• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018
    NP: MAO'S LAST DANCER (Christopher Gordon)

Gordon always delivers. Nice western-oriental blend, although the more pure Chinese folk stuff is a bit challenging at times.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: MARIE WARD (Elmer Bernstein)

Beautiful score, although I wonder why Bernstein insisted on always using the Ondes Martenot all over the place.

I believe Bernstein's fixation on the instrument had rather a lot to do with the lady who played it, Cynthia Millar...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018
    What? They had a thing?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He for her, certainly. Not sure of the messy details. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2018
    NP: HIDALGO (James Newton Howard)

This is quite good, but is rarely talked about, for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2018
    NP: GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING (Alexandre Desplat)

Another lovely one. Nice waltz, which has always been one of Desplat's strengths.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2018
    NP: CRIMES OF THE HEART (Georges Delerue)

Doesn't get more typical Delerue than this. Which is a good thing. cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2018
    Night Crossing Jerry Goldsmith

I feel like this one goes under the radar a bit (pun intended), but it's classic, definitive Goldsmith scoring from what I think was his best era. Incredible score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2018
    GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Always great (and slightly sad) to hear a score set so firmly in a style and era that you will never encounter again.

I love this. An early 'urban' and 'gritty' 90s score from Howard which might not have aged well but still sounds very fucking cool.

cool
  3. Steven wrote
    Night Crossing Jerry Goldsmith

I feel like this one goes under the radar a bit (pun intended), but it's classic, definitive Goldsmith scoring from what I think was his best era. Incredible score.

With Ballon a new German adaptation of the historic events, directed by Bully Herbig, was released in cinemas today.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2018
    The Predator Henry Jackman

Surprisingly decent. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The score is not bad (which to me, is NOT surprising, since Jackman is one of the few who can do electronica and orchestral with equal ease), but the film is borderline terrible. A shame. It's more that this type of score isn't really my taste these days, which is why I probably won't keep the promo.

Wow, I just realized that's a lot of sentiments at the same time:

* Love Jackman
    * The score is fine, even it isn't my "taste" these days
    * The film is rather bad
    * I'm not keeping the promo

dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    The score is not bad (which to me, is NOT surprising, since Jackman is one of the few who can do electronica and orchestral with equal ease)

It's more traditional orchestral music than anything else, which is a nice surprise. The action music isn't just ostinato after ostinato! Then again, it's not surprising that Jackman approached this one with his Good Composer's cap on given that he's big fan of Silvestri's Predator scores (specifically the second one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEATH AND THE MAIDEN (Wojciech Kilar)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Apparently (I've been told, not seen the film myself) Jackman's Predator score has a lot more electronics in the film but he decided to remove some of them for the album. However, that EP thing he released a couple weeks ago has three of the cues in their original form, with electronics. How odd! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018
    NP: FERNGULLY: THE LAST RAINFOREST (Alan Silvestri)

The score has some value (Silvestri is brilliant with synths, although more when he's composing on the synth's terms than approximating orchestral colours with it), but whose idea was it to include sound effects in every single track? I mean, if it had been like on Horner's THE NEW WORLD, where it's just in the beginning of the first track, then OK. But the whole damn thing?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018
    SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - JAMES HORNER

This is, in the simplest terms, just... lovely. It's scores like this that make me miss Horner the most. It's sounds so personal.

sad
  5. NP: The Invisible Man Returns - Hans J. Salter & Frank Skinner

Easing things in gently this October with this horror score from the 1940s. More romantic than horror scoring, this 20-minute suite is a delight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2018 edited
    NP: The Exorcism of Molly Hartley - Corey Allen Jackson

It seems that the 'shocker value' of this 2008 movie is more to do with the quality of the movie than how scary it is. The score is a decent enough effort filled with the things you would usually find in a straight-to-video type effort. Lots of ambient rumblings and soundscapes, out-of-the-blue stingers and some choral passages.

To be fair, some of the choral passages are quite solid and overall the score is very listenable despite its reliance on soundscapes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: The Return of Swamp Thing - Chuck Cirino

Mmm. It's certainly got its own style. And it's certainly on the cusp of falling from being an interesting and quirky listen to being a bit weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2018
    NP: MRS. DOUBTFIRE (Howard Shore)

So untypical Shore, but in a good way. I'd rather have this than the Cronenberg drones.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    NP: THE PRINCE OF TIDES (James Newton Howard)

Unashamedly romantic, but I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: MRS. DOUBTFIRE (Howard Shore)

So untypical Shore, but in a good way. I'd rather have this than the Cronenberg drones.

You mean...Dronenberg????
    :coat: shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PRINCE OF TIDES (James Newton Howard)

Unashamedly romantic, but I like it.

I’m typically a fan of JNH’s (many) 90s romantic scores but weirdly never connected with this one.

My Best Friend’s Wedding is my favourite. Some gorgeous little ideas in that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited
    NP: KING KONG (James Newton Howard)

The album is too long, and the aggressive action music is kinda offputting, but a few nice gems tucked away here and there, like "Central Park".
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Barry White - Together Brothers

What an accidental find. I was going (thanks, Ridley Scott and The Martian) through disco music. Because of the said movie, I started with Vicky Sue Robinson and Donna Summer. Funky crime score, a lot of fun, really.

But the sole fact that Barry White did a crime score is great!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had no idea that Barry White had even done a film score.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Me neither! And actually we found it out because my dad decided to play me some Barry White and picked the first random album he found on Spotify. After a song and a few instrumentals I went to check what it was and lo and behold, a film score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited
    Well colour me never known. Thanks for the heads up Pawel I'm going to check that out.

Did you know that his band, The Love Unlimited Orchestra did a cover of John Barry's King Kong.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Edited the title, as I got it wrong in my post.