• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Rampage - Andrew Lockington

A crushing disappointment.

+1.
    I do like the idea behind the choir work. It's actually a fairly unique sound and quite emotionally moving. But there's far too little of it and it's overwhelmed by all the crap-colored wallpaper on the rest of the album.
  2. Played this late afternoon and until now, inspired by not so great related news, both domestic and abroad:

Schindler's List (1993) - John Williams

Exodus (1960) - Ernest Gold
    The re-recording

QB VII (1974) - Jerry Goldsmith

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018
    What news?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Violence at the Israeli border, Jews being attacked in Germany. Anti-Semitism on the rise in Germany due in part to immigration...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018
    I see. None of this is reported in Norwegian media outlets, at least not prominently. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Nineteen Eighty-Four The Music of Oceania (1984) - Dominic Muldowney

I was never the biggest fan of this score apart from the main theme / hymn, but now, that I revisit it I come to appreciate it much more.

Volker
  5. NP: Fahrenheit 451 (1966) - Bernard Herrmann
    The Tribute re-recording

One of Herrmann's undisputed masterpieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018
    Volker your listening choices seem somewhat timely, eh?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  6. I like to listen to scores of thematically related films.
    I actually look quite forward to the upcoming HBO version of Fahrenheit 451. While the 1966 Truffaut film has many merits, it is on purpose impersonal and cold.
    I don't know what stage of production the Greengrass adaptation of 1984 has reached so far. I'm a big fan of the Radgrave 1984 version. Never saw the 1954 one.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018 edited
    NP: BORN IN CHINA (Barnaby Taylor)

A 25-minute promo. A real shame this has no commercial soundtrack release. Lush, orchestral, thematic writing with FOCUS. That's rare these days.

[Edit: Wait, I see it HAS gotten a release since the last time I checked. I was also confusing it with last year's AERIAL CHINA, which is also excellent, but has no release]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018
    NP: TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (Angelo Badalamenti)

I've played this far more rarely than the TV soundtrack (one of the most important cultural objects in my life), which is a shame because the noir-esque qualities are to die for.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Now playing:
    TRON (1982) - Wendy Carlos

TRON: Legacy (2010) - Daft Punk

While Punk's Legacy score is more melodious - with "Adagio for TRON" being my favourite cue - by direct comparison you realize, how much of the original formula they actually carried over from Carlos.

Volker
  8. What I admire about Wendy Carlos' score is the ground breaking organic mix of symphonic an electronic music. It was much harder to achieve back in those analogue times than it is today and even though it is seldom matched. Dissonant and a-tonal in large portions it is a marvel who this musical concept came to fruition in a scifi mainstream blockbuster in the midst of the Star Wars craze.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2018
    Thor wrote
    NP: TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (Angelo Badalamenti)

I've played this far more rarely than the TV soundtrack (one of the most important cultural objects in my life), which is a shame because the noir-esque qualities are to die for.

I think that if Danny Boyle gets the Bond directing job that Badalamenti ( he scored Boyle's The Beach ) would be a fine choice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: Super Furball - Panu Aaltio

This is genuinely delightful! A great, little heroic main theme, a couple of beautiful lyrical themes and a number of fine motifs, all wrapped up in wonderful symphonic writing with many great bits for woodwinds along the way.

The overall levity of the entire thing along with a fair bit of Mickey Mousing may put some people off, but it just puts a huge smile on my face! Easily one of my favourite scores of the year so far.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones playlist - John Williams

This playlist was curated by me. The films star Harrison Ford. Not many people know this but before he was an actor he was a Carpenter but had to find alternative employment after Karen’s tragic death.
  9. He was aptly cast then for Witness. smile
  10. NP: eXistenZ - Howard Shore

This is such a good score. Wonderfully atmospheric.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018
    Black Panther - Ludwig Goransson

70 minute playlist. It gets better every time I listen to it. Having seen the film also helps.
  11. Captain Future wrote
    He was aptly cast then for Witness. smile

Actually, he is REALLY building the barn in that scene.

There was a funny recollection from Paul Bettany about the scene in Firewall where one throws the other one through a piece of glass. I think it was Bettany throwing Ford. It took a few takes. And each time after a take Ford would collect himself and replace the glass for the next take.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

Despite its imaginative title, this is a fine film with an even better score. It's Powell's best (or at least, I would argue it is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018
    Steven wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

Despite its imaginative title, this is a fine film with an even better score. It's Powell's best (or at least, I would argue it is).

yes! a staggering score!
  12. I still prefer the first one (it has more standout moments of individual genius where the music does all the emotional heavy lifting for the film) but there's not much in it, a truly remarkable pair of scores that are among the best of the decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I still prefer the first one (it has more standout moments of individual genius where the music does all the emotional heavy lifting for the film) but there's not much in it, a truly remarkable pair of scores that are among the best of the decade.

if Powell keeps it up for Dragon 3, Newton Howard's Hunger Games scores have competition for the best franchise score of the 2010s....
  13. Oh, man, those are very different musical concepts. I'd be hard put to decide which is better right now. Powell and JNH both serve the respective concepts excellently.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    Oh, man, those are very different musical concepts. I'd be hard put to decide which is better right now. Powell and JNH both serve the respective concepts excellently.

Volker

I like the Hunger Games scores a bit better right now because they are more restrained than Powell's. When JNH pours on the bombast and lyrical beauty, there's a sense of contrast.
  14. Wait, is this seriously a debate that's being had? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Wait, is this seriously a debate that's being had? lol

depends on your definition of debate

anyway I tend to prefer Howard over Powell anyway, so I'm probably a bit biased. Powell sometimes gets too frenetic for me, I can listen to Howard all day!
  15. And I prefer Powell over Howard (slightly), but I don't go around trying to convince people that, say, The Italian Job is a better score than The Last Airbender...
  16. Yeah. People might get a bit irritated should you try this on Kurfüstendamm ...