• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2018 edited
    Solo John Powell / Williams

In the language of memes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2018 edited
    In fact, I feel a list coming on...

Best scores*:

1) Solo - John Powell (& John Williams)

2) Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri

3) Jurassic Park 5: Jurassic World 2: The Lost Fallen Kingdom World - Michael Giacchino

4) Ant Man & The Wasp - Christophe Beck

5) Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

(And James Newton Howard's Red Sparrow suite gets an honourable mention... rest of the score is standard JNH thriller filler.)

Worst scores*:

Fallout - Lorne Balfe
    Pacific Rim Uprising - Lorne Balfe
    12 Strong - Lorne Balfe
    The Hurricane Heist - Lorne Balfe
    Tomb Raider - Junkie XL

*so far, of course

And for those lazy fucks who like to abbreviate things:

S - JP&JW
    RPO - AS
    JP5JW2TLFKW - MG
    AM&TW - CB
    BP - LG

F - LB
    PRU - LB
    12S - LB
    THH - LB
    TR - JXL
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2018
    I'd add Ocean's 8 to the "best of" list too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, yes. That's a good choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    In fact, I feel a list coming on...

Best scores*:

1) Solo - John Powell (& John Williams)

2) Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri

3) Jurassic Park 5: Jurassic World 2: The Lost Fallen Kingdom World - Michael Giacchino

4) Ant Man & The Wasp - Christophe Beck

5) Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

just replace ready player one with infinity war and the board will give you level 5 clearance
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ready Player One > Infinity War in this household. I'd put something else on the list instead of Black Panther but otherwise it's an excellent one.

Hard to argue the other end of the table.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I find that I have only a marginal interest in a couple of the scores Steven mentions. My favorites of the year lie elsewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I bet you're going to love the new Mission Impossible then. It's one of the worst scores for a major franchise in years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018
    I doubt it.

I really have very limited interest in the big franchise/blockbuster things that everyone raves about around here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018
    Mission Impossible: Fallout - Lorne Balfe

First 10 minutes in and I want to cry in a corner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018
    Mission Impossible: Fallout Lorne Balfe

Brexit, Trump, now this. How did it comes to this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Wow. First reactions to this score are even more negative than I expected they would be. Oh dear. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think it's boring more than it's outright bad. 90-odd minutes of album, at least three quarters of which must be repeats of the Dark Knight action ostinato.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If it was outright bad, at least it would be noticeable. But it's worse than outright bad, it's boring like you say.

To go from what I think is the best Mission Impossible score to this is insanity.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018 edited
    It is beyond outright bad. It is one of the worst scores I have ever heard.

This is apparently an acceptable standard.

Meanwhile, this is music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I did come to it after listening to Steve Jablonsky’s Skyscraper, which is so pathetic it defies belief.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    As if Balfe's score wasn't unlistenable enough, there's even an album of remixes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2018
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

To use Tom Cruise himself as an analogy, it's like that scene in Minority Report where he eats a maggot-ridden sandwich along with rotten milk and mercifully finds a tub of water to wash it down. This score is that refreshing water to the rotten food that is Fallout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Southall wrote
    I did come to it after listening to Steve Jablonsky’s Skyscraper, which is so pathetic it defies belief.

I found Skyscraper better since I did it the other way around! :D (And yes, that one is forgettable as well)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Mission Impossible: Fallout

“Ethan! Ethan! Why is he running, Dad?”

“Because we have to chase him. He’s the hero the IMF deserves... but not the one it needs right now.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Some men just like to see the world burn.... by hiring Lorne Balfe.
  1. NP: Movie Classics: The Music of Ennio Morricone & Hugo Montenegro

I was dimly aware those recordings existed. I recently read, that these recordings got played on the radio quite a bit back in the day and that for many who didn't see the Leone films in the cinema, those recordings were actually the first exposure to the Italo Western music of Morricone. I prefer the originals for being more wild and anarchist, but these recordings are fine alternatives nevertheless.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Movie Classics: The Music of Ennio Morricone & Hugo Montenegro

I was dimly aware those recordings existed. I recently read, that these recordings got played on the radio quite a bit back in the day and that for many who didn't see the Leone films in the cinema, those recordings were actually the first exposure to the Italo Western music of Morricone. I prefer the originals for being more wild and anarchist, but these recordings are fine alternatives nevertheless.

Volker

Great album!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2018 edited
    I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks (holiday), but the Balfe backlash has me tantalized. I've always appreciated his work; this might just be for me. I'll let you know in a couple of days (I'm sure you're all trembling with anticipation). Anything non-Giacchino for the M:I franchise has me perked.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2018
    I haven't been able to get past the first 6 cues. They were more than enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY - JOHN POWELL

Now this is what modern film music should sound like. I FUCKING LOVE THIS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2018 edited
    the soundtrack to the first Jurassic World is one of my favorites of the 2010s, so when I cued up the fallen kingdom album tonight I expected a lot. I made it 40 minutes before I turned in the towel. The soaring melancholy beauty of the original only returned once or twice and in between was endless... endless... endless bars of simplistic, brutish, dull, unmemorable, anonymous action/suspense music.

Thor has a point about (some of) Giacchino's recent music. never thought i would say that.
  2. smile The first Jurassic World score was bridge from Williams to Giacchino. The second one is Giacchino coming into his own.

The soaring melancholy beauty of the original only returned once or twice ...

You probably are referring to Giacchino's own gorgeous Main Theme here, which I also would have hoped to have been applied more often.

...between was endless... endless... endless bars of simplistic, brutish, dull, unmemorable, anonymous action/suspense music.

Agreed. The suspense material in the middle part is dragging. Still I love most of the score, which - so far - I have not experienced in context. My personal highlights are the choral parts.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you go in expecting wonder, like I foolishly did on my first listen, you will be disappointed. What it is is epic, end-of-the-world music. The big theme for the volcano/island/indo-raptor (??) is fantastic. This is one of Giacchino's best.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Although I was quick to label it as "disappointing", I have come around to it. It's great, and better than Jurassic World. Tracks like "Go With The Pyroclastic Flow", "Raiders Of The Lost Isla Nublar" and "Jurassic Pillow Talk" are just excellent.

Although my enjoyment of Giacchino's scores has wavered recently, hearing the new Mission: Impossible score really put into context how much better something like Fallen Kingdom is.