long, but there are so many cool tracks like Growing Up Londinium or the opening piece. Also Gold is an absolute fun score, with catchy pieces and some quircky elements. My absolute favourite is Steve Jobs, with the highlight pieces Revenge and the electronic pieces.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2018
    My own James Bond mix. All Bond composers are included though it’ll surprise no one here who knows me that it is John Barry heavy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Did you include Michel Legrand, as Never Say Never Again was no EON production?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    N
    Captain Future wrote
    Did you include Michel Legrand, as Never Say Never Again was no EON production?

Volker
    No. No Legrand or Bacharach. I love the Bacharach score and I could have included some I guess, I even like some of Legrand’s score. I just let Otto ‘official’ Bond.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not easy tying from phone
  10. Especially your shoes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2018
    NP: MCCANICK (Jóhann Jóhannsson)

sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2018
    NP: FREE WILLY 3: THE RESCUE - Cliff Eidelman

Well, this is just lovely.
  11. NP: 12 Strong - Lorne Balfe

There's far too much ambient scoring on this long album for this score to be a particularly enjoyable listen. When the action scoring kicks in it's much better - the dynamic propulsive drive of these pieces are almost worth listening through the rest. Almost.

Hoping that there's some sort of pay-off at the end for sticking with this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn