• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018 edited
    The Asteroid Field from a John Williams score

It's that day of the year!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018
    Someone on facebook said:

Pre-Disney:

Any girl making #MayThe4th jokes - MARRY HER

Post-Disney:

Meh

Alas, we can't get married.
  1. Star Wars (1977) - JTW

The Opening fanfare on Disney 2018 and Arista/Fox 1993.
    If my ears don't fool me, these are different takes. But in terms of shear subjective listening pleasure I hear next to no difference, which I find astonishing, given that 25 years have gone by since the Fox Anthology set was released. I haven't compared anything else but so far I would think, that every new fan, who gets the Fox set second hand for a couple of bucks is still very well served.
    In terms of packaging these new releases are a disappointment. No liner notes, no tech talk no nothing.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Star Wars (1977) - JTW

The Opening fanfare on Disney 2018 and Polydor 1977.
    Now, these two sound vastly different. Considering that theses new releases are supposed to be recreations of the original albums, this goes for the content but not for the mix.
  3. Which releases are true to the original movie mixes?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. The original Polydor CDs are IMO. I believe they alone feature the actual movie mixes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2018
    [spoiler]The Avengers 2 Danny Elfman and Brian Tyler

Still my favourite Avengers score. I do enjoy a few of the Tyler tracks, but it's Elfman's music which really gets under my skin.

I thought putting this in spoiler tags would placate Thor and his Marvel embargo...
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    [spoiler]The Avengers 2 Danny Elfman and Brian Tyler

Still my favourite Avengers score. I do enjoy a few of the Tyler tracks, but it's Elfman's music which really gets under my skin.

I thought putting this in spoiler tags would placate Thor and his Marvel embargo...
    [/spoiler]
    '

[spoiler]Agreed, this is my favorite one as well.[/spoiler]
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    The original Polydor CDs are IMO. I believe they alone feature the actual movie mixes.

Actually, they don't. Eric Tomlinson did the mix for the film. John Neal remixed it for the LP.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I see. Does that got for all OT films? They are very close though, aren't they?

The mastering of the 1993 Soundtrack Anthology Set was made by Dan Hersch.
    That of the 1997 Special Editions by Michael Matessino.
    That of the current re-issues by Shawn Murphy.

Or so I understand. The actual film mixes have never been released outside the films? Were they carried over to the Special Edition versions of the films. or did they use the Matessino masters?
    Is there anyone else here who concerns himself with such unnecessary wisdom? smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2018
    Let me introduce to you an article that will answer all of those questions.

http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thanks Erik.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah, thanks Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2018
    NP: BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT (Bill Conti)

Maybe my favourite Conti, and appropriate for the summer temperatures that are envelopping Oslo this week (17-20C).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's little wonder that EMPIRE - of the 6 re-mastered releases - is getting the most criticism. If you read this article then I am surprised that ANY release of this score pleased anyone. It seems like there needed to be so many sources used to create the soundtrack release. And, hearing the complaints now, the source material doesn't seem to have been any easier to come by.

All the various opinions from everyone is just so confusing that I think people need to make their own decisions on how good they sound. So, I plan on hunting down all the CD versions I have for all these scores and taking a listen to them up against the newly released versions.

See you in a few weeks!...
  9. I bought those CDs out of shear collecting frenzy. The prequel scores arrived today, which I didn't intend to buy originally. I'm not an audiophile, and my stereo setup is rather simple. I don't hunt micro edits or so. (Some fellows must have a lot of free time btw.) In my opinion these new releases sound fine and the present us with a nice alternative to the other releases.

Volker
  10. Hans Zimmer - Rain Man

Finally in pristine quality, the Notefornote release delivers where the Perseverance (which I... heard, let's say) didn't.

A nice gift in the mail today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. The Notefornote is outstanding and a major upgrade compared to the Preserverance. I have both (and will keep both) and did a direct comparison. Yes, the latter is lacking in sound quality, but it's really not that bad IMO.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2018
    NP: BABYLON 5 (Christopher Franke)

Can't believe I've had this for almost 25 years. I love the first two B5 soundtracks (was never that interested in the single-episode releases).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2018
    NP: BABYLON 5, VOL. 2 (Christopher Franke)

As good as the first.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018
    Signs James Newton Howard

Hmm, maybe this is his best score? It's certainly got to be one of the M.Night scores at least.
  12. NP: The Civil War (1990)

Traditional songs and melodies from the soundtrack of Ken Burns' masterful and deeply touching documentary.

Volker
  13. NP: Inception (2010) - Hans Zimmer

Fabulous. "Time" has an air of Pink Floyd, has it not?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018
    Steven wrote

Hmm, maybe this is his best score? It's certainly got to be one of the M.Night scores at least.

I would certainly say it's his most 'intelligent' score, but then most of his M. Night scores qualify somewhat.
  14. Signs is a tightly wound masterclass of suspense scoring, but the nature of it is such that I don't rate it among his best for pure listening pleasure. "The Hand of Fate" is a top 10, maybe 5 cue for him though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018 edited
    ONE STRANGE ROCK | daniel pemberton

A few weeks ago I met up with Bob in Antwerp. It was more than 5 years ago we met each other. Time goes fast. One of the things we talked about was the cool scores of Daniel Pemberton. Bob recommended me to listen to One Strange Rock, his latest score, for a National Geographic documentary series. Well, it's another fascinating score. Bob thought it could be the music for Blade Runner: 2049 as well. It's a mix of styles, quite a lot of it is electronic, but it's very listenable. Great atmosphere setting, piano pieces, even some trippy music like in Steve Jobs, ... Another fine work by Pemberton!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Inception (2010) - Hans Zimmer

Volker

A bit, yes. But Zimmer at his most Pink Floydish is the THELMA & LOUISE score (mainly the Gilmour sound).
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Inception (2010) - Hans Zimmer

Volker

A bit, yes. But Zimmer at his most Pink Floydish is the THELMA & LOUISE score (mainly the Gilmour sound).

You speaketh truth, old friend! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Yes. JNH's best score and the best score of the 21st century!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes. JNH's best score and the best score of the 21st century!

-Erik-

suddenly, my thinking that the hunger games is his best score doesn't seem too odd.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.