• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: AKIRA (1988) - Yamashiro Shoji

The suite track "Requiem" is a tremendous composition!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: 2001: A Space Odyssee (1968 / 1993) - Alex North

As recorded by Jerry Goldsmith and the National Philharmonic Orchestra.
    I have a hard time picturing this music inside the film. Nonetheless this is an incredible intelligent composition.

Volker
  3. LSH wrote
    Welcome back Tim! Looks like you had an amazing time. Watching trips like yours play out on Facebook always give me the travel bug over the standard package beach holidays that start plastering my feed come Summer.

WAS PLAYING: TOMB RAIDER - XL Tomborg Holkenjunkie

I've had sex that's lasted longer..

I hope so for you wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018
    NP: LE PETIT PRINCE - LA SYMPHONIE (Frédéric Talgorn)

Some of it Bernard Herrmann-ish, other more romantic in nature. Regardless, a great album.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond II

Quite possibly the best re-recorded Sci-Fi compilation ever.
  5. NP: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962 / 1997) - Elmer Bernstein
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by the composer.

The perfect score for the perfect adaptation of a classic novel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018 edited
    NP: MAX & ME (Mark McKenzie)

It's all lovely and pretty, no doubt, but like with all other McKenzie scores I've heard, it's all very "on-the-nose" and literal, like the music you sometimes hear in those huge, American prayer meetings (I have the same issue with a great deal of Michael J. Lewis' stuff too). Undermines some of the music's effect for a reserved Norwegian. I can understand why certain types of fans go apeshit over this, but to me, it's always with a bit of aftertaste. I doubt it's going to be a Top 10 contender.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2018 edited
    Same for me Thor. It's too much for me, too much sugar or schmaltz, I don't know. However, it's indeed all lovely and beautiful, but it doesn't touch me in the same way it does to others here. Damned. I wished I liked it more.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2018
    NP: SHUFFLE (Kurt Kuenne)

When I encounter this in my iTunes collection, I always ask myself: Why do I have this? But then I start listening, and remember how good it was -- even if it's a bit too eclectic in styles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA FORÊT (Etienne Forget)

This is so wonderful. I need to write a review asap.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Harry Gregson-Williams - Deja Vu

Some of my favorite HGW thematic material here, the love theme (Dazzle Me and Tell Me the Truth) is beautiful and there's another theme (most prominently in Claire's Apartment and Humvee Chase, a misnomer with the previous track). The terrorist motif is a chilling trumpet motif that very well informs Jim Caviezel's terrifyingly understated villain.

I also quite like the film. Sure, the time travel moments make little sense and, it seems, the physical complexities of the idea were completely shunned by Tony Scott in favor of spectacle, though he is still able to milk the concept out for its entertainment value. I really like how understated Denzel Washington was in his films (he gets back to that in The Equalizer, which plays out like a bastard child of Man on Fire anyway) and, actually, in his dialogue scene with Denzel it's the chilly Caviezel that steals the show.

Perhaps I'm the only fan of this director out here, but there's much more to Tony Scott than meets the eye. And while some of Hans' best early work is for his films and Crimson Tide is one of the film score masterpieces in my opinion, Gregson-Williams perfectly addressed the paradoxes of his post-The Fan work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. I just wish HGW had managed to write a single interesting action cue for ANY of his Tony Scott collaborations. I generally enjoy the more subdued moments from those but as soon as someone is running or driving or fighting - out come the drumloops, away goes anything interesting. He doesn't have his colleague Powell's ability to make that sort of music engaging.
  8. Not even Spy Game has interesting action cues for you? I can imagine you not liking Enemy of the State though, which is about rehashing a single idea about all the time and a weird collaborative process where each composer credits the other one for doing more.

The drumloops issue underscores, really, the specifics of Tony Scott's cinema. What I like about these action cues, myself, is how he injects subtle dramatic strings into that, mostly adding a sense of desperation. If you know what Scott aimed for in at least Man on Fire and Domino, the whole craziness is explained by the characters' mindset, which is exactly what the director aimed for. Man on Fire is about one man's quest for revenge informed by his descent into darkness and madness and was designed as a subjective narrative, Domino's style was defined by Scott's research on bounty hunters and their addiction to cocaine.

It's a bit of the same problem people like Clemmensen (and to an extent you, though I don't think you are completely cold in at least every case) have with the Zimmer/Nolan collaboration: while Zimmer's score are about driving the narrative forward by precisely maintaining internal coherence (with all the parallel editing going on in Nolan's films and their elaborate play with whatever aspect of time we are dealing with), Gregson-Williams addresses an interesting paradox of Tony Scott's style in the final period of his career:

Crazy camera work is largely offset by very low-key performances by both heroes and villains with the exception of John Travolta in Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 who... is as John Travolta as it gets. The subdued moments working their way into the crazy action stuff by, as I said above, injecting desperate string bits (HGW's singular string expression only helps here), are offset by drumloops and whatever layer works the momentum created by the high-octane camera work and the kinetic, choppy editing ("Tony doesn't like to hit synchronization points subtly" - something like that was said by HGW in a post-Man on Fire interview). And that is, by extension, but a plausible one, the paradox of Tony Scott's characters.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    but as soon as someone is running or driving or fighting - out come the drumloops, away goes anything interesting. He doesn't have his colleague Powell's ability to make that sort of music engaging.

but john powell never scored a tony scott movie. that means we have no idea, in what style powell would have composed the music. but when i hear the action music for example in D-Tox, there is no difference to harrys music for tony scott films. it really depends on what the director wants. i love tony scott movies and harrys musical style for them. since The Fan scott prefered this kind of music and for me it worked fantastic.
  9. NP: A Theory of Everything (2014) - Jóhann Jóhannsson

As Aidabaida said in the RIP thread. The music harkens back stylistically to the music Phil Glass wrote for "A Short History of Time", which might not be a coincidence.

