• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I just finished Mark McKenzie's new MAX AND ME. It's the best thing I've heard in years. Definitely on par with THE GREATEST MIRACLE. "Two Crowns Vision" gave me chills. "Heaven's Welcome" literally dropped my jaw. And there are so many highlights in between. I was hoping for more Joshua Bell. He only played for three cues. His performances are excellent, of course. His violin in "A Mother's Prayer" is achingly beautiful, and his double stop playing at the end of "I Love You" (a cue title that may well feature in every one of McKenzie's scores) is fabulous. But I was hoping for him to play something slightly more virtuosic. If there's another slight issue with the score, it might be that it's too beautiful. There is a dynamic range in the music, for sure, and there are some cues with a much more tragic and dark beauty to them, but there were 3-4 cues toward the end that were so gorgeous and all in about the same range that I can imagine some listeners growing a little tired of that sound. But that's a very minor quibble, and no problem at all for me! I can't get enough of McKenzie's music when he's in this mode. This is truly excellent music. I will be very pleasantly shocked if anything else composed this year can beat it for score of the year for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2018
    I'm at home. Don't know what to play. Haven't slept for 38 hours amd countuing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Don't play anything. Go to sleep already!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Around the World in Eighteen Days by Victor Young? biggrin

Congrats pal! Welcome home!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: The Post (2017) - bow John Williams

Man, this is outright gorgeous! Granted, for the experienced listener of Williams' music there is little new to discover here. But I love Williams in JFK mode. Besides, the score isn't as restricted as I thought it would be from what I had read before. I think "The Presses Roll" is my favourite cue. It's magical!

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Don't play anything. Go to sleep already!

I going to stay awake until 12.00pm try and get my cvlock back
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Welcome back, from the photos on Facebook it looks like you had an amazing trip!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was brilliant John. I would prefer 4 years rather than 4 months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know what you're saying, Tim. I have too many issues at home, so I can neither afford nor set aside time for the holiday you've been having. But it's been a lifelong dream. Looking forward to your report, even if I've followed you on Facebook.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A report? I wouldn't know where to start? I'll try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't try today. Do it tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I havce already formed a way of writing it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sorry about the spelling mistakes. lack of sleep makes coordination a bit off.
  5. Thor won't mind. He knows what your talking about. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'you're'

still got some smarts spin wink

#Steven biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't know what your talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Max & Me Mark McKenzie

Little doubt that this is going to end up being my favourite score of the year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't know what your talking about.

Your an idiot!
  6. Southall wrote
    Max & Me Mark McKenzie

Little doubt that this is going to end up being my favourite score of the year.

beer
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2018
    Tomb Raider - That Junkie dude

Bad. Very, very bad.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Alexandre Desplat

So much better.

I'll give Max & Me a listen tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Welcome back Timmer! I liked all the photos and stories of the places on Facebook, and some of it made me envy you. (some food didn't! wink ). You didn't miss much here I think? Oh, there's also a John Williams concert in October, but it is sold out. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2018 edited
    Welcome back Tim! Looks like you had an amazing time. Watching trips like yours play out on Facebook always give me the travel bug over the standard package beach holidays that start plastering my feed come Summer.

WAS PLAYING: TOMB RAIDER - XL Tomborg Holkenjunkie

Only managed about two minutes before giving up. I've had sex that's lasted longer.

NOW PLAYING: THE MUMMY RETURNS - Alan Silvestri

Now this is how you score a tomb.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you guys. Still trying to process it all spin dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    WAS PLAYING: TOMB RAIDER - XL Tomborg Holkenjunkie

Only managed about two minutes before giving up. I've had sex that's lasted longer.

No need to brag.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Gregson Williams - Wonder Woman

this thing was temp-tracked with so much Last Samurai its not even funny
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018 edited
    Re: RED SPARROW

LSH wrote
    I enjoyed my first listen but, as you’ve demonstrated, it can definitely be condensed. However, despite the highlights being really well constructed pieces I don’t think it has that much re-listen value. I haven’t seen the film yet but I imagine it works well.

Well I'm certainly eating my words. Saw this at the cinema tonight. It does have a wonderfully cold spy-thriller feel to it and some truly good performances but, as many reviewers have noted, it is mostly style over substance. Howard's score plays a huge role though and it most definitely adds a massive smudge of class. His music is always there - quite noticeably too - beautiful and menacing at the same time. The opening scene is the highlight of the film in my opinion, with his 'ballet' piece sewing together two thrilling concurrent narratives. So yeah... I'm definitely enjoying this one more having seen the film. Not his most listenable score, sure, but on a purely technical level it's his best in a while.

NP: RED SPARROW - James Newton Howard
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018
    Gone Girl - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

I have grown to dig their stuff quite a bit. It is so much better than what we get from RCP, except the rare exceptions. This is probably their second best score, although I haven't heard Patriots Day, The Vietnam War and Before the Blood yet. It is on my to do list.

---

Annihilation - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow

Still not a big fan of this even if it is decent, I was a rather big fan of Ex Machina so this counts as a disappointment.

---

Game Night - Cliff Martinez

A decent score, not one of his best, but pretty solid stuff nonetheless.

---

Den of Thieves - Cliff Martinez

Giving this disappointing Martinez's score another try, it is still not doing anything for me but bore me - in fact, I think it is one of his weakest ever scores.

---

You Were Never Really Here - Jonny Greenwood

A pretty good score - one of the top 5 best scores of the year so far in fact. I don't think it is one of his best, his best are still There Will Be Blood followed by Phantom Thead. The Master might be my least favourite Greenwood score even if it is decent.
  7. I don't envy you that listening slate, Washu.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018 edited
    Haha, I see what you mean. I just set out on a mission to try to find Reznor & Ross's finest 1 hour of film music compiled out of their 6 film scores, but won't listen to them back to back wink

That means I have to narrow down around 10 hours to just 1 hour.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

It has its moments, but I am not a big fan of this at all. Maybe their weakest film score. It works well enough in context, but there is just so much seething, nasty music you can take....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018
    NP: BELLE (Rachel Portman)

One of my favourites by her.
    I am extremely serious.