• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018
    Steven wrote
    I thought the third was the best one, and the first the weakest with its clichéd characters and, well, James Franco (the scores following this ratio). They also named them in the wrong order: the first should be called Dawn, the second War and the third Rise.

what did you like about the third one?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018
    NP: SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY - JOHN POWELL

I don't really know how much more I can add. I just fucking love it.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    God of War - Bear McCreary

Still. It's a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I thought the third was the best one, and the first the weakest with its clichéd characters and, well, James Franco (the scores following this ratio). They also named them in the wrong order: the first should be called Dawn, the second War and the third Rise.

Unsurprisingly, I think the opposite -- quality level sinks a bit from first film to second film to the third film. First one's REALLY good; the other two decent.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The first is a standard (but quite good) Hollywood blockbuster, the other two are a bit more ambitious (having so many scenes play out with nothing but sign language, having much less conventional scores and a much stronger atmosphere). I like them all, but from a purely artistic standpoint I feel like the Matt Reeves ones are a lot more impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

what did you like about the third one?

Its focus on Caesar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The first is a standard (but quite good) Hollywood blockbuster, the other two are a bit more ambitious (having so many scenes play out with nothing but sign language, having much less conventional scores and a much stronger atmosphere). I like them all, but from a purely artistic standpoint I feel like the Matt Reeves ones are a lot more impressive.

I think that description works for the second one but not the third, which didn't strike me as particularly ambitious. They called it "War for the Planet of the Apes" and it was more like "Skirmish for the Village of the Apes". The second movie's battles felt larger scale and more dramatic than the third one's, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't care that much for battles and big scale shenanigans. The great thing about the first film is that it's just at the CUSP of something dark and looming about to happen, with deep mythological issues boiling just beneath the surface of a fairly present-day environment. I like the second and third film too, but they're nowhere near the first. Plus, it has the only decent score of the three, for obvious reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    I don't care that much for battles and big scale shenanigans. The great thing about the first film is that it's just at the CUSP of something dark and looming about to happen, with deep mythological issues boiling just beneath the surface of a fairly present-day environment. I like the second and third film too, but they're nowhere near the first. Plus, it has the only decent score of the three, for obvious reasons.

mostly I agree with you. That first film had that sense of dread, of being at the beginning of something huge. But then when it came time to actually SHOW that huge something, it petered out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2018 edited
    NP: SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY - JOHN POWELL

I can't stay away, I fucking love it. It's almost infuriating how infectious this score is. I'm strangely really proud of Powell - he totally uses Williams' theme as if it were his own; in fact, if I were oblivious to Williams' involvement, I'd have happily believed that Powell composed it himself... that's how well he integrates it into his own style.

But, Christ, I cannot get it out of my head. dizzy
  2. NP Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) - Kevin Kiner; John Williams

The score from the (utterly silly) pilot, that was released on CD. I like this album much better now than I did back then. Maybe I have become more perceptive for Star Wars related music that is not by John Williams. Maybe also because - in my opinion - Kiner has grown in status considerably during the run of Clone Wars and Rebels. So much so, that I wouldn't mind him scoring a cinematic spin off film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018
    NP: SIDEWAYS - ROLFE KENT

Exceptionally laid-back. Love it. cool
  3. NP: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) - Joby Talbot

Talbot doesn't seem to be too prominent a composer, but this album is quite entertaining. It contains some quirky, funny music, a pompous statement of Leadon's Journey of the Sorcerer, a great 8 bit reminiscence to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and a really nice song.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018
    Starting my research for MOSMA 2018.

NP: San Pietro - Marco Frisina

Such a beauty.
  4. NP Jurassic World (2015) - Michael Giacchino

This is a very solid peace of work. The main theme is one of Giacchino's finest. Of course is pales against Williams' original music but that is inevitable.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    NP Jurassic World (2015) - Michael Giacchino

This is a very solid peace of work. The main theme is one of Giacchino's finest. Of course is pales against Williams' original music but that is inevitable.

Volker

ah, I remember listening to Giacchino's main theme from this score a while ago. I was blown away, and it's remained one of my favorite themes ever since.
  5. That theme never did do a whole lot for me I'm afraid. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That theme never did do a whole lot for me I'm afraid. sad

I'm with you. It's might be one of the weakest "themes" he's ever written, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I'm sure it won't change any minds, but here's a nice rendition of Giacchino's theme with a t-rex roar appended to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DdPhDA-0Q

If that's not awesome, I don't know what is :-)
  6. Certain themes or tracks by Giacchino, like "The Jurassic World Turns" and "Night on the Yorktown" have a melancholic vibe to them that resonates deeply with me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aidabaida wrote
    I'm sure it won't change any minds, but here's a nice rendition of Giacchino's theme with a t-rex roar appended to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DdPhDA-0Q

If that's not awesome, I don't know what is :-)

Mehtacular!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018 edited
    OCEAN’S 8 - Daniel Pemberton

Lot’s of fun. Pemberton succeeds in maintaining Holmes’ cool blend of big band and modern jazz, but somehow makes it more fun in a way that works better for me. This is also thanks to the more organic feel in tracks like the addictive NYC Larceny. Like Holmes’ originals it doesn’t quite work as a narrative and is more of a collage of fun tracks, but this is perfect summer music.
  7. NP: DOCTOR WHO: Series 9 (2018) - Murray Gold

A whooping 4 CD set, 62 tracks, adding up to more than 2.5 hours of music. I'll break this down to a manageable playlist. But that will have to wait for some rainy Sunday.

So far Series 5 was the all I had of Murray's musical WHO universe. I was never the biggest fan, seeing the music a bit on the easy listening side. Anyway, while watching some episodes of series 9 I got so impressed with the score, that I decided do add this release to my collection.

Volker
  8. "Easy listening"? confused
  9. Yes. Not unpleasant to listen to but without any lasting effect. Elevator muzak, so to speak. But there are great tracks to be found in all these WHO scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes. Not unpleasant to listen to but without any lasting effect. Elevator muzak, so to speak. But there are great tracks to be found in all these WHO scores.

I guess i could see how the more overtly comedic or whimsical tracks could come off that way. But what I love about Gold's music is how he'll transition from burping tubas to haunting dramatics within the span of 30 seconds, making the listener see both in a different light; not everything is as it seems.
  10. Comparing Series 5 with Series 9, it seems, that the music has gained more gravitas, as the episodes themselves seem to veer towards a more serious tone. Admittedly I don't follow the Doctor's ways too closely.

Oh, and my favourite track from this release is "A Duty of Care". That cue made my jaw drop when I saw "Hell Bent".
  11. NP: The Untouchables (1987) - Ennio Morricone

The LLL expanded album. I recently revisited the film. While it is a great film in itself the score makes for 50% of its impact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Untouchables (1987) - Ennio Morricone

The LLL expanded album. I recently revisited the film. While it is a great film in itself the score makes for 50% of its impact.

yeah I agree. I really like the soaring, beautiful music during the bloody bridge shootout.
  12. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Giacchino

Just finished my first listen to the album and I think I'm going to like this, looking forward to hearing it in context when I see the film later today. That said, what the hell has he done to the 'Jurassic Park' theme at the start of the end credits?! The florid swirling music that's been added around the solo trumpet completely undercuts what worked to make the original so simple, noble, adventurous and elegant. It's truly grotesque!