• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2018
    I'm all for action sequences, of course, but the trick would be to let them be upbeat 'highlight' moments inbetween calmer material; to balance the two so that it's not just endless tracks of bombastic onslaught. That's the tricky part.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    No. I presume the existing playlists are heavier on the action material?

I think Christopher's hits the right balance, in terms of action vs. quieter material. It also chops out most of the hip-hop influences (which I found incredibly irritating).

(I have grown to like Erik's a fair amount too, if I want to hear more action.)
  1. played earlier: Merlin (1998) - Trevor Jones

NP: The Mists of Avalon (2001) - Lee Holdridge

Two awesome TV scores that wonderfully depict the Age of Magic.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2018 edited
    NP: Oldboy (2003) - Yeong-wook Jo

A great score for a great (but disturbing) movie! I highly recommend!
  2. Played earlier: Crocodile Dundee (1986) - Beter Best

Long time no listen. Among the first scores I bought on CD. A playful pop score that perfectly supports the film and is still nice to listen to. It occurred to me that there is certain "body study" of Linda Kozlowsky that wouldn't find its way into the film in today's enlightened times. And that would be a pity. smile

NP: Young Sherlock Holmes (1984) - Bruce Broughton

Just excellent!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2018
    RED SPARROW - James Newton Howard

Well this is a completely unexpected delight.
  3. NP: The Silence of the Lambs - Howard Shore

I've been eagerly waiting for this one to drop through the letterbox since it was announced that there was to be an expanded release of this excellent early-ish Shore score.

And, although a lot of what is extra (there's about 10-15 minutes extra (excluding a few alternates)) extends the feel of the original score, the main reason for getting this is that the tracks on the original that were cut-and-pasted for 'improved' listening have been restored to their original form from the movie (I know the music on this quite well and it always annoyed me that some of the key passages were mixed up and moved around). "Lecter Escapes" now sounds the way it should be - and included a middle passage that adds to the tension.

I don't notice too much of a difference in the sound quality of this new release compared with the original but it's certainly an album to recommend.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2018 edited
    BobdH wrote

Well this is a completely unexpected delight.

Heard half an hour of the score last night before going to bed just to get a taster (randomly selected tracks like Overture and End Credits which are wonderfully lengthy suites), and I’m now sampling an additional track on my way to work, but even though it’s a long release (76 minutes), I cannot wait to take in the whole thing tonight. This is such a great surprise. And I admit to fearing it would’ve been regular James Newton Howard in bleak thriller mode with a modern touch. It’s not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: RED SPARROW - James Newton Howard

Well, this certainly is unexpected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Another "hot potato" score to check out, apparently. The last one didn't impress me much (BLACK PANTHER), so hopefully this does. JNH usually delivers.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Another "hot potato" score to check out, apparently. The last one didn't impress me much (BLACK PANTHER), so hopefully this does. JNH usually delivers.

Is it a 'hot potato' on the scale of BLACK PANTHER? There's certainly enthusiasm to hear a new JNH but I haven't heard as much inflated enthusiasm as I read for BLACK PANTHER.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True. But seems like it's beginning to get a lot of buzz, at least.

I've listened to it now, and while there are a couple of outstanding cues (especially in the beginning and towards the end), overall it didn't do much for me.

I like his ROMAN J. ISRAEL, ESQ. from last year more (overall), I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The three lengthy 'suite' cues are the only ones worth keeping. Such a shame the rest of the score doesn't keep that tone -- they're superb.

The album begins so auspiciously, but once that overture ends, it's familiar JNH-thriller territory (until the end).

Can't complain too much though, that's almost 30 minutes of great film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    So I really just happen to have heard the exact right 30 minutes? Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's pretty cool. 3 cues, totalling 30 minutes, and you have a smokin' album. What an idea! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Haha, yeah, but I was hoping there’d be more to savor. But I haven’t heard Didn’t I Do Well? yet, so there’s still room for expansion. Also compiled a playlist of all the lengthier cues which totals 54 minutes and that seems a proper length for this score, going from what I’ve heard yet and what I’m hearing about the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Trying to put together a list of some of my favourite songs that have appeared in films and television and I always come back to David Arnold's song "No Good About Goodbye".

