• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    American Dream Thomas Bergersen

Those who bemoan the Current State of Film Music™ will probably appreciate this. Think Joel McNeely in the 90s scoring a western/Americano* film.

*americana not americano face-palm-mt

Great composition. Shitty artificial-sounding mix/"performance".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2018
    Yes it's a bit of a shame, but the music itself shines through. Sounds like it's from a different era of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2018
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018 edited
    Score of the Orient A Bouhafa

Spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018
    STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Spock-tacular.
  2. The Spectacular Now - Rob Simonsen

Meh!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Spectacular Now - Rob Simonsen

Meh!

One of my favourites in recent times!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2018 edited
    Winnie the Pooh - Henry Jackman

One of his very best. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about it is how authentically old school the orchestrations and recording make it sound and feel. It could almost be the rediscovered score from a vintage Disney animation of decades ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Spectacular Now - Rob Simonsen

Meh!

One of my favourites in recent times!

Trust you to ruin a string of spectacularisms.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2018
    The Meg - Harry Gregson-Williams

A surefire guilty pleasure for years to come. The mostly organic action music is fantastic - some of the best he's ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2018
    I have a promo of that, but haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to the film; looks like a lot of fun.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

Those who bemoan the Current State of Film Music™ will probably appreciate this. Think Joel McNeely in the 90s scoring a western/Americano* film.

Cool! Thanks for making me aware of this. I see on the album that track 1 is a 44 min. "continuous mix." Is it just the titular track on a loop, or is the whole album on a single track, or what is that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Titanic (1997) - James Horner

Essentially the original album augmented with
    - A Building Panic
    - The Portrait (Piano Solo)
    - and Nearer my God to Thee. (Is there a version without dialogue?)

I omitted all the stuff later recorded with the London Symphony, since I am not too fond of that material.

This is one of my all time favourite scores. Even so, I am fine with that playlist and don't see the necessity to pay 70 Euros for the La-La-Land edition.

Volker

It's worth noting that A Building Panic - as presented in the new album - is a completely different cue (the original is there too though). That piece, together with Trapped On 'D' Deck, offer around 16 minutes of previously unreleased (and pretty excellent) music from the sinking sequences... which were pretty much the only missing moments from the score I really wanted for ages.

Probably not worth the expense but great stuff to have nonetheless.
  4. christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

Cool! Thanks for making me aware of this. I see on the album that track 1 is a 44 min. "continuous mix." Is it just the titular track on a loop, or is the whole album on a single track, or what is that?

It's a single 44-minute composition, the album offers it first as one track and then again, split up into many tracks that flow into each other uninterrupted. (I actually ended up taking the third option of hacking the single cue into parts of my choosing that didn't quite line up with Mr. Bergersen's... tongue )
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2018
    Demolition Man - Elliott Goldenthal

It's been years since I've listened to this. Even better than I remembered, it's half an hour of dazzling brilliance. Could listen to cues like 'Machine Waltz' all day long.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2018
    The Darkest Minds - Benjamin Wallfisch

A major disappointment upon first listen. Virtually all the action music is overlaid with generic, simplistic electronics. Especially disheartening when you know how good his purely orchestral writing can be.
  5. LSH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Titanic (1997) - James Horner

Essentially the original album augmented with
    - A Building Panic
    - The Portrait (Piano Solo)
    - and Nearer my God to Thee. (Is there a version without dialogue?)

I omitted all the stuff later recorded with the London Symphony, since I am not too fond of that material.

This is one of my all time favourite scores. Even so, I am fine with that playlist and don't see the necessity to pay 70 Euros for the La-La-Land edition.

Volker

It's worth noting that A Building Panic - as presented in the new album - is a completely different cue (the original is there too though). That piece, together with Trapped On 'D' Deck, offer around 16 minutes of previously unreleased (and pretty excellent) music from the sinking sequences... which were pretty much the only missing moments from the score I really wanted for ages.

Probably not worth the expense but great stuff to have nonetheless.

I checked out the material on YouTube and thought that "Trapped on D Deck" is highly redundant of "The Sinking". The cue "2.5 miles down" is great in context but of little interest away from the film.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

It's a single 44-minute composition, the album offers it first as one track and then again, split up into many tracks that flow into each other uninterrupted. (I actually ended up taking the third option of hacking the single cue into parts of my choosing that didn't quite line up with Mr. Bergersen's... tongue )

Thanks! I gave tracks 2-19 a listen and figured that must be what that first track is, since all those tracks flow from one to the next. It's an impressive composition. Joel McNeely is a really good comparison. A lot of the first part of this album does sound like Iron Will. Copeland is a clear inspiration later on, as is Vivaldi, I think. It's kind of odd to hear Bergersen try to channel those sounds through his normal compositional style. It doesn't always work for me, but there are some really nice pieces of music on this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018
    There's also John Williams and John Powell in there too. Like you, not all of it works for me, but there are more than enough genuinely excellent moments to warrant repeated listens (despite it being a little exhausting, somewhat of a staple of Bergersen's music).
  7. That's a good assessment. I'll be coming back to it as well.

NP: DEATH OF A NATION - Dennis McCarthy/John Beal

Hearing positive things about this score despite the premise of the film, I decided to give it a go. I'm nearly done with it now and I actually haven't hear much that I liked. "Democratic Plantation" was nice. (Even the track titles are smear jobs rolleyes) "Soros" is nice. Other than that I haven't found much to like.

Before this I was listening to CHRISTOPHER ROBIN (Zanelli/Brion). There's not a whole lot going on there, unfortunately. A few nice tracks, especially toward the end, but most of the music was uneventful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    half expecting D'Souza to just blare the imperial march whenever soros is mentioned
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  8. Aidabaida wrote
    half expecting D'Souza to just blare the imperial march whenever soros is mentioned

It sounds more like Schindler’s List, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not even going to listen to it, as the whole thing disgusts me.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. The front cover has to be one of the most off-putting things I've ever seen.
  10. I read about the film earlier today. What a freak show!

Volker
  11. Lo chiamavano Trinità / Die rechte und die linke Hand des Teufels (1970) - Franco Micalizzi

…continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità / Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja (1971) - Guido & Maurizio de Angelis

I grew up on Bud Spencer and Terence Hill. Always loved the music of these films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2018
    NP: JACK THE BEAR (James Horner)

Can't get enough of Horner in this mode.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. NP: KRULL (1983) - James Horner

Sounds like a mixture of Willow and Star Trek. Appealing. I listen to the extended single CD presentation by Southern Cross, distilled from the 2 CD set.

Volker

My cover for this album:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3itr3o4beyr57 … r.jpg?dl=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: KRULL (1983) - James Horner

Sounds like a mixture of Willow and Star Trek. Appealing. I listen to the extended single CD presentation by Southern Cross, distilled from the 2 CD set.

I just reprogrammed my 2CD set to the old Southern Cross programme, and hope that will increase my appreciation of this score immensely.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2018
    There were two Southern Cross programmes. It's the shorter one you want. Score is nothing short of magnificent in that form.