• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aidabaida wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Signs James Newton Howard

Hmm, maybe this is his best score? It's certainly got to be one of the M.Night scores at least.

Yes. JNH's best score and the best score of the 21st century!

-Erik-

suddenly, my thinking that the hunger games is his best score doesn't seem too odd.

Here we go again ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I think Erik is a bit odd about this one myself, but Signs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Hunger Games
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think Erik is a bit odd about this one myself, but Signs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Hunger Games
    '

heresy!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. I very recently gave the Hunger Games films a proper viewing for the first time. Man, is that stuff depressive! And that forth film is as boring as ten meters of cartway.
    JNH's music works great in context. It reflects the depressive flair of it all though and that is diminishing the listening pleasure away from the films.
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think Erik is a bit odd about this one myself, but Signs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Hunger Games
    '

heresy!

Literally only to you, I think. I mean seriously, own that bizarre opinion as much as you want, but at least acknowledge that it is bizarre...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'd call it a 'minority' opinion in film music circles, but not necessarily bizarre. If you asked people Aidabaida's age about favourite JNHs (to the extent they know JNH at all), you'd be more likely to have HUNGER GAMES mentioned than any of the 80s and 90s favourites that we old fogies hold so dear.

HUNGER GAMES doesn't even break my own Top 20 JNH, I think, but I really like the Silva compilation from a couple of years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I own all four score CDs and modelled the playlist for my music player after the Silva album. It's really great.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Signs James Newton Howard

Hmm, maybe this is his best score? It's certainly got to be one of the M.Night scores at least.

Yes. JNH's best score and the best score of the 21st century!

-Erik-

Erm.... I wouldn't go that far. dizzy But it is damn good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    I'd call it a 'minority' opinion in film music circles, but not necessarily bizarre. If you asked people Aidabaida's age about favourite JNHs (to the extent they know JNH at all), you'd be more likely to have HUNGER GAMES mentioned than any of the 80s and 90s favourites that we old fogies hold so dear.

HUNGER GAMES doesn't even break my own Top 20 JNH, I think, but I really like the Silva compilation from a couple of years ago.

yeah, I much prefer JNH's newer, darker, more electronic and contemporary style to his earlier stuff.

Captain Future wrote
    I very recently gave the Hunger Games films a proper viewing for the first time. Man, is that stuff depressive! And that forth film is as boring as ten meters of cartway.
    JNH's music works great in context. It reflects the depressive flair of it all though and that is diminishing the listening pleasure away from the films.

I thought the second film catching fire was the best of the lot, but the final two ruined the whole "trilogy" for me
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah, I much prefer JNH's newer, darker, more electronic and contemporary style to his earlier stuff.

spin spin spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote

uhm
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. shocked

I'm torn between not wanting to disparage others' tastes and feeling like "this is why we can't have nice things".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2018 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote spin spin spin

Erik Woods wrote

uhm

Morgan Joylighter wrote
    shocked

tune in next time for more tales of terror!
  8. Yeah, you’re probably the only one here who thinks Hunger Games is better than Signs. Signs is really brilliant film scoring. That three note motif works a lot like Williams’ Jaws theme. And the way he writes in three note clusters throughout the score is really cool. Just listen to Hand of Fate again and notice how often he wrote those three note clusters. They’re not just in the alien theme—they’re everywhere! I think it’s amazing how he maintains that theee-note rhythm throughout the piece all while the music changes from scary to triumphant. That’s just fantastic film music.

As for Hunger Games, it never has done much for me. I don’t even think that’s his best recent franchise of film scores. Fantastic Beasts is better, even though there has only been one film! I sincerely hope he can reuse a lot of the themes from that score in the next and create some great new ones. That franchise could become his magnum opus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2018
    I agree with Erik, Signs is JNH's best score, his magnum opus. Not only that this score it's brilliant and works great in the movie but it is also a rewarding listening experience on CD.

Hunger Games has it's great moments but also some not so good parts. I think these scores works much better in a compilation with only the good stuff.

