• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019
    christopher wrote
    I gave MAX AND ME another listen. I still think it's fantastic.

Not to be a party pooper, but I really hate that score. There is nothing wrong with the musical vernacular per se (I have other McKenzie scores that are also over-the-top obvious like that which I love, like BLIZZARD or THE GREATEST MIRACLE), but I just can't stand the syrupy approach here, especially considering the subject matter. The score is a provocation to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. That's really too bad. It's right up my alley. I don't love it as much as THE GREATEST MIRACLE, but they're in that same style that McKenzie does so well. I think it's my 2nd favorite score from 2018, behind MARY POPPINS RETURNS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019
    Fair enough. I know that many people love it, so I'm OK with that. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

Not to be a party pooper, but I really hate that score. There is nothing wrong with the musical vernacular per se (I have other McKenzie scores that are also over-the-top obvious like that which I love, like BLIZZARD or THE GREATEST MIRACLE), but I just can't stand the syrupy approach here, especially considering the subject matter. The score is a provocation to me.

I am not too keen on it myself. It seems to try too hard at tugging at the heart strings, beating the listener about the ears saying 'you WILL feel the emotion'.

I know that's what film music is meant to do - to make you feel something. But MAX AND ME layers it on too much. My feelings on this score surprise me as it obviously hits the mark for a lot of people but my own response has been this from my first listen. And in subsequent listens too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2019
    Same here, which is why I eventually had to delete it from my iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am not too keen on it myself. It seems to try too hard at tugging at the heart strings, beating the listener about the ears saying 'you WILL feel the emotion'.

I know that's what film music is meant to do - to make you feel something. But MAX AND ME layers it on too much. My feelings on this score surprise me as it obviously hits the mark for a lot of people but my own response has been this from my first listen. And in subsequent listens too.

rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

I enjoy it as an album, but yeah, I can see where you're coming from here. Uplifting cue after uplifting cue after uplifting cue...in a film about the Holocaust? Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's my problem with McKenzie in general. He's too "transparent" in terms of emotional ranges and musical vernacular (a problem I also have with Michael J. Lewis, btw). Sometimes, I can enjoy it for what is, in the cases of BLIZZARD, THE GREATEST MIRACLE (even though that sits rather uncomfortably with me too) or DURANGO -- my favourite of his -- but MAX & ME just triggered all the wrong receptors in me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never been able to enjoy McKenzie for that very reason. It's difficult to explain, but for me it's like the music tells you what to feel rather than affecting how you feel (a bit like comparing McKenzie to Horner). I'm sure it does move many listeners, but not me.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

rolleyes

Yes, I know. I should like it. But I don't.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2019
    FalkirkBairn wrote

completely agree
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  5. Wow. I'm really surprised by how many of you dislike that one. I don't think it's any more on-the-nose than THE GREATEST MIRACLE was. Thor said he liked that one. Do the rest of you who dislike MAX AND ME feel similarly about TGM?

NP: Remi Sans Famille - Romaric Laurence

First listen. This is nice.
  6. I wish I couldn't contribute to this conversation, but alas I haven't heard anything from Mark McKenzie.

NP: Cold Mountain - Gabriel Yared

Yared's music for me is always beauty mixed with depression - but I love him still. smile
  7. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I wish I couldn't contribute to this conversation, but alas I haven't heard anything from Mark McKenzie.

shocked
    He's my favorite composer! Do yourself a huge favor and check out THE GREATEST MIRACLE. It's fantastic. There are a ton of themes and some of the most gorgeous music that's been composed this century. If you like that I have other recommendations. All his stuff is on Spotify and itunes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2019
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I wish I couldn't contribute to this conversation, but alas I haven't heard anything from Mark McKenzie.

*cough* *cough*

THE MUSIC OF MARK MCKENZIE
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-music … -mckenzie/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Haha, just settle down now you guys - it's harder to be in tune with a film composer if you haven't seen ANY of his films. Sheesh. wink But that's perfect Erik - I'll give those episodes a listen - thank you much! Then I'll be able to get a good sense of his style. smile
  9. Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever seen any of his films....

Actually, I did watch the third Dragonheart film just so that I could hear his score in context. But it's the only one of his films I've ever seen.
  10. Oh well...I guess then, where have I been? No excuses left for me not knowing who he his if nobody else has seen his films either. tongue How did you first hear of him then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2019
    NP: THE GRINCH (Danny Elfman)

God, this is annoying. FLUBBER flashback all over.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Oh well...I guess then, where have I been? No excuses left for me not knowing who he his if nobody else has seen his films either. tongue How did you first hear of him then?

No worries. I wasn't criticizing. Merely pointing out that it's not surprising that you haven't seen his films. Most of them are foreign, Hallmark, or straight-to-video affairs.

I heard about him on film music message boards! And now you have, too smile

Thor wrote
    NP: THE GRINCH (Danny Elfman)

God, this is annoying. FLUBBER flashback all over.

Yeah, I wasn't wild about that score. I did like "Welcome Christmas." That he could segue from a tune used in the original movie to something so grand was impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019
    NP: MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Just gorgeous. I've returned to this for the third night in a row.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. A story wise flawed but gorgeous to behold film that Morricone helped as much as he possibly could.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Khaled Mouzanar - Capharnaüm

Impressive music. It's a shame he only writes the music to films his wife directs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    Khaled Mouzanar - Capharnaüm

Impressive music. It's a shame he only writes the music to films his wife directs.

Don't remember much of the music, but the film was okay. Had some issues, though -- far too drawn-out, and a lot of the "melodrama" didn't sit that right with me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VICTORIA (Martin Phipps & Ruth Barrett)

Very nice, although largely monothematic.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. NP: WarGames (1983) - Arthur B. Rubinstein

A 31 minutes sans dialogue playlist that I edited from the recent Quartet release of the score.
    This is your typical early 80s SciFi score, with a mixture of symphonic and disco pop music. It's solid yet nothing really special.
    The film is still a favourite of mine. I remember watching it spellbound when I first saw it on a rented VHS cassette.

Volker
  14. NP: Apollo 13 (1995) - James Horner

The expanded Intrada release arrived today. The original album is fine in its own right, its just that I don't like dialogues in Film music albums.
    Since I never had the promo, this expanded release is a welcome addition to my collection. James Horner at his finest.

Volker
  15. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Apollo 13 (1995) James Horner at his finest.

Sure is! My absolute favorite score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019
    I have the promo (in digital format), which is just perfect. I don't want any other edition of this, ever. Great score (obviously).
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Apollo 13 (1995) - James Horner

The expanded Intrada release arrived today. The original album is fine in its own right, its just that I don't like dialogues in Film music albums.
    Since I never had the promo, this expanded release is a welcome addition to my collection. James Horner at his finest.

Volker

I still need to pick this up. I also never had the promo. It's going to be great to have the album without the dialogue and songs.

NP - CALL THE MIDWIFE - Maurizio Malagnini

Just lovely.