• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018
    Quite like that list, real shame about Solo though. If I were Powell I'd be properly pissed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018 edited
    THE LAST KINGDOM - John Lunn

Don't bother with this one. Unless you really like ethnic wailing and tracks that spin their wheels doing the same thing for a really long time.

Ouch. Of all of the several hundreds scores I've heard this year, this is actually in my top 3. Absolutely marvelous score! But I haven't seen the series yet. Looks kinda hokey.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

Don't bother with this one. Unless you really like ethnic wailing and tracks that spin their wheels doing the same thing for a really long time.

Ouch. Of all of the several hundreds scores I've heard this year, this is actually in my top 3. Absolutely marvelous score! But I haven't seen the series yet. Looks kinda hokey.

Ha! Isn't it funny how subjective our tastes are? Knowing that you like this so much I'm almost tempted to give it a second chance. Maybe everyone loves this and I'm just way off track here. I'm glad you liked it so much, because I really like John Lunn and hope the best for him.
  2. Timon wrote
    The shortlist for the Oscars for best Original Score has been released:

“Annihilation”
    “Avengers: Infinity War”
    “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
    “Black Panther”
    “BlacKkKlansman”
    “Crazy Rich Asians”
    “The Death of Stalin”
    “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
    “First Man”
    “If Beale Street Could Talk”
    “Isle of Dogs”
    “Mary Poppins Returns”
    “A Quiet Place”
    “Ready Player One”
    “Vice”

The most upsetting and surreal missing contender from this list is 'Solo' by John Powell, wich has been disqualified, as has already been announced.

I hope Marco Beltrami will receive a new nomination and when it comes to original music I liked how the score for Annihilation by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow worked in the film (and that trailer!).

About half of this list I still have to check out. Will Justin Hurwitz win like Steven Price did for his Dramatic Space Score in 2014?

It is a shame about SOLO. Why was it disqualified?

I like this whole shortlist thing. I'm glad to see some big heart-on-sleeve scores here. Those don't usually get a whole lot of love from the academy. I'm sure the dull and unpleasant ones will end up getting nominated, but I really hope MARRY POPPINS wins it all. Of this list it is the most deserving, in my opinion. I'm really glad to see THE DEATH OF STALIN on here, and pretty shocked. I would never have expected it to get any notice from awards groups. I quite liked BLACK PANTHER, CRAZY RICH ASIANS, FANTASTIC BEASTS, and VICE, and would be happy to see any of those scores nominated. And I would be happy to see Silvestri get a nomination, for either of his scores.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see FIRST MAN win. I still need to see that film. I understand the score works really well in context. It just didn't do a whole lot on its own for me.
  3. They were too late with paperwork application.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I've enjoyed the series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cheers, Tim. I'll see the first episode on Netflix, just to know what it is about, and how it looks. The album is my current no. 4 (I've decided to have both TV and film on my top 10 this year).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2018
    BUMBLEBEE - Dario Marianelli

Strange score. I was really looking forward to it, based on the strength of DM's work with the director Travis Knight - Kubo and the Two Strings, which was fantastic. I loved the Darkest Hour last year as well. But this feels a tad too mechanical. And so many different composers in there. At some points, it sounds straight out of a RC action score, at times pure Marianelli, others very similar to T. Newman (I'm sure one cue was temped on a Finding Nemo track) and sometimes Spielberg/Williams influenced. Not a bad theme, and some nice tracks though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2018
    Jules wrote

But this feels a tad too mechanical.

You might even say robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018 edited
    Jules wrote

Strange score. I was really looking forward to it, based on the strength of DM's work with the director Travis Knight - Kubo and the Two Strings, which was fantastic. I loved the Darkest Hour last year as well. But this feels a tad too mechanical. And so many different composers in there. At some points, it sounds straight out of a RC action score, at times pure Marianelli, others very similar to T. Newman (I'm sure one cue was temped on a Finding Nemo track) and sometimes Spielberg/Williams influenced. Not a bad theme, and some nice tracks though.

