• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Well, the slowness bit is not something that bothers me. I love slow; in fact, that's what I gravitate towards these days.

For me, a lack of interesting ideas is part and parcel with the slowness here.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2018
    NP: THE LADY IN THE VAN (George Fenton)

Whimsical, but coherent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TERRITORY (Tuomas Kantelinen)

The tracks are in alphabetical order, which sucks. sad Let me know if someone has found out the film order here, at least. The score is great!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    And the fact that it accompanies a Holocaust movie, leaves an extra bitter taste in my mouth.

Have you seen the movie? Do you know how they depict and/or use the Holocaust in the film? Why does every score that deals with the Holocuast HAVE to sound like Schindler's List?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2018 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    And the fact that it accompanies a Holocaust movie, leaves an extra bitter taste in my mouth.

Have you seen the movie? Do you know how they depict and/or use the Holocaust in the film? Why does every score that deals with the Holocuast HAVE to sound like Schindler's List?

-Erik-

They don't. Plenty of viable options. But over-the-top schmalz -- like something out of a goddamn prayer meeting -- is not one of them. I don't really need to see the film to hear that. In fact, this score has pretty much killed any interest in seeing the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    They don't. Plenty of viable options. But over-the-top schmalz -- like something out of a goddamn prayer meeting -- is not one of them. I don't really need to see the film to hear that. In fact, this score has pretty much killed any interest in seeing the film.

Again, context is key here. Maybe it's "schmalzy" or in better words deeply emotional because of what is being portrayed on screen. Maybe, just maybe, the film calls for this kind of music. Just because a film takes place during the Holocuast doesn't mean it has to sound a certain way and that this kind of emotive music can't be written for it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The film is an overtly Christian religious one aimed at preaching the good news. If the score sounds like a prayer meeting (which I don’t think it does) then take it in that context, not that of a holocaust movie.
  2. Max and Me (not "Mac and Me" as I tend to read it): I need to check out that score.

Played yesterday: Justice League (2017) - Danny Elfman

Head phones, eyes closed, bliss for 75 minutes. This resonates deeply.

NP: THOR Ragnarök (2017) - Mark Mothersbaugh

Not as intriguing as the one mentioned before very worthwhile all the same.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: So Let Us Melt - Jessica Curry
    Stylistically this is very much in the same vein as her previous work, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. They are both beautiful, dramatic, deliberately-paced works with gorgeous, religious-ish choral work and basically the exact opposite of what one typically expects to hear from a video game score.
  4. NP: The Da Vinci Code (2006) - Hans Zimmer

2006? I had a feeling, this was actually more years ago. Anyway, on of the best things, Zimmer has ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wild Matthijs Kieboom

Very nice nature documentary score.
  5. I think it's fantastic music, but a bad film score. On purely musical terms it might be in his top 3 orchestral scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018
    Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri

It's okay. Will probably be able to upgrade that to "good" once I do some pruning down to maybe fifty minutes. Not as much thematic development as I was expecting based on earlier reports that the main theme is all over the score. My biggest complaint with Silvestri's action is how he tends to write in a start-stop style which kills momentum. There's certainly plenty of that here. That said, there's also some cues where he comes up with a motif and develops it which are very entertaining (like "Arty On the Inside"). Unfortunately, there's also moments where he pulls out the dreaded electronics (never his strong suit) and I move to skip the track.
  6. I like Silvestri doing electronics. Anyway,

NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann

The Varese re-recording. I considered getting the original recording of this iconic score but I really dig the sound of this re-recording and I think I'll leave it at that.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    jb1234 wrote

It's okay. Will probably be able to upgrade that to "good" once I do some pruning down to maybe fifty minutes. Not as much thematic development as I was expecting based on earlier reports that the main theme is all over the score. My biggest complaint with Silvestri's action is how he tends to write in a start-stop style which kills momentum.

Indeed. A bit like Patrick Doyle. Not my favourite aspect of Silvestri either, which makes something like BTTF2 almost unlistenable. I saw the film on Monday (loved the score there), and just acquired the soundtrack. Will write a review soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann

The Varese re-recording. I considered getting the original recording of this iconic score but I really dig the sound of this re-recording and I think I'll leave it at that.

