• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Justice League (2017) - Danny Elfman

Elfman's Batman and Spider-Man scores have always been part of my gold standard in action film scoring. Justice League is a most welcome return to that musical universe. Spine tingling!

smile Volker

I agree on BATMAN and maybe 30% of what you about SPIDERMAN.

This, however, is a dreadful score, as are most Elfman 'big action' things in the last 15 years. BUT...I've managed to make a playlist of it, at some 33 minutes, that at least work reasonably well and makes it listenable.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Justice League (2017) - Danny Elfman

Elfman's Batman and Spider-Man scores have always been part of my gold standard in action film scoring. Justice League is a most welcome return to that musical universe. Spine tingling!

smile Volker

I agree on BATMAN and maybe 30% of what you about SPIDERMAN.

This, however, is a dreadful score, as are most Elfman 'big action' things in the last 15 years. BUT...I've managed to make a playlist of it, at some 33 minutes, that at least work reasonably well and makes it listenable.

Spider-Man is not right up there but Spider-Man 2 is brilliant.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018
    The SPIDERMANs never did much for me. It was around the first movie, I started to tire of superhero movies (and scores). But I've noticed that Maintitles has become a sort of Superheromovies.net in recent years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I tired of them around that time too. I always really (really) liked Elfman's theme. The scores in total, maybe not so much, but the theme is just brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it's good. Really the only worthwhile aspect of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I've noticed that Maintitles has become a sort of Superheromovies.net in recent years.

But you're the only one with a superhero name. So, you know, who's really to blame here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My parents?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    But I've noticed that Maintitles has become a sort of Superheromovies.net in recent years.

Not really our fault if Hollywood refuses to make anything else.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    But I've noticed that Maintitles has become a sort of Superheromovies.net in recent years.

Good point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Maintitles and the other film music boards like huge orchestral scores with a strong melodic theme, and those are found primarily in superhero themes these days. But the boards get just as excited about massive orchestral scores in any film, like Valerian or Jupiter Ascending.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Desplat and Giacchino? Yeah, Thor will appreciate that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Desplat and Giacchino? Yeah, Thor will appreciate that.

heh, well Thor is sort of the minority in this case. Just about everybody on the board likes those big orchestral powerhouse scores, so if he's wondering why it seems we're obsessed with superhero scores, that's why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Paycheck John Powell

I've always thought of this as the fun version of Bourne.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018
    Wonder Woman - Rupert Gregson-Williams

I can't say I am enjoying this much at all - it is mostly bland and boring, but it has some decent highlights/moments.
  4. Thor wrote
    My parents?

I blame them, too.

Wait -- what were we talking about? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Paycheck John Powell

I've always thought of this as the fun version of Bourne.

such a good score...
  5. Washu wrote

I can't say I am enjoying this much at all - it is mostly bland and boring, but it has some decent highlights/moments.

Ah, that's too bad. I love it.

But it seems like superhero scores around here - you either love 'em or hate 'em.
  6. NP:Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

I've seen the movie so many times (one of my favorites) I can't help but see all the scenes when listening to this one. The theme is more sad, than purely romantic - I feel like it's communicating the missed opportunity of a life of love, rather than the endurance of love across time.
    • CommentAuthorCalcio
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Good point.

You know that films made outside of Hollywood exist too, right? They also often have scores of their own. wink

Seriously though, people are always complaining about Hollywood films/scores but are apparently unwilling to look beyond them.
  7. Well, I guess, Edmund was speaking with irony and so was I. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018 edited
    Calcio wrote

Seriously though, people are always complaining about Hollywood films/scores but are apparently unwilling to look beyond them.

Indeed. Not saying it necessarily applies in this context, but it's one of the weirdest and most fascinating aspects of almost all film music forums I frequent. It's like if someone walked into a huge hardware store, stopped by the hammers, stared at them for five minutes before saying "man, the selection of utility tools in this store is really poor!".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Washu wrote

Bland and boring. Perfectly summing up Rupert's career and music. Functional and forgettable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Washu wrote

Bland and boring. Perfectly summing up Rupert's career and music. Functional and forgettable.

-Erik-

I think his POSTMAN PAT score is brilliant!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Medicine Man Goldsmith

Haven't listened to this in far too long, I've never been able to connect to the more overt synth elements in this one but the rest is absolutely terrific!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Mulholland Drive - Angelo Badalamenti

This is a pretty good score, some lovely dark ambience here, it has at least two tracks - 8 minutes of music worthy of addition to any Badalamenti playlist.

Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5.

---

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Alexandre Desplat

Giving it a last listen before I move on. I have added the track Le Souper du Roi to my Desplat playlist for now (in addition to Medusa, Pearls on Mul, Valerian's Armor and Pearls Power as the best from Valerian) to make it a 15 minute playlist from the score even if it might not make my cut once I critically go through all of the tracks later on once I have collected bits and pieces from other Desplat scores I consider his best cues.

Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5.

---

The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat

Yep, I am enjoying this a lot less than Valerian as a whole and Valerian's highlights blows Shape of Water's highpoints away. To me this is a surprinsingly average Desplat score given the acclaim, it is a step above average for him I will at least acknowledge that, but certainly not among his best scores.

Rating: 3 stars out of 5.

---

Blade Runner 2049 - Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch

I really like this score, well most of it, it was one of the top 10 scores of 2017. The many atonal moments are pretty un-Hollywood which I dig. I would still cut the album in about half and make it a 40 minute album despite this though.

Rating: 3.5 stars for the rather poor commercially released album, 4 stars for my custom 40 minute playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote

Blade Runner 2049 - Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch

I really like this score, well most of it, it was one of the top 10 scores of 2017. The many atonal moments are pretty un-Hollywood which I dig. I would still cut the album in about half and make it a 40 minute album despite this though.

I have a great 53-minute playlist of this, which actually ups the quality a bit (it's pretty good from the get-go, but rises even a couple of notches in this format).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP:Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

I've seen the movie so many times (one of my favorites) I can't help but see all the scenes when listening to this one. The theme is more sad, than purely romantic - I feel like it's communicating the missed opportunity of a life of love, rather than the endurance of love across time.

That is a very insightful point on that theme. Thanks for sharing!
  10. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Washu wrote

-Erik-

I think his POSTMAN PAT score is brilliant!

I really like BEE MOVIE. It's got to be one of the funnest scores I've ever heard. I also thought he did pretty well with WONDER WOMAN. It's not quite what I had initially hoped for, but his more old-school orchestral approach and incorporation of the Zimmer theme worked well, I thought.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: Tomb Raider - Tom Holkenborg

Terrible.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  11. NP: The Tudors Season 4 (2010) - Trevor Morris

Outstanding. The final five cues are sublime.

Volker