• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Doing a little Dino der Laurentiis Matinee here:

King Kong (1976) - John Barry (album version)
    Flash Gordon (1980) - Queen
    DUNE (1984) - Toto / Eno (album version)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: DIVE: Starpath - Nick Borrego

Interesting game soundtrack featuring synth ambiance and more propulsive rhythms mixed with more organic sounds (relatively speaking) such as electric guitar. I can imagine myself flying through space in my spaceship.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The Alienist - Rupert Gregson-Williams

I like the sound of this and some of the instrumentation choices and soundscapes are very memorable. But I am struggling to feel much from it. Definitely a conflicting score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: The Mercy - Jóhann Jóhannsson

Not really doing much for me on an album, though there is the occasional track that stands out. It sounds as though it would work better on screen with the composer's music being a support to the on-screen goings on rather than driving the story forward.
  5. OUTLANDER SEASON 3 - Bear McCreary

Of all the TV music McCreary has done, this is probably my favorite series. Good stuff.
  6. NP: The Shape of Water (2017) - Alexandre Desplat

Outstanding. Lots of French sensibilities, subtle instrumentation and superb musical story telling.

Volker
  7. NP: Justice League (2017) - Denny Elfman

Elfman in full throttle super hero mode. What a treat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2018
    You've just listened to two amazingly disappointing scores in a row.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I agree with Thor. Cats and dogs, living together!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. You're both legendarily contrarian though. So perhaps less of a surprise.
  10. Everyone saying that those three long tracks in Red Sparrow would make a great album seem to be overlooking the fact that the "Overture" and "End Titles" are about 90% identical, it would seem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2018
    NP: NOSTALGIA (Laurent Eyquem)

I've been waiting for the brilliant Eyquem of WINNIE MANDELA and COPPERHEAD to return, and this -- while sounding nothing at all like them -- is certainly it. Wonderful score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TOMB RAIDER (Junkie XL)

Very disappointing.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Tomb Raider (2001) - Graeme Revell

For whatever reason I never listened to that score. It doesn't seem too bad. Nothing extraordinary though.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Tomb Raider (2001) - Graeme Revell

For whatever reason I never listened to that score. It doesn't seem too bad. Nothing extraordinary though.

Volker

It's OK. Certainly better than the new one -- and I say that as a longtime JXL defender and fan.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

Very disappointing.

Christ. If you of all people are saying that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote

Very disappointing.

I wasn’t expecting anything more than fun, and was hoping for it to be in the same range as 300: Rise of an Empire. What did you think of that one, and how does it compare?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Very disappointing.

I wasn’t expecting anything more than fun, and was hoping for it to be in the same range as 300: Rise of an Empire. What did you think of that one, and how does it compare?

300 is much, much better. TOMB RAIDER had one or two decent tracks (the calm ones), the rest is just noise with basically NO dynamic range.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Sleepers JW

Not disappointing.

You can say that again!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Very disappointing.

300 is much, much better. TOMB RAIDER had one or two decent tracks (the calm ones), the rest is just noise with basically NO dynamic range.

Damn.

Ok, that’s settled then, I will now listen to Greenwood’s latest first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, it would make sense if the only JXL score I dislike in YEARS is the one people here like. :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh don’t worry, the only person over here likely to enjoy it is me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Guess I have to hope for ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL instead. It's almost been a tradition with at least one JXL score on my Top 10 each year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FIFTY SHADES FREED (Danny Elfman)

Unremarkable -- like the two previous scores (except for David Buckley's gorgeous "Bliss" cue from the first one).
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Very disappointing.

Because his other scores had so much dynamic range? Pretty sure Mad Max's waveform is a big rectangle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Quite the contrary, there's a lot of things going on even in the more massive MAD MAX tracks -- like that recurrent descending line. It has a forward momentum that TOMB RAIDER lacks, a heavy metal philosophy. It also lacks MAD MAX's sheer ingenuity. There's doing loudness as a philosophy, and as a poor consequence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2018
    NP: ATLANTIS (Eric Serra)

Gorgeous. My favourite of his.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2018 edited
    A Wrinkle in Time - Ramin Djawadi

It is incredibly bland and laden with cliches. There isn't anything really of true interest. Not even as a mood score is it good. The new-ageish parts of the score just aren't compelling.

Pacific Rim is probably Djawadi's best work I think (aside from Game of Thrones's highlights - I also liked Warcraft's peaks, particularly the cue Honor which is wonderfully moody), but it is still not very good and still filled with cliches.

I am sure Jason Moran would have supplied something much more imaginative and better had he gotten the gig.

Rating: 1.5 stars out of 5.

---

Tomb Raider - Tom Holkenborg

Dreadful. The weakest score of the year together with Ludwig Göransson's Death Wish.

Rating: 1 star out of 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2018 edited
    NP: DRYADS - GIRLS DON'T CRY (Marius Christiansen)

One of my favourite Norwegian scores in 2015 -- both songs and score. Sadly unreleased.
    I am extremely serious.