• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. John Chambers wrote
    That said, what the hell has he done to the 'Jurassic Park' theme at the start of the end credits?! The florid swirling music that's been added around the solo trumpet completely undercuts what worked to make the original so simple, noble, adventurous and elegant. It's truly grotesque!

Oh Thor's going to love that. cheesy
  2. I don't see a physical release on amazon.de. Is it a digital only release in Europe?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018
    Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom Michael Giacchino

About half way through, and it's a bit of a trudge. Though first listens can be deceiving, so we'll see...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018 edited
    Steven wrote
    Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom

You’re also ignoring Jurassic Park III?

Good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    That said, what the hell has he done to the 'Jurassic Park' theme at the start of the end credits?! The florid swirling music that's been added around the solo trumpet completely undercuts what worked to make the original so simple, noble, adventurous and elegant. It's truly grotesque!

Oh Thor's going to love that. cheesy

Totally agreed with that. But I disagree with the rest of John's post. It's an abysmal score with no redeeming features whatsoever. So bad it's offensive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018 edited
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a better film than I expected - there are some truly spine-tingling moments - but the plot is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID.

Ever since they started introducing these two-dimensional pantomime human antagonists (and a distinct over-reliance on physical comedy), the franchise has continued to descend into total farce.

Kudos to J.A. Bayona, though, for managing to squeeze an ounce of genuine horror into some of the sequences. The rest is ultimately forgettable... and ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID. To a point where “Oh for fuck’s sake” was uttered by my mouth - perhaps a touch too audibly - several times during the screening. No rewatch value whatsoever.

Giacchino’s score manages to support the edged-in gothic power of the film’s highlight final act but, again, it feels far too ordinary elsewhere. But then, I admit, I haven’t listened to the album yet.

Final verdict: ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUPID
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom

You’re also ignoring Jurassic Park III?

Good.

Accidently, yes. I genuinely forgot there was a third. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2018
    I am so sorry for reminding you sad.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

There are some career-best cues here (the end credits suite in particular) but as usual with Giacchino, he pads the soundtrack with too many suspense cues (especially in the middle). Take some of the opening cues and most of the ending ones and you'll have a tight, forty minute listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    jb1234 wrote
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

There are some career-best cues here (the end credits suite in particular) but as usual with Giacchino, he pads the soundtrack with too many suspense cues (especially in the middle). Take some of the opening cues and most of the ending ones and you'll have a tight, forty minute listen.

I was left a little underwhelmed by it. Again, first listens can be deceptive, but I certainly didn't get that immediate and visible smile on my face as I did when I first heard Solo. The Jurassic Park theme tacked on the end just comes out of nowhere, and is a bit jarring compared to the mostly atonal noise that came before it.

This certainly won't do wonders for Thor's opinion on Giacchino...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like it and look forward to listening to it a lot more. "Jurassic Pillow Talk" is a wonderful cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost in Space Christopher Lennertz

One of the better scores of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've decided that I'm not only going to hate Giacchino to the end of time. I'm also going to hate anyone who likes his music in any shape or form. :D
    I am extremely serious.
  3. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Incredibles 2 Michael Giacchino

Another not-so-impressive first listen to a new Giacchino sequel score. It seems to lack the energy of the first, and there isn't much interesting new material as far as I can tell.

So far, I'm disappointed with Giacchino's 2018 scores.
  4. NP: Beloved (1998) - Rachel Portman

One of the composer's most unique and also most beautiful scores.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018 edited
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Michael Giacchino

Now that I'm in the mood for it, it's faring much better. The album is a tad long, and is a bit too much action (I'm getting old). But it's appropriately epic and, well, jurassic.

The tacked on Williams theme is still jarring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2018
    Solo John Powell John Williams

It's hard to compare this to other Star Wars scores since, for the most part, this is Powell's voice through-and-through (and all the better for it). But I'm tempted to call it my favourite Disney Star Wars score, even including The Force Awakens. Perhaps. Maybe. It's very close at least. It certainly has the best theme from Williams for these new batch of films.

