• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Outlander Vol 1 (2015) - Bear McCreary

I'm not familiar with the show but since I love McCeary's work for Battlestar Galactica and since his Ountlander scores seem to be quite popular I finally obtained this album.
    It's very well made Celtic flavoured music. But such music I already have quite a bit, film music and other. So, I won't add the follow up albums. Very good, nonetheless.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2018
    The series is rather "soapy" (what we call 'kiosk literature' in Norway), but the first season is pretty good.

The score is great, especially the album you have. The second volume is a bit overkill, especially the Scottirhs stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2018 edited
    THE NUN - Abel Korzeniowski

Go listen to Christopher Young’s Bless the Child instead.
  2. I love what McCreary does with the Outlander main titles, giving each season (or even half season) a more or less differrent version, depending on the storyline. And as usual, his general scoring is flawless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018
    NP: OPERA SAUVAGE (Vangelis)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: OPERA SAUVAGE (Vangelis)

cool

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018 edited
    Not the emoji I would use for anything Vangelis, but yeah -- what a fine score. On to ANTARCTICA now, which is just as good -- if not better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2018 edited
    NP: RANG DE BASANTI (A.R. Rahman)

I've been on a Rahman binge recently. Wanted to go through my 21 albums by year. This is #16.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. ... The Planet is Arrakis, also known as - Dune.

NP: DUNE (1984) - Toto, Brian Eno

An enduring classic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2018
    NP: LIVE AT THE BARBICAN (Debbie Wiseman)

Some pretty powerful stuff. Almost too much at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2018
    NP: METROPOLIS (Gottfried Huppertz)

The Frank Strobel recording. Doesn't get much more classic than this.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote

This is an excellent recording and should be in everyone's collection.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

This is an excellent recording and should be in everyone's collection.

Huppertz was Korngold before Korngold was.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2018 edited
    Shame he didn't do much more (yes, I know he did some, but not on that level).

I wonder if this is the first time the "Dies Irae" was used so clearly in an original film score.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I love his Nibelungen score. In scope and grandeur comparable to Shore's Lord of the Rings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2018
    THE PERFECT STORM - JAMES HORNER

Fucking brilliant. Don't see it mentioned much here (though I know Stephen likes it). Quite underrated I must say. The unofficial release reveals a great deal of material that should have been on the original pressing, the action stuff especially.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2018
    It's one of my top 5 scores. And yes, the expanded release is even better than the already brilliant official album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018
    Wonder if it has been considered for an official expansion. Would definitely be worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018
    NP: ALL THE KING'S MEN (James Horner)

Pretty "big" score for a political drama film.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    NP: ALL THE KING'S MEN (James Horner)

Pretty "big" score for a political drama film.

I've never thought of that, but you're absolutely right. Those kinds of films almost never get big symphonic scores. I miss James Horner. I really love his approach to film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018 edited
    NP: THE CHUMSCRUBBER (James Horner)

I have no idea what film this is, but I like the score. The whimsical clarinet stuff, but also the gorgeous, floaty, ethereal bits in "Digging Montage". I programmed out the songs (first five tracks). Not too sure about the rock bits, though. Perhaps a bit too eclectic for its own good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2018
    NP: POINT OF NO RETURN (Hans Zimmer)

Beautiful through and through.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2018
    NP: FOOLS OF FORTUNE (Hans Zimmer)

Although pastiche, it's about as classically symphonic as Zimmer gets. Powerful and muscular. Very teutonic.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Late as it gets, but that's what gets air on the man's birthday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2018
    NP: MAYHEM (Steve Moore)

Such a cool score, and so totally ruined by the decision to include 70 minutes of music. This one needs some SERIOUS weeding to let it be the gem it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2018
    NP: THE SPECTACULAR NOW (Rob Simonsen)

Score is excellent, album is too long again at 65 minutes. After I started to re-acquire the albums I lost in my harddisk crash, I have to figure out how I 'playlisted' these albums in the first place. Annoyingly, I never wrote my playlist programmes down.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. James Horner - The New World

I don't this one is discussed often. There was of course the whole controversy back in time, when Malick essentially mistreated the written score in favor of two classical pieces, oft-repeated (Rheingold overture/prelude and one of Mozart's Piano Concertos) and only kept a few pieces of Horner's in the film.

Controversy aside, I do understand the choices at least related to the use of the Mozart concerto as the Pocahontas/Smith love theme, because Horner's own love theme gets relegated to the relationship between Pocahontas and John Rolfe. That way Malick can, even philosophically, discern between immature (Pocahontas as a child, loving the wild John Smith) and the mature love she feels for Christian Balfe's Rolfe. There is a certain clarity to this particular choice.

The music as written though harkens as something very rarely discussed in the work of James Horner. His relationship with nature, which is somewhat Romantic in nature. Horner's work is often called romantic in its popular sense, but there are certain elements that signal that his views were close to Romantic in its historical, late 18th-to-mid-19th century time. Braveheart introduces what I call the mystical history theme, which is supposed to harken at times past and immerse into historical events. That's how Braveheart starts and it is used again in the opening of Enemy at the Gates and (I guess also the opening of) Bobby Jones. The discovery of human beings as historical, living in a certain period of time and in constant relationship was a huge discovery by the Romantic philosophers and it's something that'd be too long to divulge into in deeper detail. Another aspect is the concept of nature.

Nature is a word of many meanings. There's a whole over 10-page article from the 1940s which is all but a list of different meanings. Be it however the English Lake Poets (especially Wordsworth) or the American Transcendentalist movement (Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau among others), there was the discovery that creativity is also what defines us as human beings and that we create our personal worlds. Nature could represent mind states and Romantic art uses the natural world, especially weather, for that in abundance. Just go through a series of Caspar David Friedrich paintings or Turner as proof. Malick (especially for those who remember The Thin Red Line) uses nature for that and in fact sets his characters as nature-sensitive. That kind of introspection is present in Horner's score. In fact the mystical attitude to nature gives the score momentum. In fact, to the point that it actually introduces one of Horner's late recurring motifs, the descending string canon (at some point picked up by Westenra) is what I call Horner's mystical nature motif. It recurs in Apocalypto, Avatar and... of all places the Magnificent Seven remake finale.

This mysticism, Romantic approach to nature, would be probably quite easy to pick that up in other Horner scores, ones that came before The New World and I'll have to look for that. When it comes to Terrence Malick scores, while I recognize nature and Witt's relationship with it (and nature's reactions to the violence) as a major theme in Thin Red Line, I never intently listened for it in the score. However both scores (The New World without the song, Thin Red Line without the choral piece and the Lupica album finale) and Desplat's The Tree of Life (whole album) represent bulk of my Spotify Nature playlist. I also added some Vaughan Williams to it (the CD I played in the other NP subject) and Alan Hovhaness (thanks, Tim, for that name!)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018
    Yeah, I like it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor