• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BobdH wrote
    We’re all pretending Snow Falling on Cedars never happened then? Fine. Be that way.

(It’s also the score he lobbied for the hardest to get, and worked on the most to ‘get it right’, so he might consider it his finest work himself).

I agree that is one of his best works, just wanted to mention I also remember reading an interview where he said Peter Pan was his dream project. And that one ranks pretty highly for me personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    I'm not surprised you disagree Erik, as the scores are pretty much the antithesis of the type of scores you praise on your show.

You're right. I don't praise mediocre film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    Maleficent is #2, right behind hunger games

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    BobdH wrote
    We’re all pretending Snow Falling on Cedars never happened then? Fine. Be that way.

(It’s also the score he lobbied for the hardest to get, and worked on the most to ‘get it right’, so he might consider it his finest work himself).

I agree that is one of his best works, just wanted to mention I also remember reading an interview where he said Peter Pan was his dream project. And that one ranks pretty highly for me personally.

Peter Pan shot up so high in my estimation once I finally heard the complete score. That album was a terrible representation, practically all the good adventure material got left out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    I'm not surprised you disagree Erik, as the scores are pretty much the antithesis of the type of scores you praise on your show.

You're right. I don't praise mediocre film music.

-Erik-

I feel that these judgements are predicated somewhat on the “cut it down to the highlights” mentality that seems lately to have dominated the film music community. JNH understands that in order for the big moments to be truly big, there needs to be contrast, there needs to be subtle, more atmospheric cues as well. Contrast and ambiguity seem neglected these days in favor of music that spells out every action on screen. I can enjoy that, of course, but I do prefer music that shows diversity. I have a hard time enjoying a movie that sticks with a single tone throughout, and I feel the same about music.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. That would be fine if JNH's subtle atmospheric cues from the Hunger Games scores were actually interesting. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That would be fine if JNH's subtle atmospheric cues from the Hunger Games scores were actually interesting. wink

There’s many leitmotifs he develops during the subtle cues that make them worthwhile. They might not be apparent on the first listen, but I’d say the scores are just as dense with themes as Powell’s Dragons, albeit less ostentatious themes.
  4. Hmm, I'm sympathetic to that - I regularly defend the Hobbit scores for similar reasons - but I seem to recall there being an awful lot of nonthematic ambience/underscore in there as well. And the themes aren't all that great either.
  5. To be fair to JNH, with the Hunger Games series there aren't exactly a lot of powerful emotional undercurrents and subtexts for his music to latch onto and produce more interesting "underscore" in the contrasting, non-highlight sections of the films. It's pretty much just doom and gloom and grimdark and unrealistically flat characters and relationships. IMO anyway. I know some people see more in the series than I do and I don't mean to try to deflate anyone's enjoyment.
  6. Far worse films than The Hunger Games have received far better scores, so I don't know about that explanation...
  7. Yes, but it is essentially a dystopia story. It doesn't even have an all to too optimistic ending. There is a lot of gloom and melancholy. That given, JNH has done great.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    To be fair to JNH, with the Hunger Games series there aren't exactly a lot of powerful emotional undercurrents and subtexts for his music to latch onto and produce more interesting "underscore" in the contrasting, non-highlight sections of the films. It's pretty much just doom and gloom and grimdark and unrealistically flat characters and relationships. IMO anyway. I know some people see more in the series than I do and I don't mean to try to deflate anyone's enjoyment.

I enjoyed the films a lot. They aren’t high art, but I’d take them over super hero movies any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That would be fine if JNH's subtle atmospheric cues from the Hunger Games scores were actually interesting. wink

yeah
  8. NP: Rain Man (1988) - Hans Zimmer

The Note for Note release arrived. One of the scores that initially triggered my interest in film music. The lack of audio quality of the Preserverence release - which I bout from Thor back then - never bothered me that much. This release of course is certainly an improvement.

Volker
  9. There have been mentions that it's not exactly the same material. Is it true?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. It was made from better, newly discovered sources.
  11. There are complaints the arrangements are different.