Volker

Funnily enough I just listened to this a few days ago, a brilliant recording of a seminal score! I've always been happy with this version to and resisted all the releases of the original tracks including the Matessino remastered version on 'Kritzerland'. But now that 'La La Land' are reissuing it at a slightly reduced price I've buckled and am finally going to get it. It's such a unique and groundbreaking score that I want to have it as Herrmann originally got it on tape as a companion to the excellent re-recording.

The 12 minute suite Herrmann conducted with the National Philharmonic in 1974 for Phase IV is also a must have as indeed are all of the Herrmann Phase IV recordings!
  8. NP: Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri

Only six tracks so far but my expectations were already exceeded by the first two! Was not expecting any choir in this thing. But now that I think about it, its a clever creative decision because a movie set in a virtual reality is otherwise going to lack the emotional weight and sense of meaningfulness that you need for a good drama. Well-done epic choral parts automatically make on-screen events seem more important if the filmmaking is at all competent (which I'm sure it is in this case).

And I agree with Captain, Silvestri electronics are fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm also playing it for the second time, Morgan. Lots of great stuff, but also some underwhelming stuff that they could easily have weeded out for better listening. Guess I have to do everything myself these days! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu

This was much blander and more anonymous than I expected it to be. It shows us how far Silvestri has sunk - one of the most overrated living film composers even if he has done some fine work in the past (Back to the Future, Predator etc). It was a long time ago since he wrote a very good score. The theme is only OK, but ultimately bland and uninspiring. Annoying excessive string ostinati and ostinato-driven action music too which is very tiring to listen to. This is disappointing to say the least even if I didn't expect much. This is one of the weakest scores for a Spielberg film ever. A dull and uninspired score. It is also exhausting and fatiguing.

Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5.
  9. Dude, you have to be the grouchiest film music fan I've ever come across.
  10. I've never really been a fan of Silvestri myself. Just one of the guys I could never really get into.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Really? I am just writing what I think wink Agreed about Silvestri, he has done maybe a dozen or so of very good scores, but I am not a big fan of him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2018 edited
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

Much better, this is one of Newman's finest 21st century scores. A wonderful Indian flavoured journey. Apparently it is the score he himself would pick to listen to from his fairly recent output if he just had to grab something. Give me this any day over quite a few of John Williams's automatic pilot scores.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Washu wrote
    A dull and uninspired score. It is also exhausting and fatiguing.

Having just got back from the film (which was dynamite) you couldn't be more wrong. Like the film, the score is dripping and oozing in 80's nostalgia and everything that made 80's Silvestri so great is in this score.

Washu wrote
    This is one of the weakest scores for a Spielberg film ever.

Incorrect. After finishing the end credits in the theatre just 30 minutes ago I can't help but think how good the 3 non-Williams Spielberg feature film scores were. Jones and his friends did a bang up job on The Color Purple. Thomas Newman absolutely NAILED Bridge of Spies. And now we have Alan Silvestri in peak form with Ready Player One. Spielberg certainly brings out the best in his composers.

It's a superb score; thrilling, exciting, frightening, romantic, fun with a memorable sing-song main theme that leaves you humming it after the lights have come on! Easily one of the best scores of the year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with Erik, for once. Despite some dullish tracks, it's a great score. I'm going to weed away 20-30 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Like with Black Panther, I'm sure watching the film will help me appreciate the score more. I've just never been a huge Silvestri fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love this one. Silvestri’s best Work in a very, very long time. Even the electronics are great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I love this one. Silvestri’s best Work in a very, very long time. Even the electronics are great!

Indeed! Especially in great cues like "Wade's Broadcast" "Last Change" and "Sorrento Makes An Offer!"

A wonderfully colourful and diverse score! So much to sink your teeth into.

-Erik-
  11. I should have the CD by next Friday. Looking very forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

This has *really* grown on me with each listen. I still think the album's too long, but I definitely wouldn't prune it as much now as I would after my initial listens.

Now I'd say Erik's 70 minute playlist is probably close to the mark.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.