Struggling to connect with the action material - whilst I do appreciate that it is far more listenable than Jablonsky's stuff. Might take a while. The softer stuff is really nice, though heavily Newman influenced. Wish there was more of that.
  4. Mortal Engines (Tom Holkenborg)

Is it a crime that I actually enjoyed parts of Mortal Engines? The score opened with a surprising suite, and unleashed various cues that I truly enjoyed ("Shan Guo" and the action track "No Going Back" for instance). Okay this is not high art but I was so afraid I would hear the same trash of his previous scores. This was actually pretty good all things considering.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thor wrote

I enjoyed this one as well, was very hypnotizing and actually calmed me down when I was stuck in traffic smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2018
    Thomas and his legendary "road rage". wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Thomas and his legendary "road rage". wink

Oh, you remember that. It's worse than ever tongue
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Mortal Engines (Tom Holkenborg)

Is it a crime that I actually enjoyed parts of Mortal Engines? The score opened with a surprising suite, and unleashed various cues that I truly enjoyed ("Shan Guo" and the action track "No Going Back" for instance). Okay this is not high art but I was so afraid I would hear the same trash of his previous scores. This was actually pretty good all things considering.

That London suite was surprisingly enjoyable for me. The last half in particular was really great. I didn’t find anything else on the album that I want to listen to again, but that suite is going on my 2018 playlist.
  8. NP: Bram Stoker's Darcula (1992) - Woziech Kilar

A 70 minutes playlist I made from the recent gorgeous La-La-Land release. I added those suites from the bonus material and replaced "The hunt builds" and "Ascension / The End" with their respective score versions. This seems less repetitive a listening experience than the complete score is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2018
    NP: MARIE WARD (Elmer Bernstein)

A relatively new discovery, but quickly rocketing to one of my favourite Bernstein scores of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

As per tradition, that's the first album I listen to on the New Year.

In another note, after playing Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault I have been thinking a bit of scores for films about the Pacific Theater. And I still don't think there are enough films/games featuring it.
  10. Vangelis - Blade Runner

It IS 2019 after all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2019
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Blade Runner

It IS 2019 after all!

I'm disappointed by the lack of flames shooting out of smoke towers in my city. I was promised more flames shooting out of smoke towers.
  11. You're not from Los Angeles though, are you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's true. Perhaps the extended Blade Runner universe is more realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is that the one with Batman or the one with the other ones? I can never remember.
  12. As I'm not sure what you're getting at exactly, it was Batman Begins that was screened by Nolan to the crew telling them "that's our Gotham City" (which later turned into the Los Angeles of 1995 as The Dark Knight was inspired by Heat).
  13. We were promised flying cars. Instead what we get is a re-release of the 20th century. angry spin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2019 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As I'm not sure what you're getting at exactly, it was Batman Begins that was screened by Nolan to the crew telling them "that's our Gotham City" (which later turned into the Los Angeles of 1995 as The Dark Knight was inspired by Heat).

Sounds a little self-involved to show his own Batman Begins to tell his crew how Gotham should look like biggrin .
  14. Yeah, before it was made even biggrin . I meant Blade Runner was the model.
  15. No posts here for the past 22 days!

Today I'm listening to some of the best things I've heard in 2018, and some recommendations I haven't been able to hear yet.

I gave MAX AND ME another listen. I still think it's fantastic.

Right now I'm giving FRONTIER OF LOVE by Mark Chait a second listen. It's really good. I'm enjoying it even more than I did initially. Anyone who enjoys beautiful orchestral scores with some Asia influence should definitely check this one out.
  16. It was my birthday on Monday and I got (myself) the best present ever - the complete score to Apollo 13 just released by Intrada! In came in the mail yesterday and I've been listening to it on repeat of course! My favorite score of all time (in major part to Tim Morrison's trumpet perfection) and I'm thrilled to finally have all of it! biggrin
  17. Filmscoregirl wrote
    It was my birthday on Monday and I got (myself) the best present ever - the complete score to Apollo 13 just released by Intrada! In came in the mail yesterday and I've been listening to it on repeat of course! My favorite score of all time (in major part to Tim Morrison's trumpet perfection) and I'm thrilled to finally have all of it! biggrin

Ooh, that's a must-get for me. I haven't ordered it yet, but I certainly will. I just re-watched the film just so that I could hear the cues I've never had on album. That's just such an excellent score.