I'm not sure I care that much for the source piece or the early "wild" demos.
  12. Yeah, there are some rearrangements of titles and that piano source cue is missing. On the other hand, the album suites are there in great sound quality. As I own all three of the Rain Man CDs I could make a super dooper playlist inducing the pop songs. I won't though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018
    Listening to my Marvel playlist (anyone who says this series doesn't have great themes in it is talking bollocks) and it strikes me that the most traditionally heroic theme in the whole thing is possibly Patrick Doyle's for Thor. (And Silvestri's for Captain America I guess.) Wish there was a great new theme in Infinity War. I've heard people talk about Thanos's theme but I haven't got a clue where that might be on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Few if any say Marvel don't have great themes, but I think most would agree that the overall thematic-verse is disjointed, to put it kindly. They're really banking on Silvestri's Avengers theme, and rightly so, but to your average moviegoer, there aren't any themes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (I've actually heard someone say that. And I don't actually blame them. I blame Marvel.)
  13. PawelStroinski wrote
    There are complaints the arrangements are different.

I'm not sure I care that much for the source piece or the early "wild" demos.

A little correction here: The Piano source Piece is there on the new album. It's called "Charlie tries to Hug Raymond". What you are missing are those two early demos. I wouldn't see that as a problem.

Volker
  14. Oh, great. I don't miss the wild tracks either. Good that it actually has the original album suites though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2018 edited
    Steven wrote
    Few if any say Marvel don't have great themes, but I think most would agree that the overall thematic-verse is disjointed, to put it kindly. They're really banking on Silvestri's Avengers theme, and rightly so, but to your average moviegoer, there aren't any themes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (I've actually heard someone say that. And I don't actually blame them. I blame Marvel.)

I think the "marvel has bad music" attitude that seems so strangely commonplace is the fault of that horrifically ignorant video essay that came out called "The Marvel Symphonic Universe" that got over 4 million views on YouTube, and gets cited whenever people are talking about why "marvel music isn't memorable". The video essay argued Marvel's music isn't memorable because it follows temp tracks and plays with and not against the emotions on screen, which has to be perhaps the worst explanation I can think of... considering how many heavily temp tracked scores rank among the most memorable scores of all time (Star Wars, anyone?) and how many of the most memorable scores do often enunciate what is happening instead of playing against it (Lord of the Rings, anyone?)

There was also a "response" video to that essay that argued that the reason Marvel's music wasn't memorable was because it "didn't have any melodies", which leads me to believe that the creator of the video had not listened to a single marvel score.

Continuity, as Steven pointed out, or the lack of it, seems the much simpler explanation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    Continuity, as Steven pointed out, or the lack of it, seems the much simpler explanation.

It is the correct explanation!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2018
    God of War - Bear McCreary

Having just finished the magnificent game, I'm convinced this is one of the few masterpieces of 2018. The album is a little too long but in game, it is completely flawless, making me tear up on several occasions. Pruning the album down to about an hour makes it a five-star score.

(I also really liked Cloverfield Paradox so this has been a strong McCreary year so far.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2018 edited
    NP: VICEROY'S HOUSE - A. R. RAHMAN

First listen. So far it's probably the finest thing I've heard from him. Actually sounds like a proper score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    NP: VICEROY'S HOUSE - A. R. RAHMAN

First listen. So far it's probably the finest thing I've heard from him. Actually sounds like a proper score.

That's rather offensive to say about one of our time's greatest film composers. He's done many great scores, both pre- and post-Hollywood, but yeah -- I agree that's a great one. One of the best last year in general.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2018 edited
    I'll admit that was intended to be a somewhat flippant remark. I'll also admit that I haven't really heard that much Rahman, particularly his non-Hollywood output.

I adore Indian instrumentation, I'm just not that fond of that whole Bollywood sound which seems to make its way in to a lot of his work I've heard. I'm very open to recommendations!

I'm really loving Viceroy's House and I liked The Hundred-Foot Journey from a couple years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exploring Rahman is like a neverending journey. You never know what gem you'll stumble across (and with more than 170 credits, there's a LOT of stuff to explore).

I'll recommend some titles once I get my music in order.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Some of the Bollywood sound is infectiously good to my musical sensibilities. Some of the rhythms are just so good. But, I find that I have to search hard to find the instrumentals rather than the songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn