• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018
    Then we're agreed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ..and me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP: KING OF THIEVES - Benjamin Wallfisch

Wallfisch said he had great fun on this paying homage to some of his favourite composers such as John Barry, Henry Mancini and Lalo Schifrin and it shows. This score is snazzy and a lot of fun, I particularly loved the jazzed up version of Tchaikovsky's Sugar Plum Fairy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. @ The New World

I like even the chirping. Et les oiseaux chantent. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018 edited
    SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY - JOHN POWELL

So it’s been about a month since I managed to ween myself off this but I re-watched the film on a home entertainment platform last night (score sadly not as obvious in this mix) and had to visit the CD again.

It gets better with every listen. Powell is one talented mother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018
    LINCOLN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Perfect for a lazy Sunday evening. Soothing Americana to the max.

There were reviews of the film at the time of its release which complained that the score is too sentimental. Bullshit. I’m just grateful that music such as this can be written for a mainstream period drama today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WELCOME HOME, ROXY CARMICHAEL (Thomas Newman)

God, I love Newman's 80s synth scores (although this is 1990, stricty speaking).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. LSH wrote
    SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY - JOHN POWELL

So it’s been about a month since I managed to ween myself off this but I re-watched the film on a home entertainment platform last night (score sadly not as obvious in this mix) and had to visit the CD again.

It gets better with every listen. Powell is one talented mother.

I've been on a self imposed Star Wars sabbatical since I saw Solo in the cinema. No music, no films, no web sites, no books. It will end, when Solo is released on BluRay next week. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TWELVE CHORUSES (Miklos Rozsa)

Holy hallucinations, Batman! This is a great album! shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018
    LSH wrote
    LINCOLN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Perfect for a lazy Sunday evening. Soothing Americana to the max.

There were reviews of the film at the time of its release which complained that the score is too sentimental. Bullshit. I’m just grateful that music such as this can be written for a mainstream period drama today.

It's Spielberg, of course it's sentimental. But like you, I'm glad of it - - that's a wonderful score. I even like the source music tracks. Great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018
    NP: THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY (Wojciech Kilar & Franz Schubert)

Gorgeous (although I already have the Schubert material on other albums).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018 edited
    NP: THE LIGHTKEEPERS (Pinar Toprak)

Slow-moving and beautiful -- just what I like these days (although perhaps a bit too much 'mickey mousing' at times; lots of start/stop chord changes). Pinar hasn't really done a weak score yet, has she?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Slow-moving and beautiful -- just what I like these days (although perhaps a bit too much 'mickey mousing' at times; lots of start/stop chord changes). Pinar hasn't really done a weak score yet, has she?

I'm NOT a fan of her work on Krypton. That sound just isn't her.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear it. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PAPILLON (David Buckley)

Sooo good. Candidate for Top 10 score of the year for me. David Buckley writes sacral/choral music like there's no tomorrow!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - ANDREW LOCKINGTON

While still firmly a ‘middle ground’ composer, the guy is capable. I do hope he gets to stretch his muscles on something with merit not too far in the future.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: PAPILLON (David Buckley)

Sooo good. Candidate for Top 10 score of the year for me. David Buckley writes sacral/choral music like there's no tomorrow!

That second track takes the shine off the album/score though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love that track. Unusual sounds and approach. The album is constantly pulled between the more experimental and the more blissful, which I think provides a great dynamic.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2018
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm NOT a fan of her work on Krypton. That sound just isn't her.

-Erik-

It's such a shame because it's the type of show that cries out for bold scoring and instead, she's asked to deliver droning sound design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PAINTED VEIL (Alexandre Desplat)

Quite lovely, whenever he isn't nurturing that ol' ostinato trick.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote:
    NP: THE PAINTED VEIL (Alexandre Desplat)

Quite lovely(...)

Ehm... Bregt? There seems to be a technical glitch in the boards? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...I’m far more open to Desplat than I am Giacchino. He actually has a handful of scores I enjoy. And I’m keen to explore more. But my general criticism stands.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2018
    NP: Simon Pranglen - Peppermint

Not impressed :-/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018
    Caliburn wrote
    NP: Simon Pranglen - Peppermint

Not impressed :-/

Neither was I.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018 edited
    NP: THE LOVELY BONES (Brian Eno)

I love the film and score, but the original album had too little Eno and this expanded...uhm "score promo" has too much (a whopping 1 hour 45 minutes!). I need to set aside some time in order to whittle this down to a proper 50-minute album or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018
    NP: THE LAST VALLEY (John Barry)

Barry's "action"/suspense music still irks me after all these years, but the lusher, romantic -- even choral -- stuff is superb.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST VALLEY (John Barry)

Barry's "action"/suspense music still irks me after all these years, but the lusher, romantic -- even choral -- stuff is superb.

Barry appreciation. You've come a long way Thor cool beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I've warmed up considerably to him in recent years. Especially all non-suspense/action stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NATE AND HAYES (Trevor Jones)

Weird that I haven't checked out this before now. Something I'd be all over in my 20s -- and can still enjoy (even if I've veered somewhat away from this type of symphonic action scores in recent years).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MARIE WARD (Elmer Bernstein)

Beautiful score, although I wonder why Bernstein insisted on always using the Ondes Martenot all over the place.
    I am extremely serious.