• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Legends of Tomorrow (2016) - Blake Neely

I have watched this show very sporadically. They seem to have a flashing mind eraser, just like the Man in Black. Since one is Marvel and the other DC, an interconnection seems unlikely.
    Anyhow, the music left a really positive impression and so I gave it a shot. This is very nice melodic TV scoring. Not too demanding, good background listen.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2018
    Comrade Detective Joe Kraemer

For those of us disappointed that he didn't return to Mission Impossible 6 (and if you weren't, what's wrong with you?), this recent release of a 2017 TV series is a welcome surprise.

It's very similiar to his Rogue Nation score, almost quoting it directly in places. The orchestra doesn't quite sound as large, but the writing is just as quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018
    THE NUTCRACKER AND THE FOUR REALMS - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Will need a few more listens but it's certainly very pretty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018 edited
    SUSPIRIA - Thom Yorke

The most captivating horror score I’ve heard in years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2018
    LSH wrote

It's all very James Newton Howard-y, but it doesn't have much of a hook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's extremely James Newton Howard-y, especially in the softer, delicate material. But I agree, doesn't have the thematic weight of some of his other scores from the same genre.
  2. Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

No, that would be his Peter Pan score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    It's extremely James Newton Howard-y, especially in the softer, delicate material. But I agree, doesn't have the thematic weight of some of his other scores from the same genre.

That's been his problem in the whole of the 2010s and even parts of the 2000s. With a few exceptions, like MALEFICENT.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2018
    Justin Hurwitz - First Man

I love this score, especially after seeing the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

No, that would be his Peter Pan score.

This is what I come here for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2018
    NP: THE NUTCRACKER AND THE FOUR REALMS (James Newton Howard)

Pretty and nice, but ultimately a bit anonymous. Howard has done great classical pastiche before, like on RESTORATION (a fantastic score and brilliant merge with the Händel stuff), so it's not like it's new territory. But there is something 'lacking', I think, in his scores in the last 10-15 years that I can't quite put my finger on.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Bad Times at the El Royale (Michael Giacchino)

My god, is this ... boring. I hope the movie is more interesting?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. The Incredibles 2 (Michael Giacchino)

Maybe I'm getting an allergic reaction to Giacchino, but this started to work on my nerves rather quickly. Always those shrill trumpets. Plus the fact it's underscoring a poorer Incredibles film. Hmmn, Giacchino just doesn't do it for my like in his Medal of Honor days
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2018
    Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald (James Newton Howard)

Certainly not as fantastic as I'd hoped. The end credits track released earlier is still a ripper though, more of that please.
  5. NP: The Vikings (1958/2018) - Mario Nascimbene
    The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, Nic Raine

Just started playing. The sound is spectacular. A fantastic release out of the blue.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2018 edited
    FIRST MAN | justin hurwitz

I'm very curious to see the film but it didn't get a lot of attention or advertising here in Belgium, for some reason. A rather unusual score, with some temptracking bleeding through though (Gravity in Appolo 11 Launch for example), but overall nice to listen to. The main theme is an odd march-like melody, with lots of variations throughout the score. Highlights are The Landing and End Credits. Lovely theme also for Neil (I think).

Has anyone seen the film? Doesn't look as outspoken as other films of Damien Chazelle.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2018
    I've seen it. Not terribly impressed.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Saw it a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was an amazing film in a lot of ways. But I think ‘Apollo 13’ is still my favourite Apollo film, it showed the risks and the danger but it also showed the joy, wonder and amazing potential of space exploration. ‘First Man’ I just found a little too unremittingly bleak in terms of the dangers and high stakes of it all. I liked the score too, particularly the use of harp and theremin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2018 edited
    APOLLO 13 is in a whole other league, as is THE RIGHT STUFF. One good thing I'd like to say about FIRST MAN, though, is the sound design.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Dracula (1978) - John Williams

The Varese Deluxe Edition arrived today. I'm too tired tonight to give it the listen it deserves. I just sampled the first few tracks of the score CD. I sounds great. A wonderful package over all.

Volker
  8. Joseph Trapanese - Robin Hood

MERRY MEN! ROLL OUT!!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018
    Is it good?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. As a guilty pleasure if your brain is completely off? I guess.

But it does sound like the producers found a long lost version of the legend in which Robin Hood accidentally discovers Optimus Prime in the Sherwood Forest.

And together they have to battle The Joker.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As a guilty pleasure if your brain is completely off? I guess.

But it does sound like the producers found a long lost version of the legend in which Robin Hood accidentally discovers Optimus Prime in the Sherwood Forest.

And together they have to battle The Joker.

Oh, wow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    APOLLO 13 is in a whole other league, as is THE RIGHT STUFF. One good thing I'd like to say about FIRST MAN, though, is the sound design.

First Man is a great addition to those two movies but THE RIGHT STUFF still rules.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2018
    NP: THE GRINCH (Danny Elfman)

Jesus Christ, this is annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018
    NP: FIELD OF DREAMS (James Horner)

Perfection.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE GRINCH (Danny Elfman)

Jesus Christ, this is annoying.

Got through about three tracks before I gave up. Nothing Elfman has done in the last 5 years at least has worked for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018 edited
    I have a somewhat different angle. I can hardly sit through any new Hollywood/blockbuster-type assignment he does these days (THE GRINCH, JUSTICE LEAGUE, ALICE TROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, GOOSEBUMPS, AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, EPIC and so on) but I'm ALL OVER whatever he does in the drama/indie landscape (DON'T WORRY HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT, TULIP FEVER, THE CIRCLE, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, THE END OF THE TOUR, THE UNKNOWN KNOWN, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, PROMISED LAND etc.).

So I have an extremely shizophrenic relationship to present-day Elfman. My completism urge has more or less died (there are probably some 10-12 of his recent scores I haven't yet bought in physical format -- which would have been unheard of 10 years ago).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2018
    I'd forgotten about a few of those to be fair - liked Don't Worry and Tulip Fever.
    I think often composers do get to a certain age where they are past their prime and the music they write is either extremely derivative of their old work or is fairly boring and unmemorable, often utilising modern scoring techniques to not great effect. I don't want to generalise and hope that doesn't come across as insulting or condescending, as I think there are many cases where that is absolutely untrue. But it's surely just a natural thing - illness complicating things, not as much energy etc.
    I love that many composers still go for it long past a traditional retirement age though, it's inspiring, and some of the work done by John Williams in the last twenty years would have to be some of the best I've ever heard, so there you go.