• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Well colour me never known. Thanks for the heads up Pawel I'm going to check that out.

Did you know that his band, The Love Unlimited Orchestra did a cover of John Barry's King Kong.

Interesting. Though nothing beats the disco version of Alien you posted way back... and, as I found out, a disco version of Black Sunday!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    Everything was disco-ified back in the day.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018
    The Predator Henryjackman

I liked it more the first time I listened to it, when it had the surprise factor at how “old-fashioned” it is. Second time it just seems to go on and on a bit. But still, a pleasant surprise that it’s not awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018
    MEG - HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS

Jesus wept. This sounds like it was written (and recorded) about 15 years ago. And not in a good way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    MEG - HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS

Jesus wept. This sounds like it was written (and recorded) about 15 years ago. And not in a good way.

Didn't impress me either. But the film was great! Currently holding an impressive 20th place on my annual list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL (Jerry Goldsmith)

4 tracks, 40 minutes. Deleted all the expansion nonsense. Intense score, a waltz that intentionally grates.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Predator Henryjackman

I liked it more the first time I listened to it, when it had the surprise factor at how “old-fashioned” it is. Second time it just seems to go on and on a bit. But still, a pleasant surprise that it’s not awful.

I've listened to it a few times now, the first time I've actually wanted to return to one of Jackman's scores. It's just a damn solid action (sometimes adventure) score, with plenty of nice references to Silvestri's well-established music. 'Rescue' is a great track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    NP: Spider- Man (PlayStation 4 Soundtrack) - John Paesano

I LOVE the theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018
    NP: THE LAST VALLEY (John Barry)

The choral music is to die for! cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SEAQUEST DSV (John Debney)

I had this on CD many years ago, but then proceeded to sell/trade it. Don't know why. It's a lovely score, now re-acquired in digital file format.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Equus: Story of the Horse - Darren Fung

Been listening to a lot of very mediocre new scores of late but thankfully this breaks the trend. I love it - so tuneful, varied and so beautifully and interestingly orchestrated. There are so many standout cues. Easily one of the year's best.
  2. Thor wrote

I had this on CD many years ago, but then proceeded to sell/trade it. Don't know why. It's a lovely score, now re-acquired in digital file format.

The Main Theme always reminds a very little bit of the Star Wars Main Theme. In a pleasant way.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

The Main Theme always reminds a very little bit of the Star Wars Main Theme. In a pleasant way.

Volker

Oh, definitely. There's a statement of the theme in a later track that almost follows the melodic line of the STAR WARS theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018 edited
    David OC wrote
    Equus: Story of the Horse - Darren Fung

Been listening to a lot of very mediocre new scores of late but thankfully this breaks the trend. I love it - so tuneful, varied and so beautifully and interestingly orchestrated. There are so many standout cues. Easily one of the year's best.

Fung is tremendously talented. Loved his LOST YEARS, was then disappointed in GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY, but I'm now curious about this again. He's rather pastiche and I can't discern any particular voice, but his grasp of the orchestral idiom is undisputed. I also thought he was American for the longest time, but appears he's Canadian.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ENDURANCE (John Powell)

All over the place, but somehow comes together well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Femme Fatale Ryuichi Sakamoto

Very stylish.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2018
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST VALLEY (John Barry)

The choral music is to die for! cool

One of Barry's greatest strengths. I wish he'd been given more opportunities to write choral music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2018
    PLANES - MARK MANCINA

First listen... but this is very, VERY enjoyable. I like it a lot.
  3. The Quiet American - Craig Armstrong. Interesting and unique, with a lot of vocal work incorporated into the score and some great percussion. I'm liking it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2018
    Southall wrote
    Venom Ludwig Goransson

Vile.

I really love BLACK PANTHER :-/ Such a disappointment for me.
  4. Easy Rider (1969) - Steppenwolf; Jimy Hendrix ...

The latest addition to my collection. One of those iconic rock music soundtracks that everybody seems to know, but that found their way into my collection rather slowly. Anyway a great period sampler and, well the film goes without saying.
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018
    NP: BROTHERS (Johan Söderqvist)

"Twangy" and subdued. I like it, although it's by no means a favourite of his. Nobody can write this sort of stuff like Söderqvist.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (Johan Söderqvist)

I promised myself I would NOT play any horror scores in October, just to be as anti-American as possible, but this one is a gem. Sure, there's dissonance and horror tropes, but also immense beauty.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I wish more of his scores had been released. Some of the clips on his Soundcloud are great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy B Tyler

Very entertaining indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018 edited
    NP: A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (Mark Isham)

With all the annoying jazz/New Orleans tracks programmed out, the score can shine all on its own. Strange; I used to dislike Isham, now he's one of my favourites.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018
    His score for The Black Dahlia is one of my favourite scores ever, but I've never heard anything else by him I like as much. Eight Below is a decent score, but The Black Dahlia is on a whole different level. The recording is also superb, the trumpet sounds incredible.
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (Mark Isham)

With all the annoying jazz/New Orleans tracks programmed out, the score can shine all on its own. Strange; I used to dislike Isham, now he's one of my favourites.

I'd imagine a score like Crash would be right up your alley though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd imagine a score like Crash would be right up your alley though!

You imagine right. CRASH is not only my favourite Isham, but also in my Top 10 list of (primarily) electronic scores. IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH is in a similar territory, but not QUITE as good.
    I am extremely serious.