It could have been one of my favourite Bond songs had things gone differently but, as well as liking the Shirley Bassey version, I also like Arnold's own version:

https://youtu.be/4suflTMvakM
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2018 edited

So I did indeed pick out exactly those tracks that made Red Sparrow sound like a symphonic spy-thriller score from yesteryear - even when I picked a track or two in the bus on my way to work I happened to select those that were in that vein. So when I sat down to listen to the whole thing I was introduced to that other side of the score - the one that was I fearing to get from the get go, the modern thriller mode of JNH with electronics and tracks leading nowhere.

However, there's enough material to distill from it that old fashioned spy-score, the 'symphonic' tracks that stem from the characters background in ballet and give the score that classical quality, mixed with some shorter more quiet orchestral tracks that emphasise the old-fashioned, almost Bernard Herrmannian nature, give a bit more color, or are needed for the flow and transitions in mood.

This playlist focusses on the orchestral parts and mostly eschew the electronic elements:

1. Overture (11:34)
    2. Arriving at Sparrow School (2:50)
    3. There's a car waiting to take you to Moscow (1:49)
    4. Follow the trail wherever it leads (2:29)
    5. Blonde suits you (4:59)
    6. Ticket to Vienna (1:45)
    7. Can I trust you? (3:06)
    8. So what next? (3:45)
    9. Didn't I do well? (8:48)
    10. End titles (9:30)

Total time: 51 minutes
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2018
    I enjoyed my first listen but, as you’ve demonstrated, it can definitely be condensed. However, despite the highlights being really well constructed pieces I don’t think it has that much re-listen value. I haven’t seen the film yet but I imagine it works well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BAND OF BROTHERS (Michael Kamen)

One of his best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018 edited
    Death Wish - Ludwig Göransson

Pretty dreadful stuff this, nothing I find worthwhile, not even the best parts of it. I give it 1 star out of 5. I wasn't a big fan of Black Panther at all, but compared to this dreck - it is a masterpiece which tells you how weak this score is.

Red Sparrow - James Newton Howard

One of the best scores of the year so far, I like the Main Titles and End Titles in particular, the rest is OK. I give it a solid 3 stars out of 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018
    The Terminator Brad Fiedel

Arguably the best synth score ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018
    Steven wrote

Urgh. One of the best sound design-type score ever written, perhaps (within the film), but I'd rather brush my teeth with a razor than listen to it on album.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: eXistenZ - Howard Shore

Love the whole feel of this score. It gets under your skin and adds so much to the movie.
  7. NP: Looking For Richard - Howard Shore

Another excellent score. I believe that this is a good example of a score written to a large extent (if not completely) without picture, with Shore basing the cues on the album on the characters of Richard III - hence the album track titles.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2018
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Urgh. One of the best sound design-type score ever written, perhaps (within the film), but I'd rather brush my teeth with a razor than listen to it on album.

Yeah, I'm with Thor on this one. I do think it works exceptionally well in the film, but except for one or two cues, it's not a pleasant listening experience at all.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2018 edited
    Washu wrote
    Red Sparrow - James Newton Howard

One of the best scores of the year so far, I like the Main Titles and End Titles in particular, the rest is OK. I give it a solid 3 stars out of 5.

The first cue and the two last ones are exceptional. Everything else is a massive disappointment (in the sense that Howard is so much better than this). However, the three exceptional cues amount to about 30 minutes, so would make a great album.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  8. NP: Beyond Silence / Jenseits der Stille (1998) - Niki Reiser

A melancholic playful score, centred on woodwinds and piano. Very nice.

Volker