• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LSH wrote
    E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL - JOHN WILLIAMS

Is, and always will be, timeless. What an absolute masterpiece.

cool

Stoned as you was, you took flight yourself, right? biggrin Anyway:

NP: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - John Williams

I got the 3-disc La-La-Land edition some weeks ago. I was never very happy with the original album, so I bought this expansion. The score presentation runs for slightly more than two hours. The first hour of which is technically brilliant but largely atmospheric music, that makes for not too easy listening. Parts of it sound like contemporary classical music rather than filmmusic.
    I am now listening to a 85 minutes edit, based on a playlist suggested by Jason Leblanc. That's still quite a bit of music but it does seem to work really fine.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. "Back to the Future [1]"
    By: Silvestri

My own personal edit and arrangement of the score from the sold out 2CD from Intrada. Listened to it three or four times from start to finish. Still have it in the CD player. Certain people can cry "Nostalgia" over the reason for the love of the score all they want, but some of us know differently.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2018
    THE HELP - THOMAS NEWMAN

Very gentle... very Newman. Not a massive highlight in his career but a solidly predictable one.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2018
    Operation Finale - Alexandre Desplat

Follows his brilliant and unique score for Isle of Dogs with yet another masterful new work. The opener, 'Operation Finale', is a stunner. By the time you get to the fuller orchestral version at the end it sounds even better if that's possible. Action cues like 'Race to the Airport' and'Air Control' are highlights too though there's little padding on what is close to another 5 star score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2018
    Been looking forward to the film. Didn't know Desplat scored it. Sounds good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2018
    PAY IT FORWARD - THOMAS NEWMAN

Only listening for one cue, Sleepover, which is one of the most delicate and haunting pieces that Newman has ever written. And that is saying something. Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2018 edited
    A TALE OF GOD'S WILL: A REQUIEM FOR KATRINA - TERENCE BLANCHARD

Beautiful stuff.

Track 4, Ashé, is one of the most gorgeous fucking pieces of music I have ever heard. Seriously.
  3. Bear McCreary - Cloverfield Paradox

A fantastic, completely overlooked SF score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2018
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bear McCreary - Cloverfield Paradox

A fantastic, completely overlooked SF score.

Not seen the film. I shall check out the score which I've not heard yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The film is reportedly bad and I haven't seen it. But I've listened to it recently for research (a radio programme I was supposed to record with a friend about the Mission: Impossible scores, turned into three recordings, including one about McCreary's career, that was... an interesting experience), but the score is as classically sounding as a today SF horror score can including a few great action cues (Spacewalk!) and a corker of a love theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2018
    The film is indeed a miss, especially given the quality of the first CLOVERFIELD films. And the intriguing premise. But the score might be good; I can't remember.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2018
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Alexandre Desplat

One of his most beautiful albums I think.
  5. NP: Arizona Dream (1993) - Goran Bregovic & Iggy Pop

Sublime film and a grandiose score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2018 edited
    NP: CASTAWAY (Stanley Myers & Hans Zimmer)

Very nice stuff from Zimmer and his mentor before he became a mentor himself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2018
    NP: SPANGLISH (Hans Zimmer)

With a few exceptions, I'm not really too keen on Zimmer's 'fluffy' drama/comedy scores. But this is an exception. Pretty good for such a stupid movie.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I think this and As Good Is Gets is some of the best orchestral writing he's done. And I'm very partial to As Good As It Gets as a film.
  7. I gave David Buckley's score for PAPILLON a listen this morning. It has some of the nicest choral writing I've heard in a while, but I didn't enjoy much of the rest of the album. It's also sorely missing a certain theme by Jerry Goldsmith...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018
    NP: SPIRIT - STALLION OF THE CIMARRON (Hans Zimmer)