As for Aidabaida's love for Hunger Games I don't find it bizarre but interesting. I'm glad he likes these scores so much.
  9. I really don't get this Signs worship. Sure, it's a brilliant score with countless great moments which work remarkably well, especially with the movie in context, but if I had the choice to pick a "magnum opus", I'd certainly go with something like "King Kong", Wyatt Earp", "Waterworld", "Airbender", "Atlantis"... gosh...
  10. Me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I really don't get this Signs worship. Sure, it's a brilliant score with countless great moments which work remarkably well, especially with the movie in context, but if I had the choice to pick a "magnum opus", I'd certainly go with something like "King Kong", Wyatt Earp", "Waterworld", "Airbender", "Atlantis"... gosh...

yeah I don't understand the Signs worship either. It's not especially rare or difficult for a composer to take a very simple theme and then change the chords beneath it in order to place it into different emotional modes. Plenty of scores do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Signs is a fine score. But not the finest this side of the century. That accolade surely goes to Pain & Gain by Steve Jablonsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Signs is a fine score. But not the finest this side of the century. That accolade surely goes to Pain & Gain by Steve Jablonsky.

finally something everyone can agree on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, no random dissing of PAIN & GAIN!

I think SIGNS is fine, but I've never understood the accolades either. For me, THE VILLAGE is the best of the Shya/JNH collabs. But I'd be hardpressed to put any of them on my top 10 JNH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    All his scores for M Night are great. I even rate The Sixth Sense very highly; another subtle and intelligent work which fortunately doesn’t rely on crashes and bangs to get the mood across.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I think SIGNS is fine, but I've never understood the accolades either.

I'm not sure Erik declaring it the best score since 2000 does it any favours. But to deny it's anything less that very good is nuts.

LSH wrote
    All his scores for M Night are great. I even rate The Sixth Sense very highly; another subtle and intelligent work which fortunately doesn’t rely on crashes and bangs to get the mood across.

I love that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    yeah I don't understand the Signs worship either. It's not especially rare or difficult for a composer to take a very simple theme and then change the chords beneath it in order to place it into different emotional modes. Plenty of scores do that.

That just overly simplified nonsense you're spewing there my friend.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Aidabaida wrote

There's definitely more to it than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm not sure Erik declaring it the best score since 2000 does it any favours. But to deny it's anything less that very good is nuts.

I've defended my position on this score many of times... here AND elsewhere.

I've evaluated thousands of scores since 2000 so I think I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Just in case you need a refresher please check out the following links for my opinions on this masterful score. (I'm sure you guys won't but whatever.)

http://www.cinematicsound.net/best-scor … illennium/
    https://sideshowsoundtheatre.com/2016/1 … igns-2002/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That just overly simplified nonsense you're spewing there my friend.

-Erik-

Signs takes an simple three note rising theme and proceeds to "develop" it by modulating the chord structure beneath it. This achieves a very moving effect on album but it is not especially impressive to me. I have listened to the "best scores of the millenium podcast" and did not hear any explanation of something I had missed in the album. Nearly all praise I have read about the score rests on how Howard's theme can mean "different things at different times."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ That's only part of it! But it takes a very skilled composer to do what Howard did with just those three notes over the course of the two-hour film. Theme and variation at its finest.

-Erik-
  11. It is a very intelligent score done by a highly capable composer. For me it is just not that much of a listening pleasure. It doesn't achieve that mysterious feeling that other minimalistic scores in the realm of science fiction do achieve. But then I just don't like the film and it is always hard for me to get past that when dealing with the music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Top 10 JNH:

1. WATERWORLD
    2. Snow Falling on Cedars
    3. The Saint of Fort Washington
    4. Falling Down
    5. Wyatt Earp
    6. Restoration
    7. Grand Canyon
    8. The Village
    9. Flatliners
    10. The Fugitive

Honourable mentions to MALEFICENT, ATLANTIS, SIGNS, ALIVE, THE POSTMAN, VERTICAL LIMIT.

The truth has been spoken. You can all go to bed now. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.