• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2018
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Rampage - Andrew Lockington

I have a soft spot for Lockington but this is the most distressingly generic, wallpapery action music I've ever heard from him. It's missing the melodic heart of the Journey scores and it's not even as pleasantly propulsive as was San Andreas. Still, there are a few worthwhile cues that incorporate some light melancholic choir... "Cornfield", "Requiem" and "Saved." The "Rampage" suite at the end is decent too. But overall, I was disappointed.

I've always considered his music generic but this definitely hits new lows. And I'm honestly not sure if there's a genuine instrument in the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lost in Space Christopher Lennertz

This is bloody brilliant.
  1. jb1234 wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Rampage - Andrew Lockington

I have a soft spot for Lockington but this is the most distressingly generic, wallpapery action music I've ever heard from him. It's missing the melodic heart of the Journey scores and it's not even as pleasantly propulsive as was San Andreas. Still, there are a few worthwhile cues that incorporate some light melancholic choir... "Cornfield", "Requiem" and "Saved." The "Rampage" suite at the end is decent too. But overall, I was disappointed.

I've always considered his music generic but this definitely hits new lows. And I'm honestly not sure if there's a genuine instrument in the whole thing.

That's a shame to hear. Then again, I've very often enjoyed Lockington music that others have called generic, so I'm still holding out a bit of hope...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2018 edited
    Southall wrote

Nah. It's the usual mix of boring and/or noisy. The lowkey tracks are fine, though. But I couldn't even get through the thing, and dread the day I'm having to give it another go.

BUT...the series looks entertaining. Looking forward to binging it on Netflix.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - James Horner

This score contains some of the finest blends of symphonic and electronic music I have ever come across.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Nah. It's the usual mix of boring and/or noisy. The lowkey tracks are fine, though. But I couldn't even get through the thing, and dread the day I'm having to give it another go.

Based on what I could sample on Erik's show right now I'd say James is bloody right. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - James Horner

This score contains some of the finest blends of symphonic and electronic music I have ever come across.

Volker

this is correct
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote

`

My thoughts exactly. I'm loving this!
    Great how Lennertz incorporates John Williams' classic theme so intelligently throughout the score.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Southall wrote

I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet but I did watch the pilot and the music is very effective, boldly mixed and providing the gravitas that the episode would otherwise lack. Probably won't continue the show but will definitely give the soundtrack a listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Based on what I could sample on Erik's show right now I'd say James is bloody right. wink

Basically it suffers from the Michael Giacchino Syndrome -- lots of big, orchestral chords and rhytmic figures that leap around and go nowhere. But slightly better than MG, I'll give it that. And after having now seen two episodes, I like the references to the JW theme here and there (or the chords of it).

This is very much NOT the type of film music I like to listen to these days, but I'm aware it is for many.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE STORYTELLER (Rachel Portman)

Now THIS, on the other hand, is brilliant indeed. Great stuff; I had no idea Portman was capable of this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorCalcio
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Basically it suffers from the Michael Giacchino Syndrome -- lots of big, orchestral chords and rhytmic figures that leap around and go nowhere.

Glad somebody else hears it. It has become more and more prevalent in his music as time has gone by and the more I hear it the more perplexing the endless praise he receives becomes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Calcio wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Basically it suffers from the Michael Giacchino Syndrome -- lots of big, orchestral chords and rhytmic figures that leap around and go nowhere.

Glad somebody else hears it. It has become more and more prevalent in his music as time has gone by and the more I hear it the more perplexing the endless praise he receives becomes.

heresy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018 edited
    Calcio wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Indeed! Glad to see someone else recognizing him for the "Emperor's New Clothes" that he is! We are a unique crowd who holds the key to the truth! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Oh God, there's two of them. suicide
  5. Just played: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Benjamin Wallfisch; Hans Zimmer

This grows on me with every listen. Ambient electronic music of the highest order and a great homage to Vangelis.

NP: Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Michael Giacchino

Nothing leaps around here and everything is brought to a most satisfying conclusion.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Just played: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Benjamin Wallfisch; Hans Zimmer

This grows on me with every listen. Ambient electronic music of the highest order and a great homage to Vangelis.

Have you heard Pemberton’s One Strange Rock yet? Another grower for me, especially if you like electronic and/or ambient music with many similarities to Vangelis’ sound.
  6. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Just played: Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Benjamin Wallfisch; Hans Zimmer

Have you heard Pemberton’s One Strange Rock yet? Another grower for me, especially if you like electronic and/or ambient music with many similarities to Vangelis’ sound.

I'll definitely check it out then. smile
  7. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I heard it yesterday. I’m not usually one for a whole lot of bombast, but even I thought it was very impressive. I could see this cracking my top ten at the end of the year. As I listened to it I though, “Everyone is going to love this. Except for Thor. This is not for him.” smile
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2018
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino has felt a bit ragged to me since his strong 2015 but this score in particular is reminding me what an excellent composer he can be when firing on all cylinders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2018
    NP: ALEXANDER - VANGELIS

Is this 14 years old already??!! shocked

Still, a fine and very enjoyable album.
  8. Just played: Avatar (2009) - James Horner

Horner references some earlier works. He takes some inspiration from elsewhere. But above all there is lots of gorgeous original material and, boy, does this recording sound great. This is a superbly produced album.

Volker
  9. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I heard it yesterday. I’m not usually one for a whole lot of bombast, but even I thought it was very impressive. I could see this cracking my top ten at the end of the year. As I listened to it I though, “Everyone is going to love this. Except for Thor. This is not for him.” smile

biggrin

NP: Lost In Space - Christopher Lennertz

Technically, I think this is a very strong score and Lennertz is very competent with the orchestra he has at his disposal. But I am finding it quite impersonal and not that emotionally engaging.

Maybe that has a lot to do with my indifference to the show itself. After having watched the opening episode there's not a single character I really care about (although after rewatching some of the old episodes recently there's not many of those characters worth caring about either).

And the various hints of Williams' original theme that are dropped in throughout the score are just annoying. Just play the damn theme (e.g., in "Dump The Fuel" which is one of the main album highlights).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018
    I listened to Patrick Doyle's score for "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" today when I was writing. That, my friends, is a proper score!
  10. Rampage - Andrew Lockington

A crushing disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Aidabaida wrote
    I listened to Patrick Doyle's score for "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" today when I was writing. That, my friends, is a proper score!

Definitely. It's his magnum opus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never cared for it myself (except the main theme/love theme). Too many stop/start gimmicks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Never cared for it myself (except the main theme/love theme). Too many stop/start gimmicks.

really? interesting. I hate stop/start stuff but I thought the score was fairly consistent...
  11. I prefer Doyle's Shakespeare related scores. Frankenstein is great but a bit noisy / massive.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018 edited
    I prefer Craig Armstrong' Victor Frankenstein.

Now playing: Andrey Dergatchev - Vozvrashcheniye