• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2018
    I could really do with some Rahman recommendations. I love a lot of what I've heard by him, but I've only scratched the surface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2018
    Lost in Space Bruce Broughton / Don Davis

Lennertz's (I don't know to correctly say that) is great and all, but not this great. This is classic score material. 5 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Don Davis?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, his sound is all over this. I'm not much of a fan of Broughton's other scores, but this one is different -- and the difference is Don Davis. I'm not saying it isn't a Broughton score, it is. But it's filtered through Davis's deft orchestrations. And it's just brilliant; a truly great collaboration between composer and orchestrator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That said, I'm a fan of Tombstone, Silverado, Young Sherlock Holmes, Texas Rising and The Orville. face-palm-mt (However, none of those even skim the surface of Lost in Space for me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is analogous to Basil Poledouris's Starship Troopers. Nothing else in his list of scores comes close to how much I love that score (Robocop is almost there, and Conan I appreciate more than enjoy). This is why I can't say I'm a big Poledouris or Broughton fan.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Southall wrote
    I could really do with some Rahman recommendations. I love a lot of what I've heard by him, but I've only scratched the surface.

I have probably heard 40-50% of his music to Indian films. Most of their music releases feature a limited amount of score, most usually a theme or two. I always recommend Fire and Tian Di Ying Xiong (Warriors of Heaven and Earth), which is a mind blowing score with an unusual mixture of various cultures and spectacular taiko drums.

The trick is to find full score releases and just randomly browse through other works, even if only a single theme is available.
  1. What I find a bit bewildering when it comes to Rahman is that the track listing of Bollywood soundtracks never seems to differentiate between songs and score (if there's any score at all), so I don't know whether an album is worth looking into or not...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, his sound is all over this. I'm not much of a fan of Broughton's other scores, but this one is different -- and the difference is Don Davis. I'm not saying it isn't a Broughton score, it is. But it's filtered through Davis's deft orchestrations. And it's just brilliant; a truly great collaboration between composer and orchestrator.

uhm

But Don Davis didn't even work on this score. The score was orchestrated by William Ross and David Slonaker.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

uhm

But Don Davis didn't even work on this score. The score was orchestrated by William Ross and David Slonaker.

-Erik-

He did. He's "uncredited" as an additional composer / orchestrator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    He did. He's "uncredited" as an additional composer / orchestrator.

Where are you getting this info from?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018 edited
    Imdb lists him, and also the liner notes of the album I believe (although it's in a box somewhere, so I can't be sure). But there's also Don Davis's unmistakable sound. If that isn't him, someone did a good job emulating him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ready Player One (Ant's Custom edit) Alan Silvestri

I love this. Don Davis's orchestrations are brilliant of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Ready Player One (Ant's Custom edit) Alan Silvestri

I love this. Don Davis's orchestrations are brilliant of course.

One of the scores I lost, but have since retrieved digitally. Alas, I also lost my playlist, which made it listenable -- can't remember what it was, so I'll have to re-configure all over again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Imdb lists him, and also the liner notes of the album I believe (although it's in a box somewhere, so I can't be sure). But there's also Don Davis's unmistakable sound. If that isn't him, someone did a good job emulating him!

I see Davis listed on the IMDB but then again, like Wikipedia, anyone can contribute to that page. It's not a reliable source. I can't even count how many times the IMDB has published incorrect information. I think Michael Giacchino was scoring The Force Awakens for two years before Williams was officially announced. And there is no mention of Davis in the liner notes of the album.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, I'm not saying that it's NOT possible. I think it's well-known that he did A LOT of ghostwriting for James Horner in the 90's. I just wish everyone involved would get proper credit so we can stop guessing.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Nicholas Dodd syndrome?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, I'm not saying that it's NOT possible. I think it's well-known that he did A LOT of ghostwriting for James Horner in the 90's. I just wish everyone involved would get proper credit so we can stop guessing.

-Erik-

Yeah. I'd always assumed it was pretty much 100% true given the credits on imdb and that parts of it sound Matrix/Warriors of Virtue-esque. If I'm wrong and he had no involvement, I would be very surprised!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE HISTORY OF ETERNITY (Zbigniew Preisner)

A 12-track promo of this unreleased, gorgeous score from a few years ago. It's highly annoying that so much of Preisner's recent efforts remain unreleased. Especially VALLEY OF SHADOWS, of course, but also this and others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah. I'd always assumed it was pretty much 100% true given the credits on imdb and that parts of it sound Matrix/Warriors of Virtue-esque. If I'm wrong and he had no involvement, I would be very surprised!

The Library of Congress mentions Don Davis as a contributor to Lost in Space. Would they be considered a reliable source?

Format
    Film, Video

Contributors
    Bruce Babcock, Don Davis, Steve Bramson
    Bruce Broughton
    Bruce Broughton, (Additional) Steve Bramson, Bruce Babcock, Don Davis
    Stephen Hopkins

Dates

https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200165614/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How did you even think to visit the library of congress to find this info?!?!?!

-Erik-
  2. Posted at FSM a few minutes ago:

I don't think Bruce would mind my posting this (for clarity's sake), since he shared it freely when I interviewed him for the Intrada release.

"The thing that was different on that movie from other movies was: I didn’t really do my own orchestration. I mean, I did very complete sketches. But I called Bill Ross, and Bill ended up calling Dave Slonaker. Dave did most of the orchestration, and did a great job. But it was just faster, and I had to get help because it was too much music to do on my own.

I’d love to say that I wrote every note from beginning to end. I didn’t. You know, I don’t think anybody does in a case like that. But I’ve never had to get help like I got on this thing before. I never had anybody orchestrate anything for me, ever. And even though it was fairly well laid out, Dave did the work. It wasn’t just like copying my stuff down to his stuff. There were sections there which other people contributed stuff on it mightily. The most work was done by Don Davis. And Don’s great, so he makes me sound good."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Boom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018
    I'm slowly working my way through the massive amount of music from Doctor Who Season 9 that has been released. It's a stunning achievement, but it will be a while before I get my head around everything here! As you might imagine if you've seen the show, "The Shepherd's Boy" is one of the jewels, possibly one of the best pieces of soundtrack music written in years.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. NP STAR TREK TNG Unification (1991) - Dennis McCarthy

Some truly great music was written for that show!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Now playing:

A World Apart (1987) and Rain Man (1988) - Hans Zimmer

I love these scores madly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2018
    I remember having A WORLD APART several years ago. I think I traded it off or something, so I can't have liked it much at the time. Would be willing to give it another shot now.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. It's a bit of a proto-Rain Man score. Interesting from a historical perspective but I don't enjoy it as much as other Zimmer synth scores from the next few years.
  6. I was very taken bay the film A World Apart when I saw it on TV. That might well have been my introduction to Hans Zimmer. Then I was chasing that Rain Man main theme through all record stores available. Everybody knew the tune, no one could place it. Everyone thought it was Vangelis. Such were the times before the internet.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's a bit of a proto-Rain Man score. Interesting from a historical perspective but I don't enjoy it as much as other Zimmer synth scores from the next few years.

I am quite partial to A World Apart myself. I think it remains one of my favorite pre-Lion King scores. Definitely I prefer it to some of his light post-Rain Man dramas... sans Driving Miss Daisy.

Also spot-on about the "proto-Rain Man" - the whole Rain Man score is modelled on the first 2-3 minutes of A World Apart's end credits.

I saw the film recently (for my review), too. It's actually interesting how the score is almost "too big" for the picture - too dynamic, too dramatic. And for some reason, that's exactly why it works. The film is visually quite static and some of the suspense moments in the music ignore that completely.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website