Wow, why haven't I properly sampled this before, I wonder? It's wonderful.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I love that score. Even though it's so synthy and dated-sounding and arguably cheesy, Zimmer somehow manages to get such a warm, organic sound out of his samples for that one (I usually find orchestral samples to sound much colder than the real thing). It's just overflowing with lovely melodies, too. Wish he'd do something like it again sometime, though he's so obsessed with darkness these days that I wonder if he even still could.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018 edited
    Yeah, it's not likely that we'll ever hear another score of this kind from Zimmer -- those wild prog rock chord changes and percussive effects, shameless extrovert melodies and using the orchestral samples only as colourization, not an end in itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Give me dark, thoughtful Zimmer over cheesy Zimmer any day (although I do understand why the opposite is true for many). And if Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II are the future of Zimmer's melodic side, then I'm all for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sure, I love me some INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, RUSH, DA VINCI CODE, MAN OF STEEL, THIN RED LINE and so on -- but 9 times out of 10, I will always come back to the more extrovert, playful, visceral style that was particularly prevalent before the millennium turnover. That's Zimmer for me. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018 edited
    NP: INVINCIBLE (Hans Zimmer)

Another new "wow" discovery from his back catalogue. Large and powerful! Wagnerian.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: RAN (1984) - Toru Takemitsu

Entry no 1100 in my collection.
    I was of course aware of Akira Korusawa, which Star Wars fan isn't? I was dimly aware of Toru Takemitsu. I have to admit that Japanese composers in general are not very well represented in my collection.
    I saw parts of the film on TV not too long ago, but snapped away during commercial breaks, so, not the due attention here. The music left an impression anyhow.
    I now was made aware of things anew by Craig Lysy's review of the expanded Silva Screen release on moviemusic.uk. It a grand and complex symphonic composition that seamlessly brings together Japanese and Western musical traditions. A peace that I will have to return to a few more times to fully appreciate it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018 edited
    I can't remember exactly how or why I ended up watching SPIRIT in a movie theatre when it came out (I guess I was hoping for a return to the magic of Dreamworks' PRINCE OF EGYPT), but I'm so glad I did. The opening scene alone was worth the ticket, giving me goosebumps all over, and I dragged my wife and kid with me the next day to watch it again. Sure, the movie is cheesy as hell, but in those moments when it works, it works really well.

I mean look at that and imagine watching it on the big screen and loud as hell.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I can't remember exactly how or why I ended up watching SPIRIT in a movie theatre when it came out (I guess I was hoping for a return to the magic of Dreamworks' PRINCE OF EGYPT), but I'm so glad I did. The opening scene alone was worth the ticket, giving me goosebumps all over, and I dragged my wife and kid with me the next day to watch it again. Sure, the movie is cheesy as hell, but in those moments when it works, it works really well.

i agree. an enjoyable movie with a wonderful melodic score by hans and crew. even most of the songs are really good, especially the 2 which are based on zimmers main theme, heard in the opening of the movie.
  10. Ralph Kruhm wrote

God damn I miss that late-90s early-2000s period of animated films that were a gorgeous mixture of 2D and CGI. I'm sure it's a childhood thing but there's something about the look that modern all-3D animated films just can't touch. Tarzan, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, The Iron Giant, The Prince of Egypt, Spirit... Not all of those are great movies but it's a shame that the lesson the studios decided to take away from their (sometimes undeserved) lack of success was that 2D animation was outdated, not to make better films within the medium.
  11. I completely agree. I mean, there are loads of great 3D animation movies, but I miss that 2D style as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2018 edited
    Don't forget the brilliant PRINCESS AND THE FROG! Also in TREASURE PLANET (by the same directors), and although the film was less good, the look was great!

Many of you young'uns have nostalgic relationship to these early 2000s movies, since you were kids at the time, while I was in my mid 20s. But I've come to appreciate them more in recent years. My nostalgia period will forever be the mid 80s to mid 90s -- without any CGI at all! (except the ball room scene in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and stuff like that, perhaps).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2018
    NP: THE BOURNE IDENTITY (John Powell)

One of the most influential scores of the 21st century!
    I am extremely serious.