• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2018
    Ferdinand John Powell

Gloriously upbeat and Spanishy. Powell should have scored Coco. It's a shame he hasn't scored a Pixar film yet given all the animation scores he written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2018 edited
    SAVING MR. BANKS - THOMAS NEWMAN

This one didn't grab me when I first listened to it five years ago(!) but this is clearly Newman very close to the top of his game. There are lovely echoes of early Newman in here too. Really enjoying this at last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2018
    NP: MARY SHELLEY (Amelia Warner)

Not too keen on the "suspense" tracks, but the rest is beautiful. Definitely one of the year's highlights.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018 edited
    NP: THE INCREDIBLES 2 (Michael Giacchino)

Not as offensively bad as most of MG's other efforts, but still way too intense (enough with the screaming brass already...this is like FLUBBER all over again!) and lacking in dynamic. Give me Daniel Pemberton's OCEAN'S 8 any day of the week!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    enough with the screaming brass already

He says about an Incredibles score... face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018 edited
    Yeah, I know what they're about, and the Barry/Bond pastiche and all that, but at least Barry had SOME restraint in that arena (although I'm no big fan of his Bond stuff either). David Arnold solved this much better with his own Bond scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I agree that there’s too much screaming brass. The original had just the right amount of that, but the sequel over did it, I think.
  3. PAN - John Powell

Been in a big Powell phase recently since Solo. This one is a new favorite. Film music doesn't really get better than "Flying Ship Fight".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE INCREDIBLES 2 (Michael Giacchino)

Not as offensively bad as most of MG's other efforts, but still way too intense (enough with the screaming brass already...this is like FLUBBER all over again!) and lacking in dynamic. Give me Daniel Pemberton's OCEAN'S 8 any day of the week!

Agree with you.

I loved the original but this one was too much. Very irritating.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Out of the Shadows - Christopher Gordon

I love the sound of the cello and this score has them in spades!

Not heard much from Gordon in a few years and this is a great return. The 13-minute "Baal" is excellent!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2018
    Steven wrote
    Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom Michael Giacchino

About half way through, and it's a bit of a trudge. Though first listens can be deceiving, so we'll see...

... and it was. I think the problem is the album, not the score. The new themes are, after a bit of getting used to, very good. I like this a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2018
    if you can make it through "Building the Crate" from Chicken Run without grinning, you have no emotion.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  5. NP: Lost in Space (2018) - Christopher Lennertz

The CD arrived from over the pond.
    Now this is a fun ride, dripping with nostalgia. For what it wants to be, it is very well done.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018
    STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

The expanded, obviously. There is so much to discover in here; moments of genuine beauty and awe. Each listen is an event. Love it.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

The expanded, obviously. There is so much to discover in here; moments of genuine beauty and awe. Each listen is an event. Love it.

cool

Every moment of this score is brilliant. In my top 5 scores of all time easily.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES - Michael Kamen

Giving the recent 2017 Intrada release a spin. Great brass writing! I very much appreciate having the opening fanfare theme as its own track, rather than on the original release where it had "From Chains to Freedom" tagged onto it afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018 edited
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

Every moment of this score is brilliant. In my top 5 scores of all time easily.

Abso-bloody-lutely, me too mate.

William Bard wrote
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Michael Kamen)

Giving the recent 2017 Intrada release a spin. Great brass writing! I very much appreciate having the opening fanfare theme as its own track, rather than on the original release where it had "From Chains to Freedom" tagged onto it afterwards.

Not my favourite from Kamen (though I haven't heard the expanded and have never ever considered re-visiting the film slant), but it's a good one.

I sorely miss his talent though; he died far far too early. His contributions to pop music were excellent also.
    Kate Bush will tell you... she loved him.

[For instance, in Bush's Moments Of Pleasure he provides one of the most gorgeous orchestral arrangements I've ever heard in a song.

https://youtu.be/pW5hjWVS3ho?t=81

https://youtu.be/wN29Fgj0uVI (instrumental version - if you want to hear his orchestrations more clearly)

Ironically (now), the song is written in memory of several deceased folk (as well as her mother, who was terminally ill at the time it was recorded) whom Kate had associated with throughout her career. It's a song of heartfelt loss that always makes me tear up.]
  7. Both he and Horner should still be around. Too bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018 edited
    Everyone has to leave the stage at some point unfortunately, no matter the timing. At least they've left something that will live on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    LSH wrote

cool

So true. Quite simply a masterpiece!
  8. FERDINAND - John Powell

Can't stop listening to "Flower Festival"! punk
  9. NP: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) - Michael Giacchino

I think, my reactions to new Giacchino scores have become as predictable as are Thor's. Just to the reverse: I'm loving it!

Some of the action cues are a bit dragging. I could probably have done fine with a 60 minutes program, as opposed to the actual 75 minutes of music. A luxury problem. Especially Giacchino's choral work is hauntingly beautiful.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2018
    I agree, I'm loving this score after a few more listens. It's much more epic than the first. Great end-of-the-world-dino music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2018 edited
    SIDEWAYS - ROLFE KENT

14 years later and this score still does an excellent job of quenching (pun intended) the musical needs of a warm lazy evening. In fact - given the beautiful weather that shows no sign of ending this summer - it's been on rather a lot lately!

cool
  10. ENDURANCE - John Powell

The last score to listen to before I can say I've listened to all of John Powell's commercially released score albums. (Now gotta hunt down and listen to the FYC's/promos!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2018 edited
    THE NEW WORLD - JAMES HORNER

One of my favourite 'time-for-sleep' scores. I love this, it's like a 'grown-up' Spitfire Grill.

sleep cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2018
    Ant-Man and the Wasp Christophe Beck

The Wasp's theme lives up to expectations.
  11. I wrote about John Scott's rejected demos for "Clan of the Cave Bear" here:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 589#Item_4

Now pone of the demos has been posted:
    http://picosong.com/wfPT8/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2018 edited
    NP : ANT-MAN AND THE WASP - Christophe Beck

Sounds good, promising so far.
  12. PAYCHECK - John Powell

Just saw the movie and was pleasantly surprised by the score. Had listened through it once or twice before (including endless repeats of "Hog Chase Part 2"), but now it's time to return to it knowing the context/aesthetic.