It's insanely good.
  5. I don't think Han's theme is as good as Rey's, but otherwise I agree with everything you just said. It may be my favorite Star Wars score since Return of the Jedi. It's also my second-favorite Powell score behind only the first How to Train Your Dragon (and better than the second). I've listened to it more than most of 2017 and 2018's other scores put together.

It's the kind of score that reaffirms my love of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Solo John Powell John Williams

It's hard to compare this to other Star Wars scores since, for the most part, this is Powell's voice through-and-through (and all the better for it). But I'm tempted to call it my favourite Disney Star Wars score, even including The Force Awakens. Perhaps. Maybe. It's very close at least. It certainly has the best theme from Williams for these new batch of films.

It's insanely good.

yeah it's really, really good. I was surprised how much I liked it, especially the action music, which feels a bit like, How To Train Your Jason Bourne
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's brilliant, but better than Force Awakens!? And Han's Theme better than Rey's (or March of the Resistance, or Jedi Steps, for that matter)!? That's fighting talk...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2018
    I don’t think I could fairly compare it to the rest of the Star Wars canon - on account of it being so different - but I will say that, for me, it is hands down the most enjoyable score I’ve listened to in quite a few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For me The Force Awakens, The Phantom Menace and Solo are tied. The OT will ALWAYS be the superior music and then TFA/TPM/SOLO. ROTS, RO, and TLJ are bunch together in the lower tier. AOTC is the bastard child that we should just bury and forget ever happened. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Southall wrote
    It's brilliant, but better than Force Awakens!? And Han's Theme better than Rey's (or March of the Resistance, or Jedi Steps, for that matter)!? That's fighting talk...

The Force Awakens is magnificent, but there's a freshness and "youthful" energy to Solo that sets it above for me. You just get the sense that Powell truly relished every second of getting to play around in that universe, whereas Force Awakens (and even moreso The Last Jedi) has more of a "haul the old pro out of retirement for one last job" feel. Not stale, exactly, but not quite the same kid-in-candy-shop reckless abandon that I love either.

And even if the rest of Attack of the Clones sounded like a Trent Reznor score, I wouldn't want to forget about it for "Across the Stars" alone! (But I know your feelings about that one, Erik..."take out half an hour of amazing music and the score sucks!"...well you could say that about a lot of highly-regarded scores tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    ...OT ... TFA/TPM/SOLO. ROTS, RO, and TLJ ...AOTC...

This hurt my brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

knight
  7. I’ve been enjoying Solo a lot but for me it doesn’t come anywhere close to a single John Williams Star Wars score, they’re in another league entirely and I don’t think it’s even fair to compare them!
  8. I disagree quite strongly. I think Solo and The Last Jedi stand as exemplars of the two possible routes that Star Wars music can take in the (eventually Williams-less) future - one conservative and backwards-looking and overly beholden to nostalgia, the other fresh and exciting with just the right amount of respect for what has come before. I know which one I prefer.

(Although I'm not saying The Last Jedi is a bad score, far from it. It just has a startling lack of ambition compared to most of the others in the franchise...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    AOTC is the bastard child that we should just bury and forget ever happened.

if only for the arena cues and across the stars, this score easily earns its place alongside the other William's scores, imo! but in the lower tier, sure, there with Rogue One and Phantom Menace and Last Jedi.

also, AOTC has one of my favorite Star Wars Music Moments ever, where "Across the Stars" swells up into "Duel of the Fates". Goosebumps! Every time! :-)
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO (Hildur Gudnadottir)

In the same style of Jóhann's score for the first film; lots of low, dark drones. But somehow done with captivating intensity and a surprising amount of detail. Not something I'll play very often, but I can't wait to hear it in context of the movie.
    I am extremely serious.