Volker
  10. NP: Les Miserables (1997) - Basil Poledouris

Sublime. It rivals the music of the musical.
  11. Lars wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    but as soon as someone is running or driving or fighting - out come the drumloops, away goes anything interesting. He doesn't have his colleague Powell's ability to make that sort of music engaging.

but john powell never scored a tony scott movie. that means we have no idea, in what style powell would have composed the music. but when i hear the action music for example in D-Tox, there is no difference to harrys music for tony scott films. it really depends on what the director wants. i love tony scott movies and harrys musical style for them. since The Fan scott prefered this kind of music and for me it worked fantastic.

Actually, the first Bourne score and Italian Job do have moments that very much remind of what Gregson-Williams did in Spy Game and later expanded on in his own action style. I could say the same thing for Klaus Badelt's The Recruit.

Powell redefined the game with The Bourne Supremacy, but it has to be said that in his earlier electronica scores HGW was making an impact with his own hybrid electronics/orchestra work since Spy Game.

It can't be blamed though that Tony Scott wanted to follow up on what essentially was an expansion (indeed!) of The Fan, where Scott also experimented (and failed for many reasons) with the same subjective approach that would later inform Man on Fire and Domino in particular. Interestingly another staple of his style, using multiple point of views/sources (TV, CCTV, satellite imagery, TV cameras in Domino, webcam in Taking of Pelham 1-2-3) would first appear in Enemy of the State, but that's another story.

However, it has to be said that on a purely musical/rhythmic level, Deja Vu (and, to an extent, Unstoppable) is the most streamlined score of them all.
  12. Lars wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I was thinking more Bourne Supremacy/Paycheck/Italian Job than D-Tox, necessarily, but point taken. Maybe Tony Scott's fast-cutting is harder to write engaging music to than Paul Greengrass' camera-shaking. Although Greengrass isn't exactly easy to please, musically (and hey, whaddya know - now that he doesn't work with Powell anymore, and Jason Bourne does not count, suddenly the scores to his movies have gotten a lot less engaging. I'm just saying...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUNSET BOULEVARD (Franz Waxman)

The album is too long, but the score is obviously great (ol' Waxie is my favourite Golden Ager). This is the Varese rerecording with McNeely and the RSNO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Deja Vu

I also quite like the film. Sure, the time travel moments make little sense and, it seems, the physical complexities of the idea were completely shunned by Tony Scott in favor of spectacle, though he is still able to milk the concept out for its entertainment value. I really like how understated Denzel Washington was in his films (he gets back to that in The Equalizer, which plays out like a bastard child of Man on Fire anyway) and, actually, in his dialogue scene with Denzel it's the chilly Caviezel that steals the show..

Movie is pretty good but it’s really redeemed by, in my opinion, one of the top 5 car chases ever filmed. The car chase is so ingenious I wonder if it was thought of first and then a story written to accommodate it.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2018
    Viceroy's House - A.R. Rahman

Very beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolf Totem James Horner

So wonderful. He left us far too soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

I love this score, and I am so afraid of the new one. If "The Revenge" is the highlight of that score, my fears will come true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I got myself in some trouble discussing the sequel score in a Facebook group yesterday. I had to leave the group. I’m 40 years old, shouldn’t I know better by now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Caliburn wrote
    Pacific Rim - Ramin Djawadi

I love this score, and I am so afraid of the new one. If "The Revenge" is the highlight of that score, my fears will come true.

yes, yes, this score is amazing.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2018 edited
    I did not enjoy Pacific Rim. Film or score. I won't go out of my way to see the new one. Or listen to the score, probably. Not my thing.

jb1234 wrote
    Viceroy's House - A.R. Rahman

Very beautiful.

Southall wrote
    Wolf Totem James Horner

So wonderful. He left us far too soon.

Now these scores I can get behind. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2018 edited
    Max and Me - Mark McKenzie

It is is a pretty good saccharine traditional score, but it isn't anything special at all.

It almost strikes me as a poor man's Horner score in this mode, but Horner's scores usually had at least one good theme, this is forgettable in comparision. I would be shocked in a negative way if it was still in my top 10 of the year by the end of the year - it is too lite and too heavy-handed for my taste too. Not a fan of the clichés here either, the wordless choir (even if I am thankful that he added words to at least one of the cues) and the wailing. It isn't doing anything for me i'm afraid.

I can think of dozens of better film scores than this from the last few years.
  13. Krull - James Horner

Pretty spectacular work by James.
  14. Washu wrote
    it is too lite and too heavy-handed

Come again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote
    Max and Me - Mark McKenzie

It is is a pretty good saccharine traditional score, but it isn't anything special at all.

It almost strikes me as a poor man's Horner score in this mode, but Horner's scores usually had at least one good theme, this is forgettable in comparision. I would be shocked in a negative way if it was still in my top 10 of the year by the end of the year - it is too lite and too heavy-handed for my taste too. Not a fan of the clichés here either, the wordless choir (even if I am thankful that he added words to at least one of the cues) and the wailing. It isn't doing anything for me i'm afraid.

I can think of dozens of better film scores than this from the last few years.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, as I expressed earlier in the thread.
    I am